Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strung like a horse. Glad

Default Re: Strung like a horse. Glad

I'd like to take issue with one thing, which has nothing to do with this band.

My biggest gripe is about hippynthehills' logic in terms of who may, or may not, have an opinion on this band. You say they have gigs all over, they have a video, they have a management team, etc... and as such, unless any of us have similar things, then we seem unqualified to have a negative opinion. Well, first off, if you're going to use that logic then you also need to tell anyone with a positive opinion of the band and its video that unless they too have a slew of gigs coming up all over US and in Costa Rica, a video they will post, a management team, etc... then they too are unqualified to have an opinion. You're being inconsistent and illogical if you ban one opinion based on a universal requirement and not banning another for the same requirement.

Second, there are a lot of talented folks on here, many of whom are far more talented than these folks in your band. And yet, they don't have nation-wide gigs, videos, or management teams. Many of them have full-time and successful careers, and families, and other things that keep them from pursuing music full-time (such as a desire to make a decent living), and making videos, and having management teams. Many of them play in very good local bands that never attempt to do anything more than play locally. Many of them only play at jams...and they tear it up. Of course if your only criteria for someone having musical talent is making videos, booking gigs (which is not really that hard BTW), and having management teams...well, then I question how much you really know about music itself, as opposed to the veneer of being "in a band."

In our band alone we have some exceptionally good pickers (and I don't include myself in that statement) but they're all grown-ups, with careers, and families, and other hobbies...so it's often hard enough to arrange a handful of gigs where we can all make it, much less tour nationally, make videos, and have a management team. Just as an example, as good as our banjo player is, he is also a very successful surgeon with a passion for historical medical research, so he doesn't really have time to tour the country, make videos, and have a management team. But, using your logic, I guess that no matter how good he is on his instrument, or how much he knows about music, to you his opinion would be moot because, well, he's obviously not touring in Costa Rica, or making videos, or working with a management team...though he does manage a team of surgeons when he's not tearing up note-for-note perfect Scruggs breaks at breakneck speeds.

By your logic, no one can have an opinion on a president...unless they've been president. No one can have an opinion on the call a coach made in a football game...unless they've been a head football coach. No one can have an opinion on a TV show or movie...unless they've been in a TV show or made a movie. I don't usually go on rants, but I absolutely hate the old fall back of, "Oh, you don't like my friend's band...well...show me your band and maybe I'll consent to at least recognizing your opinion as possibly valid."
    Last edited by Alex Orr; Jan-23-2014 at 9:40am.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alex Orr For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    ...Many of them have full-time and successful careers, and families, and other things that keep them from pursuing music full-time (such as a desire to make a decent living), and making videos, and having management teams....
    ...and killing zombies.

I'd like to add that economical success of a genre (let's call it that for brevity's sake) just means that many people seem to like it, but not that you have to be one of them to qualify for an opinion.
    I also like to add that quality of playing is independent of genre - e.g. a singer should have good intonation, no matter what the song. All you need for an opinion is ears. The question how successful a band apparently is may be open but is boring - the really interesting question is how successful the same band could be if only...

Now back to watching Buffy...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I know it's hard to tell on a text based message board, but when I asked people to post their video, their song, or their gig date, it was done with tongue placed firmly in cheek and whiskey glass placed firmly in hand, not as a defensive measure.

I hate that about message boards. The true emotion cannot be conveyed. I never expected every single person to love the band, but I was expecting more than "the singer sucks" lol. I don't mind criticism, especially from people who are more talented or knowledgable than me, that's one way we learn to be better. Sorry if I came off like goober, that was never my intention. I like to joke and laugh and kid around, and I forget it doesn't always come across like that. Cheers and happy jamming.

Quote Originally Posted by hippyNthehills View Post
    I know it's hard to tell on a text based message board, but when I asked people to post their video, their song, or their gig date, it was done with tongue placed firmly in cheek and whiskey glass placed firmly in hand, not as a defensive measure.

I hate that about message boards. The true emotion cannot be conveyed. I never expected every single person to love the band, but I was expecting more than "the singer sucks" lol. I don't mind criticism, especially from people who are more talented or knowledgable than me, that's one way we learn to be better. Sorry if I came off like goober, that was never my intention. I like to joke and laugh and kid around, and I forget it doesn't always come across like that. Cheers and happy jamming.
    You didn't do yourself any favours with the "oh yeah, well they have management and a slick website and btw, where's your next gig, LOL" kind of stuff. There's no point in posting something unless you're prepared to accept a variety of responses including ones you don't agree with. Arguing with someone's opinion is a bit pointless. There has been a range of responses, not just negative ones which is what you would expect. I like some aspects of the band, not others but I don't think I'll bother with specifics, mainly because I don't feel like defending my opinion or being insulted about my lack of abliltiy or success in the music business.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandolirius For This Useful Post:

Just for the record, I apologized for my earlier comment (directly to the OP). I was wrong to be negative about someone else's creativity, and while a public video is open to criticism, I do appreciate what goes into the production. I believe he stated up front that it wasn't for everyone.

Juvenile in the extreme has never been an impediment to making it big. In addition to Aristophanes and Mozart, there is also

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warrant_cherry.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	112997

I liked the Night of the Living Dead homage, and the inexplicable Mad Max reference. And of course, as mentioned above, the Monsanto mention.

I do think that the zombie concept makes most sense when it is pointed out, in films like 28 Days Later or shows like The Walking Dead (and more lightheartedly in the film Warm Bodies), that the world we live in and the world after the zombie apocalypse are basically the same. What distinguishes the living from the dead? Well, for one thing, finding joy in doing something you love rather than stumbling through life following a herd.

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

Loved it man.

Someone needs to tell those folks: Double Tap To The Head, Man! Its The Only Way To Be Sure!

Well, either that or take off and nuke 'em from orbit.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    You didn't do yourself any favours with the "oh yeah, well they have management and a slick website and btw, where's your next gig, LOL" kind of stuff. There's no point in posting something unless you're prepared to accept a variety of responses including ones you don't agree with. Arguing with someone's opinion is a bit pointless. There has been a range of responses, not just negative ones which is what you would expect. I like some aspects of the band, not others but I don't think I'll bother with specifics, mainly because I don't feel like defending my opinion or being insulted about my lack of abliltiy or success in the music business.
    I totally get what you are saying, and I take responsibility when I get out of line.

I know there are a lot of good players on here, way better than i will ever be, but there are also a lot of basement dwellers on the internet. My poor attempt at sarcasm was directed more to the ones who sit on their butts and wish, while other guys and gals are out there making music.

Even if it's not your preferred genre, I believe you have to respect the ability, but that's just me, maybe y'all feel differently. It's hard and takes most people a lot of practice and dedication to play a song in time and make it sound worth listening to, even harder to play and sing, so my hats off to anybody that has the balls and ability to do it live, even more respect if they figure a way to make even a modest living doing it.

Cheers and happy jamming.

11. The following members say thank you to hippyNthehills for this post:

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Well you have succeeded in getting over 2600 views to this thread.....so mission accomplished and even Scott likes it.....

More power to you....it ain't my preference in music but.......

13. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

The op's link took me to the band's publicity page. So, which video? (Fix link?)

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

That was fun, pure and simple. I am an old guy who's not a true zombie fan but who does like and appreciates the good music and the efforts that were taken to make the production. Kudos to all that were involved. Strung Like A Horse, I'm a fan now!
    1990 Sigma Dreadnought
    1970 Aria Dreadnought Japan made
    2012 Braund F-5 #5 made by Terry Braund - Corona,CA
    2013 Kala Tenor Ukulele

As the manager for Strung, I enjoy reading all the critiques on the band. This actually helps me in helping the band develop. These boys are young and no they are not in anyway a traditional style bluegras, newgrass, or even garage grass. They do however fit somewhere between all those styles. They never claim to be spokesman for the industry, but just young boys turning out music they enjoy writing. I'm sure over the next few years they will write somewhat differently like all musicians tend to. They are indeed very creative as you can tell by their sound and videos. The one thing is that they are different and put on one hell of a show. And when they play people come out to see them, and some of these people will then become fans of bluegrass and americana. I believe they are opening the sound pallete of music for a younger audience. They continue to work hard and tour continously trying to build a fan base and as their fan base grows so will their musical taste and talent. Thank you to the fan that posted it on here and thank all of you for your thoughts. Maybe you'll make it to a show and get pleasantly surprised at the good times.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buckwildjim For This Useful Post:

mando wasn't bad, kinda swinging.....and gives a great light mood too, tongue in cheek I think
    thanks doood for the link-enjoyed it

ya know, in the old days, it would been a theramin.....or strings doing chromatics

there are old white guys lurking everywhere.....LOL... a different kind of zombie!

flame suit on, ......!!!!!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

...and once again it happened - the ghosts we call upon in a seance thread enter the Cafe, alive!

Somehow, it helped me remember why this zombie band video seemed so familiar to me...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Didn't really like the vido. Like the hand's creative energy. I don't have any gigs.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

It made me cry, especially the nude scenes, but I'm just an old softie.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

22. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post:

I liked the song/video for Gypsy Jane a fair bit, but I couldn't get the zombie one to play. I do have to say that their name is mildly unfortunate, b/c when I pulled them up on youtube, the side bar and the screen after their video was inundated with many very explicit animal husbandry videos (for lack of a better descriptor). I wasn't amused by that so much.
    Newbie player
    Pickin' and grimacing

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet_of_the_apes.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	113624

George Taylor: I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it.

George Taylor: You Maniacs! You bumped it up!
    Last edited by M.Marmot; Feb-02-2014 at 3:16am. Reason: i have really learned a valuable lesson.

I thoroughly enjoyed the video. That, despite the fact that I am in no way enamoured of the zombie genre, is a testament to how cleverly filmed, edited and produced the clip was, combined with excellent musicianship with real originality.

The self-appointed bluegrass police getting their knickers in a knot only made me smile even more. Very entertaining. I wish the band well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    The self-appointed bluegrass police getting their knickers in a knot only made me smile even more. Very entertaining. I wish the band well.
    I didn't see any posts criticizing the video because it wasn't bluegrass, it seemed to me that the criticism was to the OP's response to that first post that didn't like the singing.

Watched two of their vids. Conflicted.

Musicianship was fine, not my style but no doubt good pickin'. Energy was 'way up there, admirable. Original songs, interesting but not memorable, IMHO; two days later, I'm not whistling either of them.

Technically, both vids well-produced, well-acted (in their particular style). Appropriate to the music? Depends. Definitely not my cup of tea (or of Type O). The fewer dismembered bodies, blood-smeared lips, and rounds of ammo shot off, the better I enjoy the music.

On the sub-text: if one posts a video for comments, guess what? One gets comments. And the value of those comments, IMHO, does not depend on the performance resume´of the commenter.

I guess you could call me a "pro" now, since I play about 200 (small-time, local) gigs per year. None of them involve serious touring, video productions, or zombies, so I'm not in Strung's league in those respects. Doesn't make my opinion any more or less valid than that of someone who only plays in the rec room, or someone who doesn't play at all.

Popular acceptance is a somewhat unreliable variable in determining artistic merit. Most of us enjoy styles of music that don't achieve, and have never achieved, the overall popularity of the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, AC/DC, or even Motorhead. Doesn't mean we think our bluegrass, Celtic, old-timey, classical, or string jazz is in any way "inferior."

Wish Strung all the success they can achieve. If they came to my area, I might go see 'em. Look forward eagerly to a vid where no one dies, though.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

https://www.facebook.com/events/1386..._mall_activity

if you liked them go vote for them. thanks a lot!!