Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strung like a horse. Glad

Default Re: Strung like a horse. Glad

Thanks for all the great comments. I knew it would not appeal to all. I just wish I had not posted it here lol. I meant to put it in the rock/rockabilly section. Can a kind moderator possibly move it for me?

It wasn't Shaun of the Dead but it was fun to watch and much better than Thriller!

"Bill Monroe, Zombie Hunter"

That's more publicity than they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    And why is that? Looks like some pretty talented and imaginative fellas having a little bit of fun with their music.
    Heaven forbid that.....having fun with music.

I thought it was pretty funny. I'm sure you'd have a good time at one of their gigs (assuming you kept your head on!).
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Like I said earlier, post up your cool video that you and your band wrote, produced, and directed. With an original song as well. Lol

Here's two more by SLAH. No zombies in these.

http://vimeo.com/m/35462701
    Byrd Dog

http://vimeo.com/m/46930173
    Gypsy Jane

Blog Entries

Here was my first reaction. Man, that looks like it was a lot of fun to make. Just a real rip to be part of.

At the end of the day that was still my strongest reaction. Man, what a cool project to be involved with. Just for the fun of it.

That being said, I think, from an artistic, musical point of view, my tastes and preferences are irrelevant. I don't watch a lot of stuff anyway.

I will say that anything you actually did is going to be better than any of the perfect videos I have never made.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by hippyNthehills View Post
    Here's two more by SLAH. No zombies in these.

http://vimeo.com/m/35462701
    Byrd Dog

http://vimeo.com/m/46930173
    Gypsy Jane
    Gypsy Jane had a nice feel to it. Was strongly reminded of Old Crow Medicine Show.

Gypsy Jane is pretty good. I would say lose the attempt at scat singing. Otherwise these guys seem to have a modicum of talent.

More free advice: the band name is juvenile in the extreme. Think up a better one if you wanna "make it big." Don't make the same mistake Country Joe and the Fish did!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    More free advice: the band name is juvenile in the extreme. Think up a better one if you wanna "make it big." Don't make the same mistake Country Joe and the Fish did!
    Make it big...now that I find hysterical! We, the players of mandolins talking about making it big: a niche instrument, played in a niche sub-genre of a sub-genre that crosses over into another sub-genre of a sub-genre. Punk-esque bands need crazy names like that, it isn't like they are trying to get 40+ out to their shows. I'll be in bed prior to when their next gig starts, and will be up before they get out of bed, trunk, bar, where ever they were able to catch some sleep.

The Del McCoury Band was to play in my area, not enough pre-show tickets were sold so the postponed it. If one the "stars" of bluegrass can't get enough tickets sold in an area that has a large fan base of Bluegrass/acoustic music (relative to its size) then I don't really think that S.L.A.H. will have much to worry about in regards to making it big!

Sorry if that sounded like a rant towards anyone. It wasn't meant as one!

they are a lot of fun live, and they are creative. will they make it big? that remains to be seen i guess. i just think its cool to watch a band from my town spring to life and grow over the last 3-5 years, and i think its exciting for the future. not just of my local music scene, but world wide. cheers and happy jamming.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbm55 View Post
    Most of all, I despise the fact you call it "garage grass" in some effort to link it to bluegrass music, which couldn't be further from the truth, despite the mandolin.
    So the BG police now investigate the use of the term "grass"? Isn't the use of the term "grass," when prefixed with something other than "blue," an explicit concession that what one is doing is NOT bluegrass?

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    . . . it isn't like they are trying to get 40+ out to their shows. . . .
    Fear not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    ?...now that I've seen the crack in the armor or the traditional bluegrass police I'm betting they'll be coming a'bleatin' like a dieing calf....Though shalt not use the word grass proceeded by anything but the word blue? Blasphemy....
    No BG police here. Far from it, in fact. If that kind of violence floats your boat, then that's cool by me. I was thinking more about the label "garage grass" and how they can now call mediocre 80's rock and roll music "modern country." Maybe garage grass is what it is. Maybe I missed the memo.

Hmmm...probably shouldn't put this out there, but I'm thinking "Celebrity Death Match" with Bill Monroe vs Chris Thile, with Jack White as referee...

Nice effort, keep at it!
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Fear not.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

http://soundcloud.com/dtb-tenthirteen/
    05-glad

here is the song with no video.

for those of you who didn't want to see the gore.

Most of all, I despise the fact you call it "garage grass" in some effort to link it to bluegrass music, which couldn't be further from the truth, despite the mandolin.
    I'm from southeast Tennessee, everything we play gets grassed up some kind of way, and garage grass is a lot of fun. Beats growing meth like a lot of these hillbillys lol

I love the old time stuff, I grew up on it, but there is good in the new as well, you just have to be willing to look.

oh and thanks to the admin for moving this thread. i was posting from my iphone and got the old fat fingers in the way.

and just to clarify, i'm not in the band nor in anyway responsible for the music or video. after reading through the thread it kind of seemed like there may have been that impression by some, and that was never my intent. just a fan of a local band and a budding mandolin player. been playing harmonica for about 5 years now and i decided to branch on out.

21. The following members say thank you to hippyNthehills for this post:

I'm from southeast Tennessee, everything we play gets grassed up some kind of way, and garage grass is a lot of fun....I love the old time stuff, I grew up on it, but there is good in the new as well, you just have to be willing to look.
    Ok, I'll keep looking. I'm from SE TN too, and I'm familiar with the group, but I really never thought of them as any kind of "hyphenated" grass. To each his own, I guess....

Ok, I'll keep looking. I'm from SE TN too, and I'm familiar with the group, but I really never thought of them as any kind of "hyphenated" grass. To each his own, I guess....
    maybe you don't like the gratuitous violence, and that's ok, i dont either, but you will have to admit there is a modicum of talent amongst the boys. it may not be your idea of some pure form of the art, but garage grass, punk grass, whatever you want to call it, is here to stay, not only stay, but evolve in to some other new sound.

stick yourself in the past, or where ever you choose, but i for one am going to give a listen to the old, the new, and the never heard before.

i didn't come up with garage grass, and idk who did, but it's on their website. if you really want to take issue with their name or description, the have a pretty slick website http://www.strunglikeahorse.com/ a FB page, a management team, and they are booking gigs all over the place. they are in costa rica or some dam where right now. just curious, where's your next gig lol.

There's an Americana band in my old hometown in Missouri that paired a banjo with a cello. It's not something you hear everyday, or would want to, but in the song it works. So these folks paired zombies with a mandolin. Not something that would have occurred to me. Somehow, it works in a campy, goofy, fun way. Thumbs up.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Watson View Post
    I just hope I do not have nightmares tonight
    I did have one. Not about zombies, just the usual one: I am supposed to give a speech at some solemn occasion and find I have come in shorts and tee shirt...

Just wondering - this movie might raise another question for another thread: how to clean blood and pus from a white mandolin? Do bullet holes affect the sound?
    Last edited by Bertram Henze; Jan-23-2014 at 4:12am.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

.......you will have to admit there is a modicum of talent amongst the boys. ....stick yourself in the past, or where ever you choose, ....they have a pretty slick website ....a FB page, a management team, and they are booking gigs all over the place. they are in costa rica or some dam where right now. just curious, where's your next gig lol.
    You posted this video/song seeking comments, so you shouldn't be so defensive when you get comments. Obviously, you are emotionally invested in SLAH, so I apologize for what must have seemed like overly harsh criticism. My bad. That being said, please don't assume I'm stuck in the past because I don't care for SLAH. It's not a generational thing. Also, please don't assume I'm not a musician just because I'm not in Costa Rica this week or have a zombie video. My next gig, besides the occasional spot job, is the Boxcar Pinion Festival here in Chattanooga. http://www.boxcarforeverbluegrass.com/ Thanks for asking.
    I do apologize again for being harsh. The video was well done, but soooo violent. I wish the guys good luck!