Thread: tuner malfunction (not electronic tuner - actual string tuner)

Default tuner malfunction (not electronic tuner - actual string tuner)

One of my G string tuners isn't working properly. When I try to tune down, the tuning post suddenly goes loose - no tension on it - then, after half a turn or more, some tension returns to the post and the tuning on the string drops by a large margin all at once.

When the tension disappears, the whole tuning post is shaky - and the screw holding the tuner button is loose. When I tighten that screw, things improve - only for the same problem to crop up after one or two tunings.

Since this is affecting only one string, at first I wondered if perhaps the nut slot was too tight on that string, gripping the string and preventing it from tuning down - then suddenly letting go when the string tension was more powerful than the grip of the nut slot. I'm not convinced that that isn't still at least part of the problem, but wonder if the working of the tuner post is also flawed or worn in some way.

The latest development is that the tuner will sometimes not deliver the tension necessary to tune up to pitch. It gets close to the correct pitch, but from that point spins its wheels, the tuner button rotating, but the string no longer gaining tension or rising in pitch. When I tighten up the screws again, I regain the ability to tune it to pitch.

What do the experts think? A faulty or damaged tuner - or an adjustment issue (nut slot? tuner screws?) If it IS an adjustment problem, I need to get this sorted out myself, because I live a couple of continents away from any luthier with knowledge of mandolin tuners.

ron

Default Re: tuner malfunction (not electronic tuner - actual string tuner

Sounds like the screws are stripped which would explain why it keeps doing the same thing. I would try some Loc-Tite on the screw that holds the tuner button on the shaft. Also, make sure the gears aren't loose. There is separate screw that holds the gear in place and should be tight so the gear is not flopping around.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

If you use Loc-Tite be sure to use the blue one, NOT THE RED. If you use the red you will never be able to loosen it again. The blue will hold just fine.

it is likely not the tuner itself but the tuner button which is worn and loose on its shaft.

remove the screw on the tuner button. The button then can be pulled off because it is quite loose from wear. A drop of epoxy on the shaft or in the hole and then reinsert the button and the screw. This should cure the problem. Let it set for a couple of hours to be safe... But it should be an easy fix. I have done this a couple of times.

If you wish you could install all new tuner buttons... They are available and not difficult to install. Stumac has them I believe. Instructions come with them or you can get the information on line. Google "install tuner buttons".
    Bart McNeil

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into this again. BMAC - is using epoxy not a bit risky? What if there is another problem that gluing the button doesn't fix - would I then not be stuck (oops, call the Pun Police) with a button that will never come off?

ron

epoxy is not as indestructable as you think.. Heat will degrade and loosen it. it can be crushed with pliars... In any case it will come off without difficulty and without destroying the metal shaft. If you are worried about it I would replace the whole set of buttons. It is not difficult.
    Bart McNeil

Thanks, BMAC. Time to take the button off and find out if it's the button or the screw that's damaged - or both.

ron

It is unlikely that it is the screw that is the problem.... But I suppose it might be possible. But I'd be willing to bet it is just the poorly fitted and worn tuner button. the sloppy tuner button is unscrewing the screw so the screw isn't doing much... Anyway it should be an easy fix. Just don't drop the screw in your shag rug.... (which I did once).
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    If you use Loc-Tite be sure to use the blue one, NOT THE RED. If you use the red you will never be able to loosen it again. The blue will hold just fine.
    Loc-Tite colors are not uniform across international borders and product lines ( eg. consumer or industrial) so product numbers should be used instead. MMc

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I use fingernail polish, works well and is much cheaper.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I use fingernail polish, works well and is much cheaper.
    So, if it is the screw and not the button that is at fault, a little dab of fingernail polish on the screw before it is fitted ought to do it, Pops?

ron

The problem could be any of a few issues, like misalignment of the bores in the headstock causing binding of the string post, or it could be failing hardware, or it could be . . .

Without actually seeing what is going on it is difficult at best to diagnose the problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    It is unlikely that it is the screw that is the problem....
    Actually, I was having the OP's exact problem and it was the worm screw/gear that were stripped. I fixed it by paying $50 for a new set of tuners.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Considering that tuners look so simple, there are apparently quite a few variables in force here. My fault for thinking it must be a quite simple problem with a simple solution.....