Thread: Jig picking pattern DUD DUD vs. DUD UDU

Question Jig picking pattern DUD DUD vs. DUD UDU

Hi! I am new to playing mandolin and am trying to build good habits so I don't have to break bad habits later. I could have sworn that I read somewhere in these forums (but can't find it now) that when playing jigs it is better to have a DUD DUD picking pattern instead of a DUD UDU pattern for the eighth notes in one measure. What I have read elsewhere (non-Irish music beginner books) seems to indicate the latter, but for Irish music it kind of makes sense to get the feel of the groupings of three notes to use the former.

Is there anyone who can help me on this? Thanks in advance.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do,
    in order that I may learn how to do it.

- Pablo Picasso

Default Re: Jig picking pattern DUD DUD vs. DUD UDU

It's one of those things which is purely a matter of opinion Astabeth. Some professional player/teachers are proponents of DUD DUD, and some go for DUD UDU, I would say the more modern trend is DUD DUD. My advice is to listen to a lot of jigs until you get a feel for the rhythm, "Rashers and Sausages, Rashers and Sausages,with an emphasis on the 1st and 4th beat ONE, two, three, FOUR, five, six ...So it goes. Be advised that when you start playing jigs, the DUD DUD pattern can be a bit of a task to manage, but will give you a fairly rigid Jig "feel"......whereas DUD UDU, or continuous alternative up down motion of the pick will not give that "feel" unless you are able to make the upstroke on beat 4 as strong as a downstroke, but is more flexible, initially anyway.

3. The following members say thank you to Francis J for this post:

5. The following members say thank you to Francis J for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I use both without really thinking about it, according to the dynamics of the tune.

I have to admit being a DUD UDU man, but try to vary it a bit, before confusion drives me back to my comfort zone.

Thank you so much! The search function wouldn't do DUD because it only had 3 letters, and I was accidentally searching fro "strum pattern" instead of "pick pattern!"
    I am always doing that which I cannot do,
    in order that I may learn how to do it.

- Pablo Picasso

I was inculcated with DUD DUD by a mando instructor who specialized in ITM. This was just his approach and preference. To my ear the emphasis sounds right...this is just my personal opinion, but could just be predicated on this is what I'm used to hearing after having learned this method. YMMV

Blog Entries

I am partial to DDU, but I can easily get out of practice with it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I was taught DUD DUD. The reason for that pattern is both for the proper emphasis on the pulse of the tune and you can throw in little triplets of UDU where ever you like with absolute ease. The picking pattern, the rhythm, and the ornamentation are all linked. Most of us advocate heavily for our own method and what we know ourselves. You will have to figure out what works for you. It would be a dull world if we all did the same thing.

I'm a strong proponent of DUD DUD. When I hear someone playing DUD UDU, it's very obvious. They just don't get the same character from that style of picking, as the emphasis is slightly different. You wouldn't think it makes that much of a difference, but it does.

DUD DUD becomes automatic after a while. You won't even have to think about it, or even realize you're doing it.

DU DDU DDU DDU DDU DDU DDU DDU DDU ... that's how I do it at any rate. I typically emphasize the second downstroke.

I sweated bullets over this one for well over a year. Cafe folks were very kind to me while I whined about this. An early music teacher (mandolin not their main instrument) got me started off picking jigs all wrong.

I had one lesson from Marla Fibish, then bought her instructional DVD ...it fixed my picking patterns right up ... as my regular mandolin teacher had a hard time helping me break my crappy picking habits. He was delighted when I finally got it right (Zak Borden...he's an awesome teacher and mandolin player)

You can get Marla's DVD here:

http://www.marlafibish.com/news.asp

Cheers,

Loretta
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo