Thread: John McGann's web site

Question John McGann's web site

I know that John's web site is no longer available on the Internet but I was wondering if somewhere in the Cafe there is an archived copy. It was a great source of information. Thanks. -Steve
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Default Re: John McGann's web site

I'd like to bump Steve's post with a question.

Up front … i know next to nothing about websites and their management. (Ask Scott .. he had to hold my hand to get me through logging in again after some computer work here at home.)

I very much appreciate this site and how well managed it is. Thanks again Scott.

As Steve said … and as anybody who visited John's site knows .. John's site was a goldmine.

The question(s): What would it take to revive the site? If the site still exists somewhere .. the creative work has been done … so what are the managerial tasks? What are the costs? Who "owns" the material now?

Ryk

Steve .. i like your signature and have a sticky on my computer: "This is not a musical instrument."
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

If you have the original url from a bookmark or something, you could check the way back machine - has lots of archived sites. https://archive.org/web/ - just plug in the url you have.

Just tested the Wayback Machine and it works great. John's site was indeed a goldmine of information. Still makes me smile every time I visit it.

Anyone care to share the url.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

I did that a while ago and saved the pages as pdfs for the info. As far as reviving the site, I would think you would really need to have John's family's permission first of all.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

That website was most helpful, I think I stumbled on it in 2012, that may have been the last time? Or perhaps a link to some lessons by John.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Knowing the website might not be around forever after his passing, we made intentional effort to capture some of John's gems. If you got to the JazzMando website and type in "McGann" in the search, you'll uncover them. It isn't necessarily systematic, but it will be beneficial to dig up some of his thoughts and lessons.

Search
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

You can tell he was a great teacher from the words he left behind.

null