Thread: Having trouble deciding between The Loar and Ortega

Default Having trouble deciding between The Loar and Ortega

Hello!

So I've been playing guitar for 11 years now, I decided to move to the mandolin recently. I bought a gretsch new yorker. I loved playing it but the instrument was just plain bad so I sent it back. Now I'm looking for a better mando and I've come across two, one "The Loar 520 VS) and the other being an Ortega RMFe90TS.

The Loar sells for about 490€ whereas the ortega sells for 600. I know the owner of a music store though and through that I can get the ortega for 480. I borrowed the ortega from my local store and I really like it, it plays nice and has a good tone. Also has a bunch of extras (built in tuner, pickup, case) that the loar doesn't have. The only thing that I do kind of notice is that the low end is kind of muffled and doesn't shine through that much.

I wanted to ask you guys what you think the better mando is? Due to my guitar playing I have noticed my skills at the mandolin to be increasing at an exponential rate, therefore I would prefer to buy an instrument that will last and remain good for a while (as a beginner). I've seen the loar recommended all over the place so I just wanted to ask for opinions.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Having trouble deciding between The Loar and Ortega

I don't really have any experience with either of the mandolins, but The Loar would be a solid carved top instrument, whereas the Ortega is most likely a pressed top. Could be that it will last many years and no issues, and The Loar could be a lemon. But as a rule those types of issues should be considered.

Mandolins or Tacos?
    RB - (Wolfman Bob)
    Lawrence Smart - 2 Point
    Flatiron - F5 - Artist
    Gibson - F12
    Gibson - A-50
    Flatiron - Pancake
    Fender FM 60 E

Sorry?

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMando View Post
    Sorry?
    No need to be. One thing to concern yourself with is that there were some reports of European "The Loar" not being very good. Either a distribution issue, quality control to the Europe, whatever the case maybe, just be leery of it. If you have had your hands on both instruments, that is a plus. Go with the one you like, no forum can replace your hands, ears, and eyes.

But I would suggest thinking about the construction quality of the two instruments if I had to choose sight unseen I would have to go with "The Loar" even if it means some extra set up work.

Maybe someone with more experience with those models can chime in.

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Got a 520 recently and am amazed by it. When well set up (Thank you, Mr. Fear) it almost plays itself. Have no regrets whatsoever. Have not encountered an Ortega, so must pass on comment. Will say that the 520 is quite a surprise at the price, but like any instrument, set up properly by a pro at the onset is often the difference between praise and profanity.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    When well set up
    The ortega that they have in the store that I'm trying right now has been set up by a 'geigenbauer'/teacher which means a violin maker. They apparently got 3 of the model in, the violin guy sent two back to the manufacturer, the one I (probably will) buy is the one that stayed and was 'eligible'

According to its specs, the Ortega RMFE90TS (wow, that model number's a mouthful!) has "partly solid tonewoods," by which they mean a solid top and plywood back and sides. The Loar 520 VS is all solid wood, and hand-carved, so points to Loar there. The Ortega specs are silent on carved vs. heat-pressed, which tends to mean the latter; more points to Loar.

If you're looking at two mandolins at the same price point, and one is hand-carved and made of solid woods, and the other is partially plywood and heat-pressed into shape, conventional wisdom says there's not much of a contest: the Loar is the better instrument.

But: you say you really like the Ortega. That counts for a lot, since you're buying it and you're gonna be playing it. I think most of us would concur that an all-solid-wood, hand-carved instrument has more "staying power," since you want it to last at least through your learning period. However, it's your money and your choice -- we won't be there when you sit with it and learn your way around it.

So buy the one you feel better with, considering our input as only one of the decision factors. Were I buying, I'd go for the Loar, but I'm not, and you are.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

My first mandolin was a The Loar LM-600. It had good sound. My mandolin teacher is Todd Collins who plays a Hutto and has written a few excellent mandolin instruction books. At my first lesson he asked me how much I paid for my 600 and when I told him he said "yea, you have to watch out for mandolins in that range they can sound pretty tinny". Then he played it and said "Hey! This sounds alright!" I won't insult you by saying it had "a woody bass and really cut on the treble" but it did have respectable depth in the bass for the price...sounded quite nice. I traded it off to my brother and he still plays the heck out of it. I don't know anything about Ortega, so can't help there. You can definitely learn to play on The Loar and if it takes you'll probably be buying something better in 6 months anyway.

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMando View Post
    'geigenbauer''
    Geigenbauer oder geigenlehrer oder geigenmacher? Meine Deutche ist zehr schlecht.

If the person is qualified to set up a mandolin, it may be worth finding out what that cost would be if added to the 520. I know it's tough to let the one in your hands go, so the real question is whether the Ortega is an instrument you think you'll keep. The odds are that you may soon find yourself saving for an additional instrument. These things tend to multiply....
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.