Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a local mandolin luthier

Default Found a local mandolin luthier

This past year I have jammed/performed with so many different musicians. Recently I met a lady with an amazing voice and we talked about doing some work together. We friended each other on facebook and she posted a link

http://www.hovingtoninstruments.com/

Turns out it is her fiance'. and his work is gorgeous. I am going to have a play on one of those mandolins he just finished and might be commisioning a mandocello. I like to support local when I can and if anyone in the western canada area is on the look, it might be worth contacting Tomy

just wanted to share
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barry Wilson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Found a local mandolin luthier

Well I just commissioned my first custom instrument from this fella. We are discussing woods and such right now. Guitar bodied octave mandolin. I was wanting a 20 or 21 inch scale. I'd really like to be able to reach a 3 finger F chord without the need of a double jointed left hand haha
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

4. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

It only took you 2 1/2 years to pull the trigger?

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

6. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

LOL. ya well. I still can't afford it but I have been upgrading my instruments since this post. Gone is the Fender acoustic, Taylor in etc. He has never made an OM. and I had to decide what I wanted most.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    Guitar bodied octave mandolin. I was wanting a 20 or 21 inch scale.
    A GBOM with a 21.5" scale is not without a certain charm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	179 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	148717
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

We have discussed woods, hardware etc and finally getting to where he will be able to start. Archtop with F holes, like yours Pheffernan. Spruce top maple back and sides, allen tp, 1/18 tuners. I could have just gotten a Northfield or Webber yes, but I like to support local when I can. I just bought another bass today too LOL. Now I have to start saving up for this beauty

I just might have to sell some instruments :D

11. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Congratulations!
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

Going to go with a bear claw spruce top, figured maple and similar color scheme to this mandolin

Name:	13957553_1062145373870521_924769965_n.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	148784

Going to go with a bear claw spruce top, figured maple and similar color scheme to this mandolin
    Wise choices!

Bear claw spruce Click image for larger version. 

Views:	126 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	148790

Figured maple Click image for larger version. 

Views:	111 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	148791

Color scheme Click image for larger version. 

Views:	107 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	148792
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

15. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Nice colors. Is that a sound hole in the side?

17. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Nice colors. Is that a sound hole in the side?
    It does have a sound side port and, outside of a Virzi tone producer, just about every other option that Mike offers (blond top, pickguard, floating ebony bridge, inlay, etc.)!

http://www.blackmandolins.com/octave-mandolins.html
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I am excited. my OM is 22.5" scale. a 20 or 21 will be easier to play that F chord. I just can't reach it without finger gymnastics. my mandocello is only 23 1/4 but thinner neck (electric). the tenor banjo is 20 and that is nice.

I just asked to not go too dark on the edges. I was going to go blond with cocobolo binding. fretboard too. just depends if it's available right now. I should hear back. I booked 3 more gigs last night and have a lead for a "do" as she put it, in West Vancouver. The woman that booked me suggested me for it.

I really like the OM's and if I get a nice instrument made it had to be that first. I have 4 mandolins so that's covered for now. I want to go play the one in the picture above though. $2700 is a good price LOL

I'll be honest, $1600 for my Taylor guitar is the most I have ever spent on an instrument before. I am going to have to bust my butt to pay this off. I was going to trade in my motorcycle for a new Triumph but I guess next year...

a 20 or 21 will be easier to play that F chord. I just can't reach it without finger gymnastics. my mandocello is only 23 1/4 but thinner neck (electric). the tenor banjo is 20 and that is nice.
    Have you considered a tenor guitar? They often come in a 21" scale and many, like the Fletcher, are built for octave tuning.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I considered tenors... I love the om sound... I'm committed now anyway haha

I considered tenors... I love the om sound... I'm committed now anyway haha
    They're not mutually exclusive. Despite already owning more GBOM than I'll ever need, I picked up my first tenor about a month ago.

Views:	124 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	148794
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I am just feeling up to the point of not needing more different types of instruments. I have trouble finding the time to play them all as it is LOL. Heck I just picked up my electric guitar for the first time in many many months and that was just to record something for someone else (I bought the electric bass for recording)

I am likely going to have to sell a couple instruments to afford this as it is. (ya ya I say that out loud anyway)

having nice acoustic instruments will push me to start using the condensor mic because I won't chop this one to add holes hehe

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry Wilson For This Useful Post:

I might still go with a blond. I was just talking to Tomy and it depends whether he can get the cocobolo for the binding. I think that would look amazing...

so many choices. I was just looking at tail pieces. I want an Allen.. I find it hard to visualize on a guitar body. I have narrowed it down to these 2.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/i...iece-94587.htm

or

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/i...iece-94988.htm

then I have to pick the exact tuners I want. that's next. and looks like 21 inch is going to be the scale

26. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

OK, so it's going to be a blond with cocobolo binding. we finalized that last night. I am just waiting for a response on whether there is a cocobolo blank for the fretboard. nickel frets, pearl inlays and side markers, grover tuners. I just have to decide on the tailpiece now...

Monday I lay the deposit down. This is so exciting!!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry Wilson For This Useful Post:

Deposit paid. This is really stepping out of the financial comfort zone. Now I wait.

went with the TR1 tailpiece. master spruce top, figured maple back, sides and neck, cocobolo binding. still waiting for availability of cocobolo fretboard. grover 18 to 1 tuners. ebony headstock with the Hovington inlay. F style archtop.

I was thinking maybe just side dot fret markers and nothing on the fretboard. if I put any just single dot pearl.

Wood order went in and no cocobolo for the fretboard so we decided to go all ebony including the binding. I know this is like a blog but I won't have any updates now until construction is underway. All I can do to stave off the excitement/anxiety hehe

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry Wilson For This Useful Post:

I got this video to see the wood...

33. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Tough crowd...

Here's a few vids I have gotten over the build

36. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

It's pretty cool getting updates like this so I can see what is happening to my new toy

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barry Wilson For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

The woods are beautiful. Exciting build. Can't wait to hear your comments on its sound when finished.
    Best to you.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

40. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

citeog