Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breedlove FF Experiences?

Default Re: Breedlove FF Experiences?

Tom I do not understand the "Body styling stigma" either. Compare the BL FF to for example the David Cohen C# in the classifieds right now. Mr. Cohen is a well regarded builder and his instruments get rave reviews from just about everyone. They are certainly beautiful. If they play just half as nice as they look they must be fine indeed. But look at the styling. Hook scroll? Streamlined non traditional f holes? Features that have much in common with the FF. Yet no one makes fun of Mr. Cohen's design. As well they should not. And yet for similar bold modern design. Breedloves are derided here. Not by everyone but it seems like mostly the "that aint no part of nothin'" crowd. Personally I see the visual beauty in Loar inspired sunburst F styles, Breedlove FFs and David Cohen C#s. I want them all! Like the Ray Stevens song says:
    " Everything is beautiful, in its own way".
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

2. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Alright alright alright all you enablers! I'm going to check out an FF this weekend. Why do I have a feeling I'll be coming home with it?!

Mcsoappy you dont say where you are getting it. Please make sure you get it where set up is included. Also remember that there is no msrp with them anymore. 1499 is what the dealer should be selling them for. Any markup above that should not be accepted. Any discount you can get would be in your favor. Breedlove does not prohibit their dealers from discounting so it would be game on. And the BL hard case should be included in the price too. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Awesome! Thanks for the info! What would you say a used one should go for?

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Mcsoappy you dont say where you are getting it. Please make sure you get it where set up is included. Also remember that there is no msrp with them anymore. 1499 is what the dealer should be selling them for. Any markup above that should not be accepted. Any discount you can get would be in your favor. Breedlove does not prohibit their dealers from discounting so it would be game on. And the BL hard case should be included in the price too. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by McSoappy View Post
    Alright alright alright all you enablers! I'm going to check out an FF this weekend. Why do I have a feeling I'll be coming home with it?!
    Yay for you! I don't think you'll be making a mistake. If it does come home with you please post some pictures and let me know what you think of it since I really, REALLY want a Breedlove FF!

Oh and if someone doesn't like the finish or the look of your mando big deal. It is YOUR mando and you bought it to make yourself happy, not anyone else.

7. The following members say thank you to CSIMelissa for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by McSoappy View Post
    I should say too that I don't know where you are buying it from, but compare the price to the official Breedlove store as they marked them down recently:

http://breedlovemusic.com/mandolins

I sold mine a year or so ago for 1000. It had a little play wear but overall excellent shape. I would say in the area of 1100 or so would be top of the market for mint. Thats a little over 25 percent off new. I have seen them with a little more wear for 950 or so.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

One thing I want to mention about Breedlove mandolins that no one brought up yet is the finish. They use catalyzed polyurethane. I confirmed this as true from Breedlove directly. This is a deal breaker for some. Other major American makers like Collings and Weber use nitro lacquer. Some say poly is a tone killer. I am of the opinion that is true only if the finish is overly thick. My BL finish seems very thin and it sounds great. But I wanted to mention this in the interest of full disclosure.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    I should say too that I don't know where you are buying it from, but compare the price to the official Breedlove store as they marked them down recently:

http://breedlovemusic.com/mandolins
    Yeah their price is consistent with Breedlove's......thanks!

I really like the candid nature and free talking spirit in this thread. I appreciate the honesty and openness of the contributors' opinions here.

Breedlove mandolins are not everyone's cup of tea because of their styling and voicing. They seemed to have had followers in the past. It is a shame they stopped US production and went offshore. It is not quite the same when a company buys in mandolins made overseas.
    Nic Gellie

I agree that this a bad sounding video clip. The mandolin is out of tune. The tune itself is highly repetitive and hardly showcases it. The sound recording is bad period.

An example of how not to showcase an instrument.

https://youtu.be/_hRIH7p-N-c
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Coletti View Post
    I never really understood the stigma for the body styling. The sleek design is what attracted me to the Breedlove in the first place, really, since it immediately stood out from the others on the wall (and I like the feel of the unobtrusive lower point, too.) I can understand the influences of tradition on design, but it's nice to have some aesthetic variety thrown into the mix every now and then.

--Tom
    I agree with you Tom. I really like the styling of a Breedlove FF even if you said this 6 years ago. Funny how time flies and how many mandolins flowed under the bridge. Not so much in these times though.
    Nic Gellie

Ten years ago, the Breedlove OF's and FF's sounded way better than the Eastman models at the those price points. The Eastmans have improved a lot since then, so I'm not sure that that's true anymore.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

yes possibly true Marcus. I will let others judge that as I have not played an Eastman for some time.
    Nic Gellie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    Ten years ago, the Breedlove OF's and FF's sounded way better than the Eastman models at the those price points. The Eastmans have improved a lot since then, so I'm not sure that that's true anymore.
    I don't think Breedlove has made any mandolins in Bend for at least a few years now, have they?

I have one of the `Crossover' varieties from 5 years ago and a US made OF from about 10-12 years ago - while they look similarish and the neck/frets are the same, they sure don't sound anywhere near the same IMO.

So yes, none of the recent Breedloves compare to a nice Eastman, but the old ones sure do IMO. I know I played the Breedlove, crossed town to the shop with Eastman and Weber, and then went back for the Breedlove. It gigged with me for many years and now is my backup.

The crossover is great for camping, the beach, or places where my expensive mandolin maybe doesn't have to go.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

That is right they haven't Markus. I have a 2005 KO mandolin in mint condition which I got recently. I am pleasantly surprised at how good it plays and sounds. I wonder how you feel the Breedlove compares with your MT2 as you have it as your backup. I feel it plays pretty cleanly and is easy for people to hear the notes. I can good articulated sounds with it as well. I am in Spain and feel I don't need an expensive instrument here. I am content with a USA made Breedlove mandolin for the moment.
    Nic Gellie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201009_135623639.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	189072

A Breedlove FF experience in the Alpujarras in southern Spain.
    Nic Gellie

I am stuck in Granada waiting for my car to get fixed. Breedlove experience in the nearby park in Granada.

Name:	PXL_20201014_124827832.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	189142

Playing tunes and looking at the sky to while away the time.
    Nic Gellie

This is a video of me on my FF about 10 years ago. The older breedloves from the Tumalo days have always been my favorites.
    https://youtu.be/gnNtA-uzja4

22. The following members say thank you to KrittMoore for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by KrittMoore View Post
    This is a video of me on my FF about 10 years ago. The older breedloves from the Tumalo days have always been my favorites.
    https://youtu.be/gnNtA-uzja4
    Great stuff. What serial number is or was perhaps yours? It must be a close relative. Mine was made in 2008 and is serial number #11140.
    Nic Gellie

This is the most interesting photo I have seen on the cafe. It is sort of surrealistic!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post

Name:	PXL_20201009_135623639.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	189072

A Breedlove FF experience in the Alpujarras in southern Spain.

Thanks ABMando. It was a chance photo I took while visiting a cortijo in a place called Lanjarón the day I got the FF. It was a pretty special place to visit. It reminds me of the drier parts of the Rocky Mountains. In fact having a USA mandolin in Andalusia is pretty surreal. You would be surprised to know that a mandolin is unheard of in southern Spain. In northern and Portugal yes.
    Nic Gellie

I tried out two Eastman 505s. One a classic and the other a CC/N model. The first one was a lovely sounding mandolin yet had it small traditional mandolin frets. The second was a CC/N model. I was underwhelmed with the latter. It lacked depth and tonal overtones in the mids and basses. The trebles were fine and clear and bell-like.

I had to send both back. They were not a patch on my Breedlove FF in terms of projection, range of tone, and sustain. They were both beautifully made. I was hoping one of them was going to be keeper. Sadly that was not the case.

I will stay with my unconventional looking Breedlove FF and make my own version of the A5 instead. Maybe it was a sign that I need to keep making mandolins and get better at it as the motto on an Australian Furphy water cart tank says "Good, better, best, never let rest, till your good is better and your better best".
    Nic Gellie

27. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post: