Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a Gibson F5G a "Professional" Instrument?

Registered User Mike Sutterfield's Avatar

Default Is a Gibson F5G a "Professional" Instrument?

At what point do the middle price range instruments start to be considered "used by the pros"? Don't see any pro's playing F9's. What about F5G's? What about other mandos in that price range? Thoughts?

Default Re: Is a Gibson F5G a "Professional" Instrument?

I play an F5G and I've made hundreds of dollars in my professional career.

The answer is actually yes.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I know the mandolin player from Chatham County Line plays(ed) one and they seem pretty professional...

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trey Young For This Useful Post:

Only if you can get the gig to Pay You.. will it be Professional ..

if you get enough $ & file as a Musician, you can depreciate the instrument purchases as tools
    required to operate your business.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

If an instrument reaches "professional grade" when the owner makes more off playing the mandolin than he spent on it, we're all in a heap of trouble.

I'm going to have to get a cheaper mandolin.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

absolutely,
    simply a plain fern, in essence

less figured woods. less ornamentation.
    I don't believe they are tap tuned, but are still the same specs

I have seen more than a few pros on stage in Nashville, using the F5G

get a Harvey made one, have it well set up, and you are ready to be a pro

at one time the F5 G was indeed a fern, but without binding on the back, and I believe a simpler headstock ornamentation as well-mighta been a flowerpot instead of a fern as I recall
    almost bought one in 09 locally , but found my fern for less on the net

while models may be indicative of overall hierarchy and quality, there are always exceptions-

while I love a certain level of ornamentation and detail, I would always buy a noticeably superior sounding and playing instrument over a looker.
    Last edited by stevedenver; Jan-09-2014 at 5:20pm.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedenver For This Useful Post:

John Maberry of the Reno Tradition plays one and it sounds great.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

Registered User Mike Sutterfield's Avatar

What would be your advice be in the choice between an F5G and a Flatiron festival of the same year. Both out of the Nashville Factory? Most say they are the same mandolin with different peg head logos. In the here and now one cost $1500 more used than the other. Thoughts?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Sutterfield For This Useful Post:

so does the fellow accompanying Jim Lauderdale playing at the Ryman I think (plays fiddle mando and guitar, and very well), and I noticed he had a current F5G judging from the plain headstock.

17. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

I was thinking of asking a similar question on here the other day. Only I was going to ask which of the "pros" (do the quotes save me some form of uprising on semantics?) play Gibson MM's or DMM's. I know Skaggs plays a couple of his RSDMM's, but I don't know of others.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

19. The following members say thank you to Andrew B. Carlson for this post:

tramp, the answer is you have to play, or ask the seller for an honest opinion.
    (this assumes he/she is a mando player and has an ear-many don't if they don't play or only know lower end stuff in my experience)

one thing I can say, is that a Nashville flatiron wont have the staying power in terms of re-sale as a Gibson, doesn't make sense, but I think its true.

otoh, if the flatiron is x braced, you may dig it, as these tend to be fuller, bassier, and more open-closer to a 'guitar' - I don't recall when the x went to tone bar-
    while the tone bar bracing is all BG, and, fwiw, does take a few years of manic playing to break in-X's sound fuller right away, but also typically a different type of treble, not as cutting.

my only experience with Flatirons were from Montana, both pre and post Gibson, and those very are fine mandolins by and large, and recognized as such.

When it comes down to it, though, its your money, and 1500 is a lot to save.

If you are dedicated to mando, then you could go low and later trade up, or have a 'combat' mando and later get a better one still, or, buy the gibby, and know its money in the bank.

if the gibby is a Dave Harvey, id be prone to buy that one as he has a stellar rep for build and sound.

And I know this may sound nuts, but if you credit card it, you could buy both and return one, and not have to worry about anyone elses opinion. I have done this more than once, and the trick is to ask if they can send a call ticket from UPS, as typically, dealers have more favorable shipping rates than you or I as individuals. cost you about 150-200 for the opportunity to have both and send one back.

fwiw, if you care, BE SURE that the gibby flat iron is USA made, cos im not so sure about this , unless its shortly after gibby bought flatiron and moved it to Nashville...I thought they had some Chinese thing going on like with Epi ....

seems like 2001 and that era were very fine ones out of nashvegas, and I think x braced

at this point, ie the transition , I cant help you with exact details on gibby flatirons, but I suspect someone around here can
    Last edited by stevedenver; Jan-09-2014 at 5:25pm.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedenver For This Useful Post:

I think with the F5G you are at the upper scale as far as the $4K market goes and perhaps one or two other mandolins
    in that price range are close, but doesn't bear the Gibson name. To get something that is nicer you will pay the next price level of about $7K or so. If you are used to having a fully bound instrument then looking at the plain attributes of the F5G somedays leave you wanting more, but when it comes to sound and playability the F5G holds it own especially in the price range its in.
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bradley For This Useful Post:

An F9 or an A5 would be a pro instrument.
    ntriesch

25. The following members say thank you to Nick Triesch for this post:

Blog Entries

The first response made me laugh out loud.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I consider anyone the plays with an organized group on a regular basis for pay a professional musician. Virtually every Bluegrass Band that meets this definition has or has had a Gibson F5g or an F-9. Most touring Pros eventually upgrade to a Gibson mandolin with more flash (a Fern or a Master Model)...cause they can. I personally don't think there is any difference between the sound of a "good" F-9 and a Fern. In fact, the strongest mandolin I have ever played is my Dad's 2003 F-9. My Harvey built F-9 Custom (finished like an F5g) isn't far behind.

So, my answer is "Yes!"
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

28. The following members say thank you to tburcham for this post:

I've played professionally on a $25 Strad-O-Lin. It's the player who's professional, not the instrument.

That being said, an F-5G is a very good mandolin and can hold its own in most playing contexts.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I must say I'm curious about why it matters if it's considered pro-level or not....

32. The following members say thank you to GDAE for this post:

How about an Ibanez or Washburn?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1976-ibanez-mandolin-monroe-ad.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	370.1 KB 
ID:	112279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maBZpeCfPh9XeK_WvzBgm9g.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	112280

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

That Ibanez that Monroe is holding lives here in Asheville!

j.
    www.condino.com

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'm having a hard time thinking of any $4K-range mandolins that might not be considered as a "professional" level instrument.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

I agree, it's the musician not the instrument. I woulf think of any Gibson F-9 or F5G as a "professional" instrument....heck even a $1500 "A" model or "F" model could even be considered a pro instrument. I think like one other gentlemen said...some more better known players might eventually upgrade to a high end Gibson just because it "is" one. However if you attend lot's of festivals, you'll see bands on the roster playing all sorts of different mandolins, some Gibsons and more well known builds, and some even hand made by a luthier friend or even by themselves. Just because you don't see any or very many playing F5G's and F9's certainly doesn't mean that their are some that are. I would consider either of those mandolins a professional grade "concert" instrument as do my own...my custom built Eddie Blevins F5. Even my Nashville Faltiron Fest "F" I would have considered pro grade as well. It's basically an F9 just with a different varnish and a few different apointments.
    Just because it doesn't say Gibson or Collings or Nugget or whatever, doesn't mean that it can't be classified as a pro-instrument, quite the contrary.

40. The following members say thank you to Eric Michael Pfeiffer for this post:

Blog Entries

I own a professional level mandolin, but I am definitely not a professional player...so I agree with those who state that professionalism is based on the musician and not the instrument. However, it is my greatest hope to rise to the ability level of professional, even if I never make a dime. The point at which mid-range instruments would be considered "used by the pros" is very subjective. An instrument may be (factually) constructed of top-notch materials with top-notch craftsmanship but that is only part of the equation. Also, I don't feel that everyone being paid to play is a professional. I guess, when all is said and done, professionalism is all about pure unadulterated skill.
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lorrainehornig For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I think, in a parallel world, mandolins are conversing on the Players' Paradise forum. They'll talk in threads about their many players, how they hope to acquire a new player and if their current player can be considered professional. Some of the threads get locked down, e.g. when some Washburn wants to get rid of its newbie player and pass him on to some gullible Ibanezes and Fenders...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I think, in a parallel world, mandolins are conversing on the Players' Paradise forum. They'll talk in threads about their many players, how they hope to acquire a new player and if their current player can be considered professional. Some of the threads get locked down, e.g. when some Washburn wants to get rid of its newbie player and pass him on to some gullible Ibanezes and Fenders...
    Jeez Bertram, I'm glad I don't live in that world. I can't imagine any instrument wanting to own me - I'd probably end up as a wall decoration.

Of course the possibilities are endless. Imagine a rich Rogue buying Chris Thile. I wonder if Gilchrist would end up being owned by a Gilchrist.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Just because it doesn't say Gibson or Collings or Nugget or whatever, doesn't mean that it can't be classified as a pro-instrument, quite the contrary.
    And here's the reason some boys started taping over the name.

47. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post: