Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kentucky or Eastman?

Default Re: Kentucky or Eastman?

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    It's comforting to know that the heavens are in alignment this new year of 2014: Another Eastman vs. Kentucky thread
    Not one of which, I am certain (without looking), addressed the one issue that the OP let us know he wasn't properly aware of - the suitability of neither brand to his needs. Which, of course, proves the worth of many threads dealing with the same topic, and makes your observation irrelevant.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Just to muddy the waters when you don't want them muddied, for the kind of music you like to play, Gary Nava's mandolins - often featured in forum discussions here, would be near-ideal. If the Moon mandolin doesn't work out for any reason, I think you'd be delighted with a Nava.]
    Yes indeed... and Gary's Standard A is within your budget. I love my Nava 2-point. But hopefully you're sorted now.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    Not one of which, I am certain (without looking)...
    You are certain without looking? Okaaaaay!
    Out of the gazillion threads on this subject not one post could be remotely helpful to the OP...whatever dude!

Oh btw, gee what's the best mando out there under $500, Eastman or Kentucky? Or should I buy the Loar?
    You don't think this stuff gets a little redundant? Okaaaaay!

An FAQ filled with this subject matter might be more helpful than the umpteenth same old post; sorry if you're offended by my opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

An FAQ filled with this subject matter might be more helpful than the umpteenth same old post; sorry if you're offended by my opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion!
    It's not so much an opinion as an attempt to demean the OP. If you have no interest in a thread, just pass it by, rather than grabbing an opportunity to put people down.

Blog Entries

Not too much discussion on Jimmy Moon's instruments.... but Jimmy has been doing this a LONG time (I used to supply him with materials many, many years ago, must be around 1981 when I was in that business) and he does make a very fine folk/Celtic style mandolin. Stunning value too. Hard to beat for a truly hand-made instrument using quality materials, finished to a high standard. Good choice. His octaves and other variants are excellent also.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    It's not so much an opinion as an attempt to demean the OP. If you have no interest in a thread, just pass it by, rather than grabbing an opportunity to put people down.
    And you really know my heart...hmmm I think you're needlessly getting worked up about nothing ado!
    And btw, you still know that all of those threads out there are irrelevant to the OP, without looking of course.
    You sure know alot. I'm impressed
    Late!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

The forum has a wonderful feature that allows us to block the drivel spewing from some folks. I'll take advantage of that now, so don't bother answering - I won't see it.

And you really know my heart...hmmm I think you're needlessly getting worked up about nothing ado!
    And btw, you still know that all of those threads out there are irrelevant to the OP, without looking of course.
    You sure know alot. I'm impressed
    Late!

Both are fine mandolins for the price. I really like the Eastman instruments. My friend has a $400 Eastman mando that sounds great! I think it has a $550 list price. All solid woods. The Bluegrass guitars that are half the price of Martins have been getting rave reviews. I remember when I was a kid in the 60's the pac rim stuff was terrible. Super hard to play. Could shoot arrows off of them! Not any more!
    ntriesch

9. The following members say thank you to Nick Triesch for this post:

1. FAQ's don't help when an OP is asking for subjective evaluations. What would be the answer to the "FAQ"? That Eastman's better than Kentucky? Vice versa? That Eastman's better for British Isles semi-rookie mandolinists who want to play Celtic music? Or not?

2. The fact that Eastman and Kentucky, along with Loar, are widely-available quality brands of moderately priced mandolins, implies that there will be a lot of interest in them, and a lot of mandolinists trying to make a choice between them. Hence, several threads.

3. The OP's of these threads, however, may be asking different questions, or come from different backgrounds, or have different interests or objectives. So lumping all the threads together under an assumption of redundancy, may be an error.

4. Which is not to say that redundancy doesn't exist. Always makes sense to start with a thread search, to see if your questions have already been "asked and answered."

5. But, returning to Point #1: if you want subjective evaluation from Cafe“-ers with some direct experience, asking a previously-asked question may elicit some new responses.

6. For those who find the topic over-used, there were dozens -- nay, hundreds -- of other threads to take up your time, and stimulate your undoubted analytical and expository talents.

7. And I should take my own advice. OP, enjoy your Jimmy Moon!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Yeah, hey man.

Do you mind telling me your age? I'm 16, most of these guys are double my age, and probably noticed all the other forums like this one, but were keen enough to help to overlook that. You might have a lot if knowledge on mandolins - then again you might know hee-haw for all I know- but at least use it to help others rather than be a snob and an ass. Frankly I'm not interested in your opinion anyway. If you don't like a forum, don't click on it and don't spew your obnoxious bile all over it and the people trying to help.

Charming.

Very interesting debate this - and such quick responses to original question. I tried Kentuckys, Eastmans and Moons today at stores in Manchester (slightly lower price bracket than ManolinMac) but the mando that stood out for me - so I bought it - was a hand-made by Neil S.Johnson (£550), but - as I've posted elsewhere - I can't find anything about him on the net. Can any of you knowledgeable contributors here help with any info?
    I owe it all to Davy O'Howard

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ManolinMac View Post
    I have just put a deposit down for the Jimmy Moon mandolin from the acoustic music company. I will be paying a visit to Jimmy's workshop later this month while I'm in Glasgow to try one out, and them hopefully the mandolin will be mine by the end of the month.
    Hey Cal, do you have any updates for us on the trip to Jimmy's workshop or TAMCO?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5