Thread: Chord book?

Default Chord book?

I'm wanting to get a mando chord book and I was wondering which one everyone liked here. I recently bought one by James Major but it's a bit impractical for me (at least right now) because the chords are arranged by key rather than by chord name. I don't know HOW anyone could memorize all those chords for each key. Anyway, that being beside the point, what would another good resource be for me to have? I'm not looking for complicated Bluegrass chords, just the 2 and 3 finger chords.

Thanks!

Default Re: Chord book?

Have you looked at chords under "more resources" on the Mandolin Café home page?

Joseph Baker

3. The following members say thank you to Joseph Baker for this post:

"Mandolin For Dummies" has hundreds of chords with the simpler two finger or open chords all located in one chapter. Other chapters feature jazz style chords, bluegrass chop chords, and other styles of chords. At 400 pages I'll bet there is something else in there that you may find useful also. In the spirit of full disclosure, I am the author of the book. Happy New Year!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don Julin For This Useful Post:

I would recommend the Mandolin For Dummies, maybe the only book you will need.

7. The following members say thank you to tander for this post:

Roin 

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julin View Post
    "Mandolin For Dummies" has hundreds of chords with the simpler two finger or open chords all located in one chapter. Other chapters feature jazz style chords, bluegrass chop chords, and other styles of chords. At 400 pages I'll bet there is something else in there that you may find useful also. In the spirit of full disclosure, I am the author of the book. Happy New Year!
    Don, I bought your book on my Kindle and am using it as I begin my journey of learning to play this lovely instrument. It is so useful that I think I am going to need to get the paper copy as well, so I can have it when my Kindle is charging. I highly recommend it.
    Newbie player
    Pickin' and grimacing

9. The following members say thank you to MaggieMae for this post:

Melissa...If you use either an IPad or IPhone, you can download a free Mandolin app that will show you chords, scales, has a metronome, etc. It's easy to use and would be a good backup to your books.

11. The following members say thank you to Mike Arakelian for this post:

A Mandolin Cafe Coffee mug (NFI) will give you a primer while you are waking up in the morning, and will help support this site...

If you have an android device I would suggest smartChord. It has about everything you would need and the recent revision makes the screen easy to read. It has the added advantage of letting you hear (as midi) each chord. Inversion.

There was a older post that had this chord chart.( I cant find the post, maybe someone else has link to it?) I really like it because I am trying to get away from the typical bluegrass 4 finger chop chords. Might be a good chart to start with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basic Mandolin Chords.jpg 
Views:	14494 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	111802
    Last edited by Marvino; Jan-01-2014 at 2:54pm. Reason: layout bad

Ha, ha no Android devices here... I'm old school. I'll need to get a copy of Mandolin for Dummies because I just don't care for the chord book I have. Now... If only I could stop "failing finger syndrome".

I use the Niles Hokkanen book found here:

http://www.elderly.com/books/items/46-13.htm

It has everything I need in a nice format

Cheers

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Blog Entries

My constant companion is "Mel Bay's Deluxe Encyclopedia of Mandolin Chords". It is available on Amazon.com. The author is the Mandolin Cafe's Scott Tichenor. I reference it constantly.
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

18. The following members say thank you to lorrainehornig for this post:

Sounds like you have lots of good suggestions but can I put a plug in for learning some theory and the fretboard? If you do that you can determine how best to finger the chord in any given situation.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nevin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

When I reference my chord book it is because I am having to move too far along the fretboard and can't accomplish chord changes quickly enough. As I am trying to achieve "economy of motion" as my instructor refers to it, I check out the chord book to see if there is a variation of the chord I need that requires little movement. The book I reference above is organized by chord, not key. I like this better than books that are arranged by key.
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Sounds like you have lots of good suggestions but can I put a plug in for learning some theory and the fretboard? If you do that you can determine how best to finger the chord in any given situation.
    I am learning the fretboard (I've only had my mando a month and am just learning how to read music) but I'm also wanting a good chord book. :-)

Tons of resources out there for chords....books are always a good...this website, tons of other websites...but in my opinion, mandolin for dummies is a great resource, portable and has more than just chords. My guess is you'll wind up with several before it is all said and done.....I have several....might even be called a collection at this point. Nice thing is that they are always there to refer to when you need to.

I've been using this one. It takes the prospective of what key you're playing in and lays out the chords of that key signature. A little weird at first, but once you get use to it's really helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mandolin-C.../dp/0825622964

Old tech .. I used a photocopier , and I compiled my own.. 3 finger chords from Jetro Burn's books

and another old Oak Publication .. had several inversions up the neck and Chords
    Maj/Min/ Aug/dim and 7ths of each..

You could use staff paper and have a format to draw on ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Glad to share the chord chart I give to my students. Get these down and you're good for 90%+ of the bluegrass tunes you'll run into.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Survival Chords All 10-10-12.pdf  
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phil Vinyard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julin View Post
    Love mine. Thanks Don. Take the book to Staples or other office supply stores that can change it to ring bound. Inexpensive and the book lies open sooo much better.

What Rodney said. Ring bound NOT comb bound. Great book! Don also has some very helpful videos on YouTube.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Love mine. Thanks Don. Take the book to Staples or other office supply stores that can change it to ring bound. Inexpensive and the book lies open sooo much better.
    I'm not a big fan of the whole "Dummies" thing, but this book by Don Julin is really excellent. I hadn't thought of getting it ring bound until I saw your post this morning, so I took my copy in to the copy shop and it only cost $3 to have it bound...very nice!!