Thread: Rejoice with me!

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Eighteen years ago today my wife and I were scared beyond belief. We were about to deliver a 26-week preemie (after stalling for two weeks in the hospital, trying to help tiny lungs to mature). Our pediatrician, a dear personal friend who had helped us through an earlier loss, gently walked us through the low-survival-rate expectations, followed by the high likelihood of significant quality-of-life issues ever after.

Tomorrow my son Sam turns eighteen, bright, fun, and athletic: "you're only small on the outside" is a motto he has lived up to all the way. We're celebrating with a road-trip to my old college to watch a lacrosse scrimmage, combining his star high-school sport with his first out-of-state drive using his brand-new permanent driver's license. He'll probably make fun of me for being distracted and sentimental.

We've lost some, we've won some. Does it get any better than this? -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Smile

Yes, but does he play the mandolin?
    2006 Duff F5
    2006 Gibson Original Jumbo Historic Collection
    80 year old fiddle of undetermined ancestry

Great story twaaang. It's good to read something that should havee gone wrong do a complete 180 and turn into something great.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

..thats a really special story..I can relate...there were some complications with the birth of my little girl KayLee but in the end God prevailed. Tell your son you love him everyday.

God bless you and Sam!

Last year my entire sunday school class went through a day by day, week by week, month by month, development of a "preemie" named Faith, whose parents were friends of one of our class members. She may have even been born a little earlier than Sam. What a miracle that she was to her parents and an inspiration to all of us. All went well as she got stronger and stronger, and is turning into a beautiful little lady!!

Congratulations Sam on your 18th birthday! And don't ever scare your parents like that again!
    Linksmaker

Oh Paul, I forgot!

Twenty two years ago from yesterday, Matthew, my son, decided to come into this world as a seven something pounder, with "red" hair! That should tell you something about the last 22 years! Just kidding, kinda!

We are proud of him to, as in about two months he will be graduating from Clemson University with a degree in Turfgrass (Agronomy)!

Anybody need someone to mow grass?
    Linksmaker

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Thanks to all for your reflections and good wishes. I have to say that agronomy is at least one step up on the useful scale compared to my English lit degree.

In eighteen years high-risk neonatal care has evolved amazingly, and now it's not unusual to find that Sam at 1lb,14oz was a relative "lunker", as these things go, compared to more recent arrivals. Even then with the issues he did have to overcome, Sam was never the sickest kid in NICU, and our awareness of the other dramas -- and tragedies -- going on around us really put things into perspective.

Happy to report that when we had a family hug in the middle of the Dartmouth green, a spot I crossed so many times so long ago with nary a hint what was in store, Sam sort of "got it".

Okay, I've flogged this enough and I thank you all for your indulgence! -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Kids are a blessing if they are 1 lb or 7 lbs. Its only in His mercy that they are able to live, with or without the technology. But thats only me.

I had a preacher friend that lost his child at 3 days old. A SAD, SAD time for sure. But the thing about small children, they don't have to go through a lot of the misery that we face.

But the VERY bright side is that you get to teach them things like how to play a Mando.

Thanks for sharing this blessing with us.

twaaang,

Thanks for sharing a wonderful moment in your life and the life of
    your son, Sam. As for the family hug on the green, I'm glad that he sort of 'got it, but I bet you he'll 'get it' more and more as the years go by. Congratulations!
    "Oh, no, Sweatheart, I've had this mando a long time!
    Don't you.....recognize the case?"