Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Invented the Gibson "Cremona Brown" Sunburst Finish?

Default Who Invented the Gibson "Cremona Brown" Sunburst Finish?

Like so many of Gibson's now world-famous innovations, the "Cremona Brown" sunburst finish used on the Master-Model instruments from 1922 forwards was the invention of an obscure employee.

Turns out that Master Lloyd Loar had nothing to do with it.

Here's a short article from the January 1921 issue of Gibson's "Sounding Board Salesman" magazine, which identifies the man.

"GIBSON CREMONA BROWN
    Not so very long ago Fred Miller, Foreman of the Gibson Finishing Department, brought into the sales manager's office, a Gibson mandolin that looked not a cent less than a million dollars. Fred had been taking liberties with the catalog finish specifications and while the F-4 was an F-4 in every other respect, the finish was about "F-100%", according to our estimation. Practically every girl in the office said she adored it and even the janitor raved over it. In fact, everybody was so enthusiastic about Fred's work that we forthwith commissioned him to put through a special lot of Gibsons in this new finish, which he calls Cremona Brown. Very soon we expect to have available a few F-4 mandolins, H-4 mandolas and K-4 mando-cellos in this new Cremona Brown finish, which for the time being we will bill at $5.00 additional to the regular wholesale price. If you don't think the finish is about as beautiful an effect as you have ever seen on a mandolin or violin, just ship back the instrument and we will send it to somebody who likes it."

According to my serial number list, the earliest Gibson instrument yet seen with a true "Cremona Brown" sunburst finish is H-4 #65241. According to my revised serial number chronology this instrument would have shipped in August 1921.

Frederick Martin Miller, the creator of the "Cremona Brown" sunburst was born in Mecklenburg, Germany on 25 February 1885, emigrated to the United States in 1891 and was working at Gibson by 1909. By 1920 he was the Foreman of the Finishing Department and evidently left Gibson at or about the same time as Master Lloyd Loar, Sales Manager Lewis A. Williams and General Manager Harry Ferris, late in 1924.

By 1926 Fred was working around Kalamazoo as a housepainter, and in 1930 had started his own auto-body repair shop with his eldest son. The Great Depression killed his business and he was forced to seek employment as a painter at the Checker Cab Company factory. He died in Kalamazoo on 11 February 1944 at the very young age of 58 and is buried there. Ironically, a lifetime of breathing in varnish and lacquer fumes is what likely led to his early death.

Joe Spann

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Joe Spann For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Who Invented the Gibson "Cremona Brown" Sunburst Finish?

Whoops, I almost forgot.....here is a photo of Fred Miller, the man who invented the Gibson "Cremona Brown" sunburst.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fred M. Miller (1885-1944).jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	111683

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Joe Spann For This Useful Post:

Nice find Joe!

I have 11 tagged with that finish in the archive..

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/...cremona_noloar
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

6. The following members say thank you to danb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Spann View Post
    ...Not so very long ago Fred Miller, Foreman of the Gibson Finishing Department, brought into the sales manager's office, a Gibson mandolin that looked not a cent less than a million dollars....
    I can't help but notice that nowhere does it say that Fred Miller actually "invented" the color. He was the foremen of the finish department, so of coarse he would be the one to bring the instrument into the sales manager's office, but how much actual finishing did he do? Perhaps some still-unknown employee, working under Miller, came up with the color, Fred said "hey, I like that!" and carried it into the sales manager's office.
    This, of coarse, is pure speculation on my part, but from my experience with this world, it is often the way things go in factory situations (and then history gives the credit to a higher-up like Lloyd Loar).

Hello John,

I suppose that's possible, but then I offer the next sentence from the 1921 Sounding Board Salesman article in rebuttal.

"Fred had been taking liberties with the catalog finish specifications...."

Joe Spann

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Spann For This Useful Post:

Incredible piece of Gibson history Joe. Great work. You never know what you can find in those old issues of Sounding Board Salesman. I just wish more of them were available. Found very few of them myself.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Spann View Post
    Hello John,

I suppose that's possible, but then I offer the next sentence from the 1921 Sounding Board Salesman article in rebuttal.

"Fred had been taking liberties with the catalog finish specifications...."

Joe Spann
    Yeah, I sort of read that as "Fred's guys were taking liberties...". Guess we'll never really know.

12. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Jim 

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

I would doubt that a line worker would be taking liberties with anything as obvious as the color of a finish....the foreman....well much more likely.....big business has its rules and a staff level craftsman tinkering around isn't that likely....(from my experiences)

If Fred was the foreman and he had people he trusted and allowed them to "take liberties" he'd still get the credit (or blame).
    As I said, we'll probably never know for sure.

(Bill Monroe took the credit for music his band members wrote. It was the normal thing. )

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

JimTimbofood 

Joe
    Very interesting information. The August '21 date seems to be a few months earlier than the listed instruments and its not listed with the 11 tagged ones nor in the Archive. Do the shipping ledgers actually note Cremona or where did you get the specific information on the instrument given its not in the Archives? I have #71080 FON 11548 that is in the Archive but not in the tagged page with the Cremona ones. Does that make 13 know (actually 12 because 1 Loar F5 is also grouped there)? I also presume the new finish was applied in batches correlating to the FON. So far I have only seen 3 FONS of non signed instruments with Cremona finishes - 11548, 11558 & 14548. Is there an explanation as to why so few non Loar instruments received this finish before it became exclusive to the signed style 5s? Thanks.
    Tim

Thumbs up Re: Who Invented the Gibson "Cremona Brown" Sunburst Finish?

Here is my 1980 Gibson F-5L next to my "Cremona Brown" 1922 Gibson F-4 FON 11659

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	111692

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	111693

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	111694

Now this may just get very close to home. Doing a little research but, that may be my wife's great uncle! I have a trapdoor MB3 which he had built for his wife signed 1919. Sad part is it went to the factory for "restoration" and the original FB was scrounged, I won't say stolen but, if the shoe fits. And it got the normal refinishing. Saddest part for me is it was about two years before she and I got reacquainted and was working at a shop where the restoration would have been done right! Time marches on.
    I will be watching and hopefully adding some family information if it turns out to be right. There was a " Frederick Joseph" and a "Joseph Frederick" who both were employed around that time, they were brothers and had emigrated from Germany. We shall see what my wife can research! I love this site!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

My German side comes from Mecklenburg also. It would be fun to find some family match.

No kidding! I do know there is some family history with the company so, we shall see how this all ends up! I told my wife about it and she is kind of excited about it. This could be fun!
    Timothy F. Lewis

OK, what if Fred M had showed up with his new "Malibu Pink" finish, and the girls in the office, plus the janitor, had all loved it? What would we be playing now??
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I hope this is not too obvious to mention, but the term "Cremona" is likely an omage to the city of that name in Northern Italy where the Amati, Guarneri and Stradivari violins were made.

Hahaha, Barbie pink F-5's of course!
    As it starts to unfold with my wife, that may be her great great grandfather not uncle as I had erroneously thought. She has year end tasks at the office but, is finding this kind of interesting. Here are some pictures...

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	111700
    Timothy F. Lewis

AnotherClick image for larger version. 

Views:	257 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	111701Click image for larger version. 

Views:	275 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	111702Click image for larger version. 

Views:	274 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	111703Click image for larger version. 

Views:	275 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	111702
    Timothy F. Lewis

Views:	254 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	111704Click image for larger version. 

Views:	265 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	111705
    And the repair tag!Click image for larger version. 

Views:	322 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	111706
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I told my wife about it and she is kind of excited about it. This could be fun!
    Consider yourself a lucky man!

27. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that name Cremona was named after that town in Italy.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

He clearly never saw a Cremonese instrument. Even Stadivari mandolins had beautiful orange varnish.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Rather than trying to copy the masters, my guess is that he based the color on the beautiful masonry work at the Cremona baptistery.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cremona_Duomo.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	111711  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I spent a few days in Cremona last year. Exchanging reds for tobacco/browns is more like the bow color than the violin. Likely a reflection of the new understanding of O.Gibson's original concept of graduating tops like violins in the Cremona. As the finish corresponds to the epoch of mandolin construction it seems fitting to design/stumble upon a new golden brown finish for unique short-lived instruments. The individual or team that invented it deserve credit but why its limited to a group of spectacular instruments made in a few year period is a real interesting question??

So... did they ever make A-4 mandolins in the Cremona brown finish?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1