Thread: Jim Shenk mando #172

Smile Jim Shenk mando #172

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full back.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	111613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full front.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	111614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	111615
    I got this mando at the beginning of the month. Jim is a fantastic builder in Goshen Indiana who makes great mandos except nobody knows who he is! If any of the mandolin cafe cats are ever in Northern Indiana, I'm sure he would welcome a visit just to chat about mandos. NFI

Default Re: Jim Shenk mando #172

Very nice....there are alot of great not very well, or unknown mandolin builders in america...and they are "everywhere"

Very nice looking mandolin you have there! Yes, there are a lot of luthiers that don't get the attention they deserve. I'm amazed at some of the quality instruments that come from basements or backyard workshops. If you're not hung up on the name on the headstock, there are some fantastic instruments out there.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Great mando Ethan! I hope you'll post some videos of it...maybe a few more with Don!

Jim is a fine builder of mandos, as well as guitars and other stringed instruments. While he may be less known, it is not because of the quality of his work. I have an octave mando of his and it is both a great sounding instrument and a great looking one. One of his F-5 mandos is currently played by the Jay Lapp of the Steel Wheels, if you want to hear it on recordings. Several of his instruments were also featured in a band called the Goldmine Pickers, who Jay was a member of. That included two mandos, an octave and a guitar he built. That is how I learned about his work. Here are a couple picks of my octave.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Octave Mando 3.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	111622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Octave Mando 5.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	111623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Octave Mando 6.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	111624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Octave Mando 4.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	111625

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I'd like to hear it.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Beautiful OM ~ please tell us more about it. Mahogany? Scale length? Headstock overlay? Gorgeous instrument!!!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I dropped by Jim's shop with cafe member Phil Good-Elliot back in 2007 or 2008 when I was visiting family in Goshen. Jim really studied the Gilchrist Model 1 that I had with me. I was very impressed by the instruments I saw and played in his shop. We had a really fun jam in his shop that afternoon, too. I haven't been back to Goshen since then. Great guy and good to know he's still making instruments.

That octave is gorgeous and so is the F5. Congrats!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Here's a tune.

@coletrickle: That's a cool octave.
    Jay Lapp's mando is #115 I think? Or thereabouts, the year is 2004. Jay's mando is great but Jim himself says that he's gotten a lot better at building mandos since then. He says he's refined the cosmetic details quite a bit since then.

@Don Grieser: Good to hear another cat that's hung at Jim's shop!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ethan Setiawan For This Useful Post:

That sounds like an excellent and responsive instrument, nice warm tone. Congrats. Nice picking, too.

Ethan, that's some great picking and you're getting some wonderful tone from that mando. Very very nice! Congrats to you and Jim on that mandolin!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

12. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Thanks all for the kind words! As Don Stiernberg said, "now you won't need another mandolin til next year!"

He said this in December of 2013.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Setiawan View Post

Jay Lapp's mando is #115 I think? Or thereabouts, the year is 2004. Jay's mando is great but Jim himself says that he's gotten a lot better at building mandos since then. He says he's refined the cosmetic details quite a bit since then.
    I remember asking Jay about his mandolin a couple of years ago after a Steel Wheels concert when I noticed how nice it sounded. He told me about the maker, with the comment that few know of him.
    If the mandos are sounding better than Jay's, you can't go wrong!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Nice stuff Ethan, I like your Bowl of Bula & the Don Stiernberg stuff. I subbed !

16. The following members say thank you to Dobe for this post: