Thread: Eastwood Mandola: single-string setup?

Default Eastwood Mandola: single-string setup?

I have an Eastwood Airline mandola, which I normally play in the original 8-string configuration (standard cgda tuning). I'm getting ready to put a new set of strings on it, and I decided to take the opportunity to try it for a little while as a 4-string.

Other than only putting on half the strings, is there anything else I should be doing, setup-wise? Bridge adjustments, and so on? I'm not planning on keeping it single-strung permanently (unless for some reason I totally fall in love with it that way), so I'm not looking to replace the nut or anything, but I want to make sure I don't screw up the instrument somehow (i.e. could the off-center string tension warp the neck over time?).

Thanks!

Default Re: Eastwood Mandola: single-string setup?

Since there will be only half the usual amount of tension, and it will be no less evenly distributed than the full amount, I doubt the neck is in any danger.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Good to know, thanks!

As Martin says, there should be no issue with going four-stringed as such, but a mandolin built for eight strings is unlikely to be at it's best with four. You can improve it by replacing the nut and replacing or reslotting the bridge, but the neck will probably feel strangely wide, and the top won't be as responsive as it should when it's carved for eight but only driven by four.

That said, my experimenting with four strings has made me like it enough that I've switched to building four-stringers. This one was my first and crudest four-string, and it's still the mandolin I play the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Geijer View Post
    ...a mandolin built for eight strings is unlikely to be at it's best with four.
    I've noticed. *wince*

I knew this wasn't going to be any kind of instant miracle conversion--like I said, it just seemed like it might be something to try for a little while, since I'm changing the strings out anyway. I've been getting into early rock and rockabilly lately, and I thought single courses might work better than doubles for bends (a la Chuck Berry) and fingerpicking (a la Scotty Moore and Cliff Gallup).

And, based on early results, it looks like they might--but not on this instrument, not without more comprehensive modification than I really want to get into now. With the loss of tension from the doubled strings, the neck relaxed backwards and took the action right down with it, leaving me with lots of buzz and weird noises. Adjustment at the bridge took care of a lot of it, but it's going to take a higher nut and/or a neck adjustment to bring the instrument back to full playability. (Or, you know, putting the rest of the strings on.)

On the positive side, the inter-string spacing is a little more comfortable for the fingerpicks, and (ignoring the fret buzz from the low action) sounds cleaner. It's nice to be able to play in-tune bends, too. If I get serious about this style of playing, it might be worth setting up a second instrument as a proper 4-string.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

my CGDA tuned 4 string A50/em150-ish uses a .050" nickel wound C, for the magnetic pickup.

Plugged in it sounds fine.. those A40 and 50 and so too the EM 150 necks,
    were kind of slim at the Nut.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

7. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

MdJ 

I took half the strings off my mandobird and play it that way. fun bending strings :D
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

42,32,14 and double course 10's using the throughbody string holes (except for one of the 10's) for CDGA tuning on my Eastwood mandola. Intonation and action are great and it plays really well. I consider it an electric tenor guitar at this point and it compares favourably with my 21" scale Regal acoustic tenor. Similar tension and playability. I haven't done anythng to the nut. I use the second slots of each pair for the 3 single strings and I use the 2nd and 4th tuners for these strings. The 10's use the regular slots and designated tuners.