Thread: Murphy Method?

Default Murphy Method?

I just got the Murphy Method Intermediate Mandolin lesson. I've got the first two songs down, Sally Goodin and Old Joe Clark. I find this "learning by ear and watching" much better for me than learning from tab. I have a hard time remembering tunes that I've learned from books. This method seems to "make things stick" for me. Anyone else use their method? I consider myself a beginning intermediate player, but should I go back and get the MM beginner video? Am I missing something foundational?

Default Re: Murphy Method?

I have used the Murphy Method and I really like it compared to tab. I think you should start with the first one in the series as it does build upon the knowledge as you go along. My only complaint is her incorrect reference to sixteenth notes when they are really eighth notes, but otherwise I like her methodology compared to tab.
    2001 Gibson Master Model F5 #V70311
    1996 Heiden F-5 #F-023
    2009 Stanley V-5 #44

I like Murphy, used it for banjo. I would highly recommend Matt Flinner's winter course starting on the Jan. 7th, for 200 bucks you will get about 20 (or so) tunes and Matt is one of the Best teachers I have seen. My opinion, no financial interest.
    Jean

Pair of 96 Flatiron Fs

I have the Murphy Method DVD's. I was hesitant at first, but my husband used the banjo ones. I'm probably at the same stage as you .... beginning intermediate player. I have her beginner DVD and both intermediates. I breezed through the beginner one in no time. I don't think you really need that one if you're already 2 songs down in the next DVD. I'm not that far ahead of you .... working on Golden Slippers. I wouldn't go back unless you just wanted those particular songs.
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

Quote Originally Posted by woodysny View Post
    I have used the Murphy Method and I really like it compared to tab. I think you should start with the first one in the series as it does build upon the knowledge as you go along. My only complaint is her incorrect reference to sixteenth notes when they are really eighth notes, but otherwise I like her methodology compared to tab.
    I believe the reason she refers to them as 16th notes and 8th notes is because I believe that most bluegrass is in cut time. I think it is anyway! If that is the case would the references make sense? I don't know, just speculating. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Thanks Sweetpea! I actually already know most of the songs on that DVD, but just not her versions. I can keep up real well with the intermediate DVD 1 so far. I just thought I might be missing something.

I don't think you're missing anything, IMHO. She goes through the G scale both octaves at the beginning, and all the songs are in the key of G. The songs are pretty simplistic.
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

I got the murphey method dvd on bill monroe style playing, i think the guy who teaches it is named christopher henry if i remember correct, and its awesome! great way to learn bill monroe tunes - especially because the timing is so important. I can't learn a monroe tune by reading tab. Having a video of a teacher break down monroe tunes and teach em by ear is the best way to learn. And you can save a buck on private lessons because this one DVD is quite a project, will last you some time.

Thanks y'all. I really can learn tunes a lot faster this way. I just got done learning Golden Slippers in less than a week. I can play it a lot less times and remember it this way than with the tabs for some reason.

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Murphy Method is great because it approaches learning the traditional way: by ear. Pete Wernick method does the same. It says something about the way we're approaching this music that people can come along and put their name on a more traditional way of learning, and it's an alternative to the mainstream!
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Quote Originally Posted by sweed View Post
    I got the murphey method dvd on bill monroe style playing, i think the guy who teaches it is named christopher henry if i remember correct, and its awesome! great way to learn bill monroe tunes - especially because the timing is so important. I can't learn a monroe tune by reading tab. Having a video of a teacher break down monroe tunes and teach em by ear is the best way to learn. And you can save a buck on private lessons because this one DVD is quite a project, will last you some time.
    I'll move on to that one when I am done with intermediate level DVD 2, I guess. Sounds fun!