Thread: 1990 Gilchrist - ambitious?

Default 1990 Gilchrist - ambitious?

1990 Gilchrist - Has this one been discussed yet?
    Wasn't sure whether it might belong in this thread, although the price seems ambitious, apparently there are quite a few watchers.
    How is the market these days? Should we think of Gilchrists as local produce, or be basing Australian prices with adjustment for exchange rate, duty freight back down under, and the usual you live on an island, so that's why you pay more 'tax'

Can anybody see what's going on with the binding in the cutaway between the neck and treble point?
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Default Re: 1990 Gilchrist - ambitious?

binding has come loose... i've seen this before on Gils.

There have been a good handful of Gils for sale in the US in the $16,500 to $18,500 range. I'd say $20,000 would be at the absolute top end of the used market currently.

Blog Entries

Ambitious! I'd personally say so! There was or still is a few 90's Gil F-5's for sale in the classifieds, one from Mandolin Brothers for around 26-28G and another from an individual for just a little cheaper. I really don't get the high prices myself. I just see em sitting for a long time. I was under the impression that used they sold from 18-20G. I don't understand the high prices, when you can still buy brand new ones from the maker! Carter Vintage is taking orders? Don't know how much?

A new one is about $22,000

If there are a lot of watchers, it may be because it also taking offers. Maybe a few people are hoping to get a steal.