Thread: Guitar amps and pre-amps

Question Guitar amps and pre-amps

I have some knowledge though limited of amplifiers and sound. I just received my Ovation MM68 (it's a beauty) and I won't be getting my hands on a true acoustic amp/system anytime soon with the amount of money I just spent on the Ovation and a Martin 12-string. Is it ridiculous to think I can run the Ovation (or octave with LR Baggs Radius) into a Fender solid state guitar amp? I would run it through an LR Baggs pre-amp first, hoping that this takes some of the color and added tone out of the guitar amp for a truer acoustic sound.

A secondary question would be the power necessary from an acoustic amp. Near the top of my list have been the SoloAmp or Loudboxes (Performer or Artist). I don't wanna go too small , as I'd like to start up an acoustic rock/folk band soon.
    The Loar LM500
    Trinity College Octave
    Taylor 114ce
    Martin D12X1AE 12-string
    1980 Ovation Grand Balladeer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Piles O' Pennywhistles/Low Whistle

Default Re: Guitar amps and pre-amps

I have run an applause mae 148 into a Peavey electric guitar amp and it works. Not my setup of choice though. The Ovation might do better direct or through the Baggs to a PA. You will probably be much happier with a dedicated acoustic amp. How loud depends on where you'll be using it.
    Jim Richmond

you have a preamp powered by a 9v battery in your mm 68 ..

It (w fresh Battery) has enough output for the input of the guitar amp.

now your Baggs is probably improved with its own preamp to bring it up.

probably the real power for a rock/folk group would be the PA, the other amp may be a monitor,

if it has an output jack to feed the PA or get monitors that run off the PA,

[or, the little amp with a mic in front of it's speaker,
    some amps you love the speaker sound, better than the line out cord back thru the PA ]
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Destroyer of Mandolins

Of course you can put a 68 through a guitar amp. It won't produce the full acoustic mimic that the Ovation is known for, but you can get lots of cool effects and if you run the amp clean and dry the acoustic tone won't be too bad. It's not clear in your post, but if you are putting the Ovation through an external preamp, stop that. It does no good and will cause you more headaches than anything.

Both the Solo amp and the Loudbox line are excellent with the Ovation. The choice comes down to your needs in a band situation. If the amp you buy will serve more than one musician or include vocal reinforcement, the the Solo Amp would win out, but either are great sounding amps for the mandolin.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user