Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Inside Llewylyn Davis"--sneak review

Default Re: "Inside Llewylyn Davis"--sneak review

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    ...if there's no change, there's no drama. I believe it was Aristotle (Plato? Zorba?) who said that first.
    Well, there is much drama in the lives of persons resolved to inaction, believe me

However, isn't the decision to do nothing, change nothing, remain static, inert, and continue on as usual...a valid denouement? Perhaps noir, but nonetheless..

I choose not to decide who's right here.

belbein: you are most certainly entitled to your opinion and I may very well differ with you, but I do want to thank you for speaking up. If nothing else, I will be thinking of your comments as I watch this film, possibly this weekend. There is a lot of room for multiple opinions in this world and I like to think I have a relatively open mind to hear and understand where others who differ or even agree with me are coming from.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I choose not to decide who's right here.
    "Right"?

I too appreciate the discourse. My experience (here) is that people are quite reluctant to discuss art, and always enjoy it when we can

Watched the 2 trailers above. Heard an interview with the main actor on NPR yesterday. How can I not watch it?

I will wait for net flix, and a quiet mood sturdy enough to withstand the fictitious reality thrown against my delicate disposition.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Gosh, I am reluctant to discuss art.

True, it is a mandolin forum...I sometimes forget that

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I will wait for net flix, and a quiet mood sturdy enough to withstand the fictitious reality thrown against my delicate disposition.
    This is the sort of film I want to see on the big screen, if only to see a re-creation of '60s NYC and the Greenwich Village scene back then before NYC got all Disneyfied. (I also regret not seeing Pacific Rim on the big screen, because ... giant robots vs. giant monsters, obviously.)

As for art, well ... everyone's entitled to my opinion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ryman2bwhc.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	111041

Well, the best comment I have seen so far is from Old Sausage:

"You sure? This certainly reminds me of my life. "

The lead actor on this movie was on NPR's Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! today

Oscar Isaac in well... not really an interview.

Oh yeah, interesting cat stories!
    Last edited by dang; Dec-14-2013 at 12:25pm. Reason: Cats...
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Some of you might find this review from Dave Von Ronk's former wife/manager interesting:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...ewyn_davis.php

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GDAE For This Useful Post:

BTW, Dave van Ronk's book, Mayor of MacDougal Street, is a very fun read.

14. The following members say thank you to jmkatcher for this post:

Petrus 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    If your criteria for a good film is that the characters have to be likable and you'd want to hang out with them, and that the plot has to have a resolution where people learn from their mistakes
    Not what I said, actually.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    isn't the decision to do nothing, change nothing, remain static, inert, and continue on as usual...a valid denouement?
    Only for Congress.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belbein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jmkatcher View Post
    BTW, Dave van Ronk's book, Mayor of MacDougal Street, is a very fun read.
    Yep, I recall reading it about a year ago ... I hadn't even heard of von Ronk before and did not know what a central role he played in that little scene at the time. He actually did hitchhike from NYC to Chicago one time in an effort to audition for Albert Grossman (then Dylan's manager), to no avail; the event is depicted in the movie (in somewhat fictionalized form.)

Film, like music and art is subjective and there's something for everybody. Who cares if someone doesn't like what you like ... unless someone's itchin' for a tussle 'cause that's their mood. Can't stand lots of music that others consider from the celestial realm itself. If my cup of tea isn't someone else's ~ fine with me. That being said ... if one "doth protest too much" about something they dislike... others tend to jump in and the mosh pit begins.

I've experienced folks going absolutely postal if I dared to criticize or not like their favorite musicians or films. They'd be relentless trying to change my mind. Please. That's not the case here, but it's kinda relevant. There's room for everybody's taste ..... or is there?

I lived the 60's beat/folk scene of the SF Bay Area as a wife, girlfriend and mother. My husband and later relationships were with those I suspect the Cohen brothers are attempting to portray in their new film. As great as the music was back then, can't say I'd ever want to hang out with any of those lads today. I certainly wouldn't tolerate the degree of narcissism, irresponsibility and vapidness I considered "normal" when I was young and naive. I saw a lot of men walk away from children they bore, for example. A few, very few, of those good musicians went on to develop into fine human beings. The rest, well, not so much. Those (now) old guys can still sing, write and/or play well ... a few became pretty famous and still tour. Happy to say I can separate from their personalities and enjoy their music. Good music is good music for me.

I'll definitely see the film knowing that I can focus on the music if it's awful. I've liked about 2/3 of the Cohen Brothers films. Trying really hard to be edgy can work out very well, as in "Fargo", or can really suck (don't feel like arguing, so I'll keep the sucky films to myself). Sounds like this film might have been a total crap shoot if not for the music.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loretta Callahan For This Useful Post:

Only for Congress.
    yes--politics is a fine example. Albeit, modernistic traits may not be as easily gratifying as romanticism, but the world is what is

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Callahan View Post
    I saw a lot of men walk away from children they bore, for example.
    I am quite surprised to learn that men used to bear children in San Francisco. Is this still the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    From what I remember of Dave Van Ronk i would have almost thought that John Goodman should have played him. Of course, this movie was loosely based on his early years. When I saw him he was much older and somewhat more portly and cranky. Great performer and guitarist.
    I saw him in 1968 and he was plenty portly and cranky then!

Yes, but then this was the SF Bay area. We were pioneers in many areas. The only other place where men began to bear children was in NYC .... in the beginning of the drag queen days. Ah, those were the days! The fad wore off and it was back to the women doing all the heavy lifting, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I am quite surprised to learn that men used to bear children in San Francisco. Is this still the case?
    Just visiting.

25. The following members say thank you to Loretta Callahan for this post:

I prefer "traditional" to quaint ... and obviously I don't hesitate.
    Yes, quite--and this is the forum for that (opining). What I meant was--offering such a critique (based upon such narrow ["traditional"] criteria) has little utility (in art criticism) -- equivalent to the oft-remarked "trad bluegrass is the way it should be" is to music criticism, etc. Having certain preferences is fine--just of limited utility in the exercise of criticism

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Showtime special on the September concert inspired by/celebration of the movie airs Friday:
    http://www.sho.com/sho/movies/titles...er-time#/index
    Punch Brothers provide backup for a lot of the other artists as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0_0_3398528_12_800x600.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	110912

Trying to watch this right now (it's on Canadian Netflix) but I can't hear a thing over all of Thile's pick noise. Which is weird, because he isn't even on stage right now.

28. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Odd .... perhaps it's a netflix thing. On You Tube and Showtime .... there's a nice Thiele mandolin sound (not pick noise) , but the fiddle and vocals are much louder.

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    Trying to watch this right now (it's on Canadian Netflix) but I can't hear a thing over all of Thile's pick noise. Which is weird, because he isn't even on stage right now.
    Just visiting.

Blog Entries

yes--politics is a fine example. Albeit, modernistic traits may not be as easily gratifying as romanticism, but the world is what is
    OMG! You've solved the problem! That's what's wrong with our government! It's not a political problem after all-- it's that they're Modernists and we need Romantics! (Wait. Maybe they're Dada-ists.)
    belbein

Blog Entries

of limited utility in the exercise of criticism
    This is a very curious comment and I'd like you to expand on it. Understand, I'm really interested in your thinking, I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I'm very interested in aesthetics and in the process of criticism.

I don't understand what you mean about classical yardsticks not being useful, because I don't know how you could possibly do criticism without a standard against which to judge the work. So classical criticism might compare a work of art to Aristotle's Poetics' principles, or to the work of some acknowledged expert (like Shakespeare). Freudian criticism against the work of Freud. Marxist against the principles of Marxism. Feminist criticism against ... well, God knows what. Etc. So perhaps you're saying that you disagree with my choice of yardsticks, not about a lack of utility. Maybe you think that classical criticism or classical principles are no longer relevant in today's world. In which case we disagree, but I understand you.

The problem with small-b bluegrass that you reference seems similar but is actually different. The problem is not that people compare New Grass with Bluegrass and condemn it for not being identical with iconic capital-B Bluegrass: it's valid (if narrowminded) to use Bluegrass to judge bluegrass. The problem is really that people who use Bluegrass as a standard don't understand that they're using Bluegrass as a standard, and that a person could choose other standards against which to judge the music. Or to put it another way, they don't understand that it's music, not Holy Writ. Which gets back to my point about your disagreeing with my standard, I think.
    belbein