Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Horwitz Mandolins

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Alex Horwitz Mandolins

Does any one have any knowledge about mandolins built by Alex Horwitz of Western Pa.?
    The information I have is that he started building mandolins after returning home from WWII. This would dictate that he hasn't built any for quite sometime.

2. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Default Re: Alex Horwitz Mandolins

Did you find one? Do you have any pictures you could post here?

I found this on a Google search -- not sure this is the same person but could be mentioned on this Johnstown, PA site:

Much of the fun at the Berlin July Fourth Celebration is in the music and old friends Alex Horwitz and Leonard Narehood attended to hear some and make some of their own. Horwitz is not only a musicmaker, he also makes the instruments he plays. The Windber man, who is 92 years old, has been crafting his own mandolins, fiddles and guitars since since he returned from World War II in 1943.
    Looks like he lives in Windber, PA. That posting was from July of this year so he may still be around.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I actually found an address and phone number by searching for his full name and Windber PA.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

That would be him. He must be close to 100 years old. One of his mandolins is offered up for sale locally and I was hoping someone with knowledge of his mandolins could motivate me to go see it or save me a trip.

Go see him!!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Here's a link to the mandolin. It's....um... very unique...

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/4237790019.html

Wow! I think he must have been the first Inlaid Artist!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00I0I_1nD2S2wJXl5_600x450.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	110911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00S0S_oalwvBtHs0_600x450.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	110910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00o0o_gZqhwKEBAJF_600x450.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	110909  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00h0h_5C3SkwThrs5_600x450.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	110908  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I sure hope it sounds better than it looks.

Bill, will you go see this mandolin. It could actually be a decent sounding instrument. Maybe then you could visit him.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It's down to $400 ... not being sold by the builder, but by someone named Doug.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Hopefully you'll take a look and report back. The only bits I couldn't live with are easily remove/replaceable (PG and TP). And the headstock is kinda cool.

What's going on with the nut. That looks kind of strange.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canoedad View Post
    Hopefully you'll take a look and report back. The only bits I couldn't live with are easily remove/replaceable (PG and TP). And the headstock is kinda cool.
    I will go to see it this coming week, though it requires me to go into the city, which is far from my favorite things to do. If it
    plays nicely I will take it home. Then to decide, which do I sell to finance a round hole, though my Collings is a keeper.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I went to see this mandolin and did not purchase it due to playability issues.
    The tuners were worn out, however the neck was straight. The bridge was permanently mounted and the neck, while extremely heavy duty, had no truss rod and was mounted as none other I have ever seen. In fact, the whole mandolin was heavy duty. It probably weighed twice as much as my Collings or my Eastman.
    It did, however, have a unique look. Would go well with a player wearing a tourquois blue suit with garnet sequins from top to bottom and a huge feather in a Western Hat.

16. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Hey Bill,

It is funny I came across this thread, I am looking at this mandolin myself. I am think about getting it for my fiancé for christmas. This will be her first mandolin and I have talked they seller down to $300. Hell, the case for it alone is probably $100.

Would it be an ok mandolin for a beginner? I would obviously need to see about getting the tuners fixed, but other than that how is the sound? Were there any other issues that I should be concerned about. I figured we'd probably only have this for a year or two, and if she is still playing, then upgrade her to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWalker601 View Post
    I am think about getting it for my fiancé for christmas. This will be her first mandolin and I have talked they seller down to $300. Would it be an ok mandolin for a beginner? I would obviously need to see about getting the tuners fixed, but other than that how is the sound?
    Based on Bill's report above: If you want to marry this woman, do not buy this mandolin. Read his report carefully. The bridge is glued on. The mandolin is heavily built. Two bad signs already. You will prob have to get this worked on -- will cost you much more and it still might not be easy to play. Caveat Canem!!! (emptor, etc)

For that money and for a beginner I would go for the Elderly starter package. I tried to find the link but did not see it. Kentucky KM150.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thank you Jim. Not knowing much about mandolins, all I got out of his report was that the turners needed fixing and that it was heavier than more expensive instruments. I just thought the maker had an "innovative" way to mount the bridge and the neck. I guess gluing it all together is innovative when no one in their right mind will do it.

I will look into hunting down an Elderly starter package.

Thanks again.

-Jw

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWalker601 View Post
    Hey Bill,

It is funny I came across this thread, I am looking at this mandolin myself. I am think about getting it for my fiancé for christmas. This will be her first mandolin and I have talked they seller down to $300. Hell, the case for it alone is probably $100.

Would it be an ok mandolin for a beginner? I would obviously need to see about getting the tuners fixed, but other than that how is the sound? Were there any other issues that I should be concerned about. I figured we'd probably only have this for a year or two, and if she is still playing, then upgrade her to something else.
    I think it would still have playability issues as it is very crude.
    The case looks like it was built by a MS student in wood shop.

<Moderator edit: please keep reference to items for sale in the Classifieds as per Forum Guidelines>
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Dec-20-2013 at 4:12pm. Reason: Posting Guidelines

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

<Moderator edit: please keep reference to items for sale in the Classifieds as per Forum Guidelines>
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Dec-20-2013 at 4:14pm.

Yo Bill -- no commerce on the discussion boards, please.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Yo Bill -- no commerce on the discussion boards, please.
    No problem > Didn't know that was a rule. I was just trying to keep JW from making a mistake.

24. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Does any one have any knowledge about mandolins built by Alex Horwitz of Western Pa.?
    The information I have is that he started building mandolins after returning home from WWII. This would dictate that he hasn't built any for quite sometime.
    What would you like to know? He is my Great Uncle!! I have a guitar he made me when I was 9 also a mandolin he made about 20 years ago. He is an amazing man!

Quote Originally Posted by Saundramendenhall View Post
    What would you like to know? He is my Great Uncle!! I have a guitar he made me when I was 9 also a mandolin he made about 20 years ago. He is an amazing man!
    Can you post some pics of the guitar and mandolin?

The ad is no longer there. I wish I could have seen it. Anyone save a pic?

Phil

Jim Garber saved pics. See post 7 above.