Thread: easier chord melody examples

Default easier chord melody examples

I would like to work more with chord melody (a la tenor banjo or uke)

Does anyone know some easy examples to get started?

Thanks!

Default Re: easier chord melody examples

Start with easy folk melodies on the A and E string. Put other notes from the current chord (1 3 5 b7) underneath.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Start with easy folk melodies on the A and E string. Put other notes from the current chord (1 3 5 b7) underneath.

Little Brown Jug is good for this.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Thanks Pete, I'll do that. I like this answer, in part it was "use your ear"

I worked out a pretty simple arrangement for Sweet Lorraine on the tenor guitar. Just worked the melody on the top string of each chord and the nearest chord incorporating that melody note. I can see if I can find my arrangement -- not that it was anything amazing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

In case you need some chart resources -- http://www.theguitarguy.com/songs.htm

You may need to transpose to a better key depending on what instrument you are arranging for.

I would search for tenor banjo -- lots of stuff for that.

For instance: Tenor Banjo Lesson – How To Build a Chord Melody
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Not sure if this is what you mean, and it comes from a relative beginner (a little over a year on mando). It is my arrangement of the hymn "Simple Gifts", known to many from Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring. Except for the end where I repeat the earlier idea an octave higher, the entire melody is played on the 3rd and 2nd string. So pick that out first (sorry, I have not tabbed it out). Then use a note from the chord (G, D, or F#, depending) at the end of phrases, or alone as an accompaniment. For G chords I use x-5-2-x, 0-5-2-x, x-5-5-x. For D, I use x-4-0-x, x-4,5-x.
    Last edited by avaldes; Dec-11-2013 at 5:11pm. Reason: Getting link to look right

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    You may need to transpose to a better key depending on what instrument you are arranging for.

I would search for tenor banjo -- lots of stuff for that.

For instance: Tenor Banjo Lesson – How To Build a Chord Melody
    Jim, have you found a site with a database like that for standards? (for TB). I've not, though I'd like to

Do you mean a site with chord-melody arrangements of standards... not really. Eddy Davis has some lessons on tenor banjo and guitar on youtube.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

avaldes: this link doesn't work for me and I am logged into FB.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Privacy settings strike again. I put it on YouTube:

Do you mean a site with chord-melody arrangements of standards... not really. Eddy Davis has some lessons on tenor banjo and guitar on youtube.
    Yeah, that "GG" list is deep--best I've found. I've been using those charts for TB for years--for my vocal range, I've been able to use them as is without transposing. Lots of goodies

I find charts with melody and chords written out more useful. I use the Real Books. You can download them and other sheet music for standards here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I find charts with melody and chords written out more useful. I use the Real Books. You can download them and other sheet music for standards here.
    You bet--can't beat the Real books for bebop heads. No lyrics though. What I like about the GG charts is for use as the basis for my own arrangements (which is why I suggested it here--after Pete's recommendations)--since the melodies of standards are so familiar

There are some older standards in the Real Books. I actually have some old fake books with bare bones chords that works nicely for 4 course instruments. I find it helpful to have the melodies. Are GG's chords really different from Real Books?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Well many of them are arranged with more chordal embellishment. So you can use them as is for some nice vamping--as well as the basis for substitutions, voice leading, etc. If the OP (Steve) is inclined to take a tune or two well familiar from the list and fool around with it, he might find much of the melody already contained in the chords indicated--if not readily evident (on top), follow Pete's advice and look for it elsewhere within the chord or chord form...a basis for embellishment, etc.

My book Jazz Mandolin Appetizers (Mel Bay) has a chord melody section, and many of the jazz columns in Mandolin Magazine offer chord melody arrangements of standards