Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So HOW BAD is the Fender?

Default Re: So HOW BAD is the Fender?

I have played several Fenders, and frankly, I think they are quite a bit better than the other folks on this forum. Set up is important, but that is true for ANY instrument. Is it a custom-made multi thousand dollar instrument? No. BUT... I have heard many very very capable musicians making GREAT music on similar quality instruments.

To tell the truth, I have also heard some pretty lousy musicians, playing horribly (poor tone, no sense of rhythm, emotionless phrasing) on absolutely superb instruments.

Music is created in the SOUL not in the instrument. That Fender, as a gift of love, will start you out with more mojo than you can probably get any other way... take it, and run with it, is my advice. That, and have FUN creating YOUR music that YOU judge.

The Fender will be fine to start with, and if you graduate to a different instrument, will make a nice beater.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jshane For This Useful Post:

The thing about Fenders is that if you get one that's devoid of problems, then it's not any worse than anything else like it. My low opinion is based on the percentage of Fender mandolins I've seen with humped necks, bad fret work and sinking tops compared with other things in that price point. This is the prespective of someone who worked in music retail at a Fender dealer.

The overall quality of their low-end instruments has gone down quite a bit. Some of my guitar students come in with Squier Strats that are nowhere near as good as they were 10 years ago. It's probably not a fair comparison, but I've got a 1966 Fender Mustang and the build quality of that is as good as any of their high end stuff from that period I've played. Same for my 60's Epiphone Melody Maker/Olympic. It's a lot harder to make a good, cheap mandolin than a good, cheap solid body guitar. You have to start out with the commitment to do so.

I really hope the OP gets a good mando, but the reservations about Fender in my case is not about aesthetics.
    Steve

4. The following members say thank you to Steve L for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jshane View Post

Music is created in the SOUL not in the instrument.
    Also difficult to keep in tune, and requiring a good set-up.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

6. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

3. If you find the mandolin really is your thing, you will want a better one in plus/minus a year. The Fender can be the one you take camping, to the beach -- or the one you loan to your friend who's heard you and wants to learn too.
    I agree with Allen's advice. You are just starting out on a journey. If you enjoy it and stay with it and improve, you are going to want a better instrument eventually. If you don't enjoy it and don't stay with it, then you have only invetsted a small amount of time and money (in mandolin terms) and you can sell it, hang it on the wall, or give it to a friend or relative.
    Living’ in the Mitten

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Ostrander For This Useful Post:

I would call Robert at FolkMusician.com and see what he recommends. Whatever he sells you will certainly be setup well too, and that is the most critical.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    1. Your husband is doing a Nice Thing and you appreciate it.

2. You can learn on nearly any major brand mandolin, Fender included, if it's properly set up. Hopefully, the "nice guys" at your music store can do that.

3. If you find the mandolin really is your thing, you will want a better one in plus/minus a year. The Fender can be the one you take camping, to the beach -- or the one you loan to your friend who's heard you and wants to learn too.

4. Factors like solid vs. laminated woods, carved vs. pressed tops, finish thickness, etc. are very important in determining a mandolin's overall quality and acoustic output. But the first year of any instrument is learning where to put your fingers, figuring out chords and scales and keys and picking patterns. You can do that on a well-set-up Fender almost as well as on a high-end instrument.

5. My first stringed instrument was a no-name banjo with a violin-style 5th string peg. My brother learned guitar on a nameless instrument that had the pickguard painted on the top. Motivation and determination, and enough instrument preparation to ensure that the mandolin's playable, will carry a student past initial stages of learning.

When I read the recurrent postings of Cafe-ers who have to hide their mandolin acquisitions from disapproving spouses, I realize what a blessing it is to have a supportive partner. From my point of view, that over-balances any questions about the optimality of this particular starter mandolin.
    Allen has nailed it. Especially items 1 through 5 and the end note.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astabeth View Post
    Hello! I am a beginner with about a $200 budget to buy a mandolin.

...our local music store is very friendly with a great bunch of guys who are very helpful and could help me should I run into problems with it.

...I'm not going to be playing in front of anyone but family (and possibly a troop of girl scouts), so as long as it sounds good, stays in tune, and isn't harder to play than any other mandolin, I would probably be fine.
    With a set-up provided by your local connection, YOUR FENDER WILL BE PERFECTLY ADEQUATE! You've got everything you need

Good lord. Why anyone would say anything contrary here is remarkable (but typical). Your question--titled as it is--is "asking for it," but do yourself a favor and stop reading stuff here about mandolin comparisons--at least for the next several months--and enjoy your instrument!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

AstabethBardjshane 

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Also difficult to keep in tune, and requiring a good set-up.

Ain't THAT the truth... might be an interesting topic.... "What is YOUR recipe for a good ol' cosmic cleansing..?"

And as your playing gets better the Christmas presents get better I now have a Weber Gallatin F-style and a Prototype Boat Paddle nylon string Mandolin that are 2010 and 2012 Christmas gifts from my wife.

I've purchased 2 Fender mandolins. First a laminated top. Tried out a solid top that sounded better than the laminate one so I upgraded and sold the laminated one for about 2/3rds of what I paid for it. (was better than the one he had) . Purchased the solid top one at a Guitar Center. What I didn't notice at the store was the neck was twisted and too narrow causing the E-string to slip off the side of the neck. They took it back and gave me another one. After purchasing a Godin A-8, the Fender has been loaned out to people interested in learning to play one. It's now out to the 5th person, of which 2 purchased mandolins and are still playing. Out of 6 I've owned, I still have 4. MAS will come at you quick.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodney Riley For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

A solid relationship with a supportive spouse is MUCH MUCH more important than any other consideration. Much harder to find a supportive spouse than to find a playable mandolin with good tone.

Don't ask me how I know.

The entire staff
    funny....

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I very much agree with the Allen's and JeffD's sentiments - but I personally would encourage a different tack. Express gratitude and appreciation for your husband's gift, but then (if you feel this way), express the request that (maybe together), you exchange the purchase for another instrument. I just very much doubt he will feel bad about this. In fact, speaking as a man, my guess would be that he will feel more badly about his choice, if/when issues and limitations with the instrument start to become clear. It's true that with a good setup, you can have a tinny sounding laminate instrument that is fairly easy to play. But hy not start with a $200 solid-top mandolin that sounds much better and is also (with a setup) easy to play? I would also avoid the multi-piece starter "set", and put the whole budget toward the instrument. Perhaps spend a little extra on a good tuner and a few picks, and pick up a bag etc later. I certainly wish you a lot of enjoyment!
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

20. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by acousticphd View Post
    ...speaking as a man, my guess would be that he will feel more badly about his choice, if/when issues and limitations with the instrument start to become clear.
    I think he'd feel worse if he knew his gift were perceived to be inadequate--based on what a bunch of mandolin-obsessed people told his wife on the internet

22. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Yea, guys just hate it when their wives pick out their own gifts ....
    Last edited by Canoedad; Dec-09-2013 at 2:35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoedad View Post
    Guys hate it when their wives pick out their own gifts ...
    Not here.

A gift is a gift

25. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    . MAS will come at you quick.
    Amen to that! Amen!!! (And A-women too, gotta be equal!)
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Not here.

A gift is a gift
    A great sentiment!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

Blog Entries

The Fender is not going to be so horrible that its worth disappointing your spouse. The relative quality of entry level mandolins is not very important. What counts is getting it, and playing it and getting up to speed and eventually to the point where you want something better. You will anyway regardless what you get.

The entire staff
    funny....

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    I think he'd feel worse if he knew his gift were perceived to be inadequate--based on what a bunch of mandolin-obsessed people told his wife on the internet
    Ha! Ya'll are too funny! Thank you all so much for the information. I feel much better now. I know that the sound won't be the best, but for learning on it will be fine. And I have made a few CBGs so I know a little about what to look for as far as stringed instruments go. I should be able to tell fairly quickly if there is a big problem. And because I am quick to jump into new things, my husband and I both think that upgrading is fine, if it's something one of us is spending time on. So I don't think that will be a problem in the future if I stick with it.

So now, I guess I need to do research on setup - someone mentioned an ebook? And I need to hunt down someone in my area?

This forum is a great resource - thank you all for the advice!

Yes, find someone who is willing to take the time to do a good set up. Not sure of your area, but finding a luthier is a really good bet. I would also bet that if you search the cafe you can find a maker or a recommended shop within a reasonable distance from wherever you are.
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

Astabeth: You are already at the right place to research setup luthiers. I'd start a thread entitled something like "Setup in Monkey's Knuckles, Nebraska" (or wherever you live). People do it all the time.

33. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Astabeth,

I sent you the ebook. Memorable name, btw! Do the full setup and the Fender will be plenty good for the next year or two. As your playing gets better you will learn how to bring tone from it and it will actually improve your playing. Sooner or later MAS will hit and you will buy something better. Over a year or so ago someone posted a YouTube video of an old Italian guy playing the absolute heck out of a cheap mandolin. Give me Tiger Woods' golf clubs and I still won't break 100. Give me A Steinway and I'm still no Horowitz.

Get the Fender and play it until you know why you need a more expensive mandolin. Like some others have said, it's the first step in the journey.

35. The following members say thank you to Rob Meldrum for this post:

I dunno - if someone gives me a sweater for xmas and it's the wrong color/style isn't it normal to be able to do an exchange? I don't see much difference here - just exchanging for a style the op likes better???
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

There'll be plenty of opportunity ahead for sewing the seeds of discontent...why not wait until the gift is unwrapped?

Anyway, best of luck Astabeth--I hope you remain feeling better about it. A musical instrument on Christmas is a very nice gift--you'll be amazed how much music is inside of it, Fender or not

38. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

My 2 cents:
    First, be excited and grateful!
    Second, get it set up and play the heck out of it.
    Third, save for a better one as your skills progress, but keep this one around! It will come in handy to have a less expensive mando around. I keep my Rogue in the car and I don't worry about it. You mentioned camping - perfect! When I need a spare for my kids to noodle with - nothing better!
    I got my Rogue for $40, learned on it, and eventually bought a nice Breedlove that I'm very happy with. But honestly, I probably play that Rogue just as much as the Breedlove because it's always with me in the car. I'm so glad I have it, and I think you'll feel the same.
    Breedlove Quartz FF
    Eastwood Mandocaster

40. The following members say thank you to parttimepicker for this post:

Have a Fender FM61se, as a magnetic pickup semi solid body 8 string its pickup and strings
    vibrating over the pickup are more of the sound,
    than the pieces of wood they are attached to..

The Acoustic ones tend to be sturdy and thickly finished , so a good keeper
    even if the desire for a better acousticly
    resonant mandolin over time Relegates it to the Beater spare for the camp grounds
    after a while .

of course Production variation out of the factory is a separate issue ..

2nd FM61 bought by another player in the area, the neck set Glue job alignment
    was not as good
    so marginally useful, but for as a High Bottle neck slide setup.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

42. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post: