Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ultimate OLD and IN THE WAY

Blog Entries

Default Re: The ultimate OLD and IN THE WAY

I love that song.

Oh... never mind.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I have a recollection that is sort of the flip side of this coin. In the winter of 1977-1978 I was living in Berkeley, and went to see the Jerry Garcia Band for the first and only time at some small club. They took a long time to come out for the first set and then took a long break between sets. During the down time the sound guy played the first David Grisman Quintet album - just-released - and with all that time, I got to hear it all the way through nearly twice. I had never heard it before, though I must have read about it somewhere, because I knew what it was. I liked the JGB alright - some of it seemed a bit lopey and loopy, and overall not as adventurous as Grateful Dead - but that Dawg music took me for a ride and really stuck with me. I was well aware of Grisman from his two songs on "American Beauty" and the OAITW album, but this was a whole 'nuther sum'thin' that wasn't no part of nothin' else I'd ever heard before. It really opened my mind to the possibilities of the mandolin.

And thanks to SternART for one of the best-written posts I've ever read here.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Wow, this thread - and has it been resurrected?
    SternArt - I can tell you were there; like really there. Your description is entirely experiential. No thought required. Genuine peaked interest experience.
    On the Canadian side I saw most of the musicians mentioned in this thread - and that, thanks to various friends who just kinda dragged me along to see "who"? Grisman et al, a couple times, once in a small venue church with Mark O"Connell, Vassar with some new young kid named Tony Rice; but it was the Vassar Clements show. Yeh, we really liked him with his pipe hanging out of his mouth. And young buck Tony Rice was like almost shy and wowee. They played outdoors on the front lawn of Univ of Guelph, ON. The cops had to shut it down cos some idiot made a noise complaint. - Doc and Merle, and Doc solo. @ Ontario Place, Toronto. Bill Monroe and His Bluegrass Boys at the original Carlyle Bluegrass Festival (my first) circa 1977, dancing like a crazy thing in front of the stage. But I never saw Garcia.
    Thanks bigtime for this thread. As someone mentioned this is like a history, or an anthology, or something big. I can't believe I just read this entire thread. These musicians were my introduction to Bluegrass. This is how I got my ears burned.
    Just a great thread. Thanx again.
    I also saw most of the rock history in the 60's 70's; but that's some other story, some other thread. But I never saw Jimi.
    Some pretty crazy times back then. dontcha know.

After seeing the Dead in '74, I got the little 33 1/3 disk that they sent to their mailing list and subsequently the full LP. That stuck in my head. After

Blog Entries

Missed the recording date yesterday. Best we know is this was recorded October 8, 1973.

Old & In The Way

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Thanks Alan......that is the Acoustic Oasis, Grisman's download site: http://acousticoasis.com/vault2.html

I saw those Good ol' Boys too.......they played the Bay Area, I was hoping Garcia might show up, he didn't, but Frank & all-star band were still a lot of fun!
    Fun to re-read this thread.

Interestingly, the Good Ol' Boys record/band came up in discussion at IBMA, I think with Tom Rozum. Pat Campbell was the bass player on that record and he is a well-rounded and respected Bay Area musician. Frank moved to the West Coast for a period right around when that record was recorded and subsequently did the record Bluegrass with Jon Glik, the Lindner boys, Tom Stern. Good recording, with tunes like Bluegrass Band #1, New Musician's Waltz, The Greek, etc.

If anyone has a copy of that recording, please contact me. We can trade...