Thread: Lack of Eastman oval holes

Slacker

Default Lack of Eastman oval holes

Hey everyone,
    I'm in the market for an upgrade to my current mandolin and have been looking at Eastmans lately. However, I've noticed that no one seems to have any oval holes(504/514/614) in stock. Is Eastman still making those models or should I be looking for something else?
    "If we weren't all crazy, we'd just go insane" - J. Buffett

Default Re: Lack of Eastman oval holes

I've been looking for one recently and have found the same problem! Many list them, but none have them in stock. I ended up buying a 604 that was posted in the classifieds (I'm anxiously awaiting delivery!) but that's the only place I'm seeing them. I, too am curious about the cause of this shortage.
    Summit F-200
    Eastman 515

Slacker

Unfortunately, there seems to be a shortage of ovals in general; at least with popular pac-rim manufacturers. There's a killer Weber Bighorn oval at the local shop here but I can't justify the price tag. Maybe this is my excuse to buy it anyway.

If you look closer you will find a lack of Eastman Mandolins in stock, in general. Mostly what yo find in stock are 305's & some 315's.
    They are way behind on back orders. I ordered an MD-815V in early July. I would still be waiting for it, but I bought a used one in November.

MD614 pumpkin F-4 lookalike at Gryphon Stringed Instruments $925

Save up $300-400 more bucks and get a Gibson A Jr or similar. Seriously. The import oval hole mandolins are weak sauce in comparison.

Slacker

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still fairly new to playing mandolin but I'm ready for an upgrade. I hear a lot of people suggest a vintage Gibson, and that's probably sound advice. To be honest though, I'd like something a little newer. I'm within driving distance to "The Mandolin Store" and I'm hoping to get up there in the next few weeks. Maybe they'll have something I like, within my budget.

As a Weber Bighorn owner i can enthusiastically endorse that idea. There are some Eastman DGM2s around both used and new at dealers.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

On average dealers receive their Eastman orders 3-6 months after they are placed. Oval hole versions have been taking longer. I have unfilled MD504 orders placed in March and these are not my oldest orders. It took nearly 2 years to get Left handed 515 models. Just about every Eastman I get is pre-sold to someone so I rarely have any in stock that are available for purchase if someone calls looking for one. I am sure this is typical of most of the dealers.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

The Kentucky KM 170 series is a pretty good imported oval for very short dough.
    Steve

Check out the classifieds, there are at least five oval hole mandolins, in different price ranges for sale at the moment.
    Oval hole Eastman's pop up regulary on eBay too.
    However a trip to the Mandolin Store sounds like a lot of fun.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Save up $300-400 more bucks and get a Gibson A Jr or similar. Seriously. The import oval hole mandolins are weak sauce in comparison.
    Or get a Jacobson!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

It's said "what you see , depends on where you look"

did you ask your Eastman Dealer if they can get you what you want,?

though with their money they speculated that the F hole models will sell better,
    so that is what They bought for their inventory.

customer demand will have a retailer's response..

call well ahead of time and the store will have time to order it
    and do setup before you get there..

... the one they had may have just sold to someone else..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I tried a 514 last month in Saratoga NY. I really wanted to like it but preferred my 615 and the store's 315. It wasn't balanced tone/projectionwise. I don't know. I really wanted to like it. It seemed dull. Maybe old strings?

Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    did you ask your Eastman Dealer if they can get you what you want,?
    Unfortunately, the only local shop that actually stocks any mandolins doesn't sell Eastmans, unless they happen to get a used one in. I haven't actually played an Eastman yet, they just seem to be a good choice for my price range. I'm not dead set on Eastman, or any particular brand for that matter. My wife, however, might put me in the dog house if I spend too much on another mando.

Eastman instruments are quite good. I am a middle school band director and a professional trumpet player. Their brass instruments are quite good and I would play them at a gig without hesitation. My 615 is also a very nice instrument, but it will be a while before I get paid to play it!

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

There's an Eastman 804D on e-bay that looks to be alright. I have the 805D, and have been resisting the urge to buy this one, too. I haven't heard what the 804's sound like, so I can't either recommend or speak against their sound. They listed in the $1400-1500 range when new, tho. It might be worth looking into.
    Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastman-804-...item4174f3ab94
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

For some reason ovals have been hard to get this year. I have them all on order. I order huge quantities of all of the Eastman models to try and keep them in stock but its still not easy with the spotty deliveries. I do have 6 MD304s coming in this week.
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    or better yet (and Marty is far too modest to point this out) save up that amount and get a custom-made Jacobson oval. Talk about "strong sauce"! I enjoy mine (#17) every day.
    MK

Whoops...see Jim G. already recommended Marty's work. Well, consider this a second!

This just popped up in the classifieds....

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/71665

It may be more then you are willing to spend but it looks like a lot of mandolin for the money.

NFI
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    To be honest though, I'd like something a little newer. I'm within driving distance to "The Mandolin Store" and I'm hoping to get up there in the next few weeks. Maybe they'll have something I like, within my budget.
    Turtle, if you do go to the Mandolin Store, check out the Breedlove OO mandolins. They also have a less expensive model called the Crossover. I had a chance to play a OO at a local guitar ahop and really liked it a lot.
    Charley

Slacker

Thanks for all the suggestions. There's so many options, it's almost dizzying. I'm definitely excited about finding a nicer mando though.