Thread: weber octave mandolins

Post weber octave mandolins

hello to all,
    have a couple of questions about the d hole and the f hole models that are offered by Weber. first, what is the difference in the scales 20" versus the 22",is one scale preferred over the other? and finally, the sound that is produced from each instrument and the application to certain types of music? think that is my final question I hope. anyway I am rather interested in this type of instrument since I have my mandolin and hope to one day afford a Weber. thanks to all who answer my post. Joe

Default Re: weber octave mandolins

I have the 20" D hole Gallatin and love it, very deep and dark, resonant.
    I'm sure someone out there has one with the traditional F holes.

here are some samples if you are interested

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuImFuld8dnyjNmps9qGtbA

3. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Scale length is really more a matter of preference; longer scales mean the frets are farther apart, leading to more "stretches" to make certain chords. Most of the introductory Asian-import octave mandolins, such as the Trinity College and Gold Tone, have the shorter scales, with long-scale instruments being labeled as "bouzoukis." Weber offers instruments in both lengths, and which one you select is pretty much based on how comfortable you are with the various scale lengths.

The conventional wisdom of f-hole versus oval (or "D") soundholes, is that the f-hole models -- which also have carved, arched tops -- are more "percussive" sounding, with a sharp initial attack and quicker decay. Weber used to make a flat-top, D-hole octave mandolin, the Sage, but I think this is no longer manufactured. Their other octaves all seem to have arched carved tops, and the oval-hole or D-hole instruments could be expected to have a less percussive, more "ringing" sound: not as sharp an initial attack, but the sound would sustain longer.

Again, these are generalizations, and may or may not apply to any Weber instrument. Weber's noted for excellent construction and top-notch consumer service as well. Hope you get one.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

thank you allen for your in depth explanation concerning these different types, it gives me something to think about as to which one I am going to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Weber's noted for excellent construction and top-notch consumer service as well. Hope you get one.
    I second that emotion!

I think that the other difference with the scale lengths is that an OM with a longer scale length can produce richer lower tones, because it holds those thicker thicker strings with greater tension.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

8. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Blog Entries

I have a Weber mandola and a Weber mandolin. They're both wonderful. And Bruce Weber is a joy to deal with. The mandola has a big rich tone. Both are oval or round hole; I personally like the sound better than f holes, but then that's just me.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

10. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

I bought a Weber Yellowstone octave with the D-hole a little over a year ago. It's the 20" scale. I selected it based on a video that I watched over and over. I was looking for something that might sound like a lute. I can't really saw if it sounds like a lute, but I'm very happy with it, especially for Renaissance pieces where I can play melody and chords simultaneously. One thing I can add is that it really helps to change the strings frequently. If the lower set become flaccid the sound and playability both suffer.

12. The following members say thank you to King Dave for this post:

King Dave I agree, seems like the strings do wear out faster, they seem to slacken earlier than expected. I do play the heck out of my octave so might be a contributor, but interesting observation. I don't really experience that with my mandolin or mandola or mandocello. I'm using D'addario J80s

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

I own a Weber mandolin and highly recommend instruments by Bruce Weber.
    Although I don't own an OM, I've played a bunch at Mandolin Brothers.
    I found that the difference of the 2" in scale length makes a HUGE difference in how "easy" it is to play.
    My initial instinct was to gravitate towards the short scale OM's (20")
    Weber OM's are very beautiful instruments and I hope to buy one in the near future.
    Collings MF

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traveling Tracks For This Useful Post:

a big thanks to all who took time out to give me their thoughts on Weber Octave mandolins, I am headed in the direction of an A style F hole Gallatin 20" love the color and the sound of it!