Thread: wire Inlay

Unhappy wire Inlay

I want to try this but have no idea where to start. What kind of wire, is it round or square ? It's very elegant looking. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Les

Default Re: wire Inlay

It can be round or square. I buy it square from uGems on Amazon. That way you have a little more leeway when sanding. Round wire has to be sanded perfectly flat and seated perfectly true everywhere or you get varying thickness. 22 gauge wire, coincidentally, just happens to fit perfectly into my .023" fret cutter slots. So I cut my grooves with my fret slot cutter and then press the wire into the slots. I cut miters with a razor blade on a piece of granite or something. It's almost as easy (or painful) as doing wood string inlay.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130821-IMG_2527.jpg 
Views:	3004 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	110088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire.jpg 
Views:	3175 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	110089

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Marty could you post a pic of your fret slot cutter. I can't quite picture cutting curves with a slot cutter

I should have mentioned, I do it with a CNC router. But you can do it with a Dremel in a router base if you've got steady hands...

Some info here that might be useful.

thanks for those links, I've been wanting to try some wire work as well.

Thanks for the link Sunburst, I envy those that have CNC machines but I think that would take the fun & the challenge out of it.I'm going to try it with my dremel but I'm sure It's going to take some practice

9. The following members say thank you to Les Corley for this post:

Yeah, CNC isn't for everyone. Personally, if I wanted to work with computers I'd try to find something that pays better than lutherie!

Oh yeah, CNC is the least fun and most intellectually painful way to make one of anything.
    It's starts to get pretty useful once you're about 5,000 hours into it, though... It's just hard to justify, because unless you know how to make something the traditional way, you probably won't be able to make it using CNC.

12. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post: