Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Capo conspiracy?

Default Capo conspiracy?

I've repeatedly noted that mandolin players very rarely use a capo.

I could come up with any number silly theories, but could it come down to "Capos? We don' need no steenking capos!"?
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

Default Re: Capo conspiracy?

Wait, I thought it was my turn to start an very, very, long and acrimonious thread? I was going to do 'do A style and F style sound different?', but this will do just fine.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

CeeCee_CJim 

There are lots of good things you might want to use a capo on a mandolin for. But, as my first mandolin teacher explained to me, "we don't do those things".

Blog Entries

A gentleman does not use a capo.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

This one'll go on forever. Suggest you do a search on "capo" and read one of the multi-page threads. Definitely many opinions on the subject!

However, here's mine.

1. A capo is a tool that can be useful at times, especially if you want an "open string" effect in a key that makes that difficult.

2. A capo is not a substitute for learning how to play in those keys, however; it shouldn't be a "crutch."

3. Due to its shorter fingerboard, mandolin is less adaptable to the capo than longer-scale instruments such as guitar and banjo. There's not a lot of room for fretting if you cut three or four frets off the fingerboard by attaching a capo.

4. There seem to be more noticeable intonation problems with a capoed mandolin, also probably an artifact of the shorter scale length.

5. Larger mandolin-family instruments, such as mandola and octave mandolin, are often capoed, with little discussion.

6. There's a fair amount of peer pressure not to use a capo (check those other threads). Bluegrass mandolinists almost never use one (you can find exceptions, but they're rare). One can draw sneers from the anti-capo crowd by using one.

I have used a capo when I was playing in an "odd" key but wanted to sound like a first-position fiddle tune. And I felt no shame. Having said that, I doubt I capo my mandolins once a year -- but I use capos all the time on my mandolas, octave mandolins, and mandocelli.

Summing up my position: use a capo when you feel it necessary or preferable, don't rely on it as a substitute for learning the fingerboard -- and don't make a moral/ethical issue out of it. Just my 2¢.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

necks already short ... Irish Zouk is a whole different story.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I could go find the youtube video of Ricky Skaggs using a capo, and the other one with Darrell Scott using a capo (on a mando). But I will wait for this to go on a little lot longer.

10. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post

Summing up my position: use a capo when you feel it necessary or preferable, don't rely on it as a substitute for learning the fingerboard -- and don't make a moral/ethical issue out of it. Just my 2¢.
    Well said. The only other thing I would add is that all the audience cares about is how good it sounds.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    I could go find the youtube video of Ricky Skaggs using a capo, and the other one with Darrell Scott using a capo. But I will wait for this to go on a little lot longer.
    Also, Sam Bush has said he used one in the studio and the late John McGann used one to win at Winfield. But let's not let the facts cloud anyone's judgement. Bill didn't use one, so that's the end of it!

13. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    I could go find the youtube video of Ricky Skaggs using a capo...
    Here ya go:

Both Skaggs and Gillian Welch appear to be playing in C using G-position chords, capoed up five frets.

And you can't tell me Skaggs doesn't know how to play in C without a capo. He just wanted the sound of open-string G chords for the song, I guess.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Just to help out, here is every thread on the Cafe with the word "capo" in the subject line.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

CeeCee_C, judging by the previous threads it looks like you already know the best reason to use a capo on mandolin: string changes!

19. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Markus 

Let me get this straight: you've got the instrument with the most miniscule sized scale (or close to it) already, and you'd want to make it even shorter? I doubt I'd even be able to play on such an animal...

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

21. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Good lord, this is bordering on politics at the dinner table, isn't it?

Personally, I find that using a capo compounds the already-present challenge of having big hands and playing a small instrument. I bump into it all the time and knock it out of whack. For rhythm playing I've usually found it easy enough to use closed-position chords and just move around the neck. For melody... well, I flail around badly enough when I'm playing in familiar keys, what's a couple accidental accidentals among friends?
    If I call my guitar my "axe," does that mean my mandolin is my hatchet?

Breedlove Quartz KF
    Kit Built Oval Hole
    Martin 000M
    Highland Harp

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mattdeblass2

Feed My Ego, Visit My Youtube Page

Nothing wrong with using a capo if you feel like and it sounds the way you want. Who cares what anyone else says?

I don't use one because I forget where I put mine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Let me get this straight: you've got the instrument with the most miniscule sized scale (or close to it) already, and you'd want to make it even shorter? I doubt I'd even be able to play on such an animal...

bratsche
    Ever hear of a piccolo mandolin? CGDA a fourth above a regular mandolin. Lots of them in the bowl-back days. Gibson made them at one time and Weber makes them now.

CeeCeeC, you've opened a serious can of worms here! Two hours and some of the "notes" have already chimed in! Buying more popcorn when I go out in a few minutes!
    I don't use a capo but, there are times when it would make life easier for certain. I don't really have much of an opinion one way or another. I like the " We don't need no steeenkin' capos" reference though, heheheh.
    I used to keep one in my case but, I think my banjo player stole it!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

I finally found the capo I was looking for for my banjo - just to have it, in case I ever learn to play the darn thing. And, my DH said to buy two. So, I put my spare in the mandolin case pocket, since it fits.
    The only time I use a capo on my mandolin is when I'm changing strings! I just can't seem to keep control of the string when it's hooked on the tailpiece while I'm adding slack and threading the string through the tuner peg. The capo gives me a temporary "extra hand."
    I haven't used it while playing the mandolin.
    However, I'm keeping it handy, in case my group suddenly decides we need to play a song I don't know well in a key that's not in our book. For example, we've used the Parking Lot Pickers book a lot. It has the lovely song, Who Will Sing For Me, and the person who requests it likes to play it in a different key for her voice. I've got the revised chords noted, but I struggle with transposing on the fly - so I have my capo handy just to try it, the next time it's requested.
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    Ever hear of a piccolo mandolin? CGDA a fourth above a regular mandolin. Lots of them in the bowl-back days. Gibson made them at one time and Weber makes them now.
    Not really. They are pretty rare even in the bowlback days. I have only seen maybe 6 or 7 total. Leland flatbacks were sold by Lyon & Healy -- I have one of those plus one no-name bowlback. I have seen a few pics of Italian instruments even one Embergher. I have never seen any parts for the piccolo mandolin written in mandolin orchestra scores.

Now back to our scintillating discussion about capons. Errr....
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I'll repeat what has already been stated, wouldn't want to change strings without a capo around!

Having Gillian Welch in a discussion about the use of a capo, David Rawlings is a monster user of one on his guitar. During the BBC sessions he pulls out capo for a solo, then takes it back off, and starts playing again. It is the second solo, his first is at 1:11 and then at 1:50 he does the capo work.

John McGann won Winfield playing a set of tunes using a capo. If you want to use one just use it. No matter what the capo police are saying it's simply a tool and if it floats your boat have at it. I have one. It confuses the crap out of me to use it but it's there.

I use one all the time on the guitar and the banjo.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    This one'll go on forever. Suggest you do a search on "capo" and read one of the multi-page threads. Definitely many opinions on the subject!

However, here's mine.

1. A capo is a tool that can be useful at times, especially if you want an "open string" effect in a key that makes that difficult.

2. A capo is not a substitute for learning how to play in those keys, however; it shouldn't be a "crutch."

3. Due to its shorter fingerboard, mandolin is less adaptable to the capo than longer-scale instruments such as guitar and banjo. There's not a lot of room for fretting if you cut three or four frets off the fingerboard by attaching a capo.

4. There seem to be more noticeable intonation problems with a capoed mandolin, also probably an artifact of the shorter scale length.

5. Larger mandolin-family instruments, such as mandola and octave mandolin, are often capoed, with little discussion.

6. There's a fair amount of peer pressure not to use a capo (check those other threads). Bluegrass mandolinists almost never use one (you can find exceptions, but they're rare). One can draw sneers from the anti-capo crowd by using one.

I have used a capo when I was playing in an "odd" key but wanted to sound like a first-position fiddle tune. And I felt no shame. Having said that, I doubt I capo my mandolins once a year -- but I use capos all the time on my mandolas, octave mandolins, and mandocelli.

Mine too. However, I get the feeling this thread was started for the purpose of making a moral/ethical issue, based on the wording of the OP. My "capo conspiracy" theory.
    Last edited by mandolirius; Dec-03-2013 at 7:38pm.

I don't use one on my mandolin (Bill did'nt) but I do use one on my fiddle.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Not really. They are pretty rare even in the bowlback days. I have only seen maybe 6 or 7 total. Leland flatbacks were sold by Lyon & Healy -- I have one of those plus one no-name bowlback. I have seen a few pics of Italian instruments even one Embergher. I have never seen any parts for the piccolo mandolin written in mandolin orchestra scores.
    Yep, I'd heard of 'em (sounds like it'd be a nightmare to play!); didn't think they were all too common, for obvious reasons.

(Nothing against capos in principle, my aversion is only to cramped fingers!)

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I haven't replied to any of the other "capo" threads so I guess I get to respond to this one!

I've never needed a capo at a jam. However, I play a monthly gig with a singer/guitarist who uses one on most songs. He usually doesn't settle on a key until right before he starts the song. In that situation, I use a capo.

35. The following members say thank you to Bob Bronow for this post:

jmp