Thread: Amplifiers

Registered User Mike Steadfast-Ward's Avatar

Question Amplifiers

I have a Laney GC80a Amplifier which is both Acoustic and Electric which I use for my Guitars. along with a Boss ME 10 processor. Will I need to obtain a special Amplifier for use with the Mandolin?

I would appreciate any advice on this subject as I am a total novice on the subject of mandolins. Thankyou in advance.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Amplifiers

Assuming you have all that's required to connect the mandolin to the amp I would say the best thing to do is to work with your existing amp for a while to determine what characteristics you like and what you would like changed. You need to wear away a bit of the newness and experience what you already have. Then we can help steer you toward an amp that will do more for you. You may find there's no reason to change.

If you don't have a pickup and all that's needed for the hook up, we can certainly help with that! Welcome to the Café.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

3. The following members say thank you to Tim2723 for this post:

Registered User Mike Steadfast-Ward's Avatar

Good advice Tim, well received. Thank you.

Plus, an Impedance Matching transformer will let you use a Dynamic Microphone
    or an onboard battery powered condenser mic
    and plug it in where the Electric Guitar input is.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

6. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

yes, as mandroid says , it depends on what type of pickup, if you use an acoustic/electric with an active pickup, like one with batteries in it, "godin a8" your guitar amp could work pretty good,
    if you are using a piezo pickup you will need the preamp to match the impedance/

but I think its recommended by some to have 8" speakers instead of 10 or 12" for speaker response, not sure what your amp has.

if you are able you can try some amps out with the setup you have and see what works out for you
    ,, the fishman loudbox has a 10 mega ohm impedance which works with piezo pickups. it also would work for your electric guitar,.. good luck

8. The following members say thank you to kjbllc for this post: