Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In The Shadow of Cold Mountain

I have a brother who is a Free Will Baptist minister and on my last visit I was look at his hymnals. #All had the shaped notes.

From a music theory perspective, does the shape provide different information than the staff it is placed on or is is a parallel notation?

Quote Originally Posted by (Jon @ Dec. 19 2003,09:49)
    Sacred Harp singing is happens in east Texas. What makes it unique are the arrangements and the fervor and intensity of the singing.
    Jon, do you live in East Texas? I going back home next week. I miss it.

guys:
    let's clarify something. the white/zellweger relationship happened after the filming of the movie. they met there. jack white was hired to play a part in the film. he wasn't hired because he was involved w/a star.
    i didn't see the a&e broadcast in question. but i do know from seeing the white stripes that they're (he and meg---they're a blues-based guitar/drum duo for those of you who avoid popular culture) introducing teenagers to the music of son house, leadbelly & robert johnson (i've seen the stripes cover all three in concert). this is much like what the stones did to me when i was a teenager in the 70's. & truthfully, the white stripes are one of the few new rock bands out there that are any good in my humble 45 year old opinion.
    your mileage may vary.
    sam

Lots of this discussion on Tim O'Brien's forum.

There someone mentions that the movie wasn't filmed in North Carolina or even the U.S.A., but Romania.

Is this true? And, WHY FOR GOODNESS SAKES? Stuff like this bugs me. Tim and Dirk should have done the entire soundtrack.

DM
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

Romania now looks like Appalachia did in the 1860s, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by
    Romania now looks like Appalachia did in the 1860s, maybe?
    Maybe. But Appalachia still looks like Appalachia in the 1860s! From what I read about the entertainment industry lately, the mantra seems to be cost control. Done right, offshore shoots in depressed countries can save big bucks, especially on things like extras and set labor. My guess is that is more likely the motive.

But Appalachia still looks like Appalachia in the 1860s!
    I grew up in a coal mining town and today it doesn't look like it looked in the 1960s much less the 1860s. #There are few places in Appalachia where they could film a mountain top vista without seeing power lines, strip mine scars or the haze of polution.

But, I'll concede your point, it was most likely cost driven.

Jacob -

Thanks for the link to The Sacred Harp. #I'd memorized the BEADGCF for the order of the flats in a key signature but in that book I found a logical explanation of the order.

Riley Baugus of Walkertown NC who does some playing and I believe is on screen some in the movie, is a great choice for conveying the true Old Time feel.

jflynnstl -

I will agree, Jack White's redition of Wayfaring Sranger was not that impressive. His fake Applachian accent really grated on me.

Riley Baugus and Cold Mountain
    "He's the best claw-hammer banjo player in the United States," says Polecat Creek singer-songwriter Laurelyn Dossett. "That might be a slight exaggeration, but he's in the top five."
    Cold Mountain - Not Made in North Carolina
    "About two years ago, the producers moved "Cold Mountain" to Romania because they realized they could save $12 million from a $83 million movie by filming it in a rugged land, devoid of development, where snow fell six months out of the year."

ahhh, hollywood. as if anything coming from there really had any meaning at all...

If yer playing traditional music, why care about what those doyens of the bottom line are producing? Just do it.

While we may bemaon the fact that Jack White is singing Wayfaring Stranger we can be sure that this will lead some people to seek out the originals and help turn more people on to Old-Time music. I believe that we need those with a media spotlight to turn attention to types of music that are often overlooked in our commercial world.
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

amen.

Since the people who speak for this movie seem to be falling all over themselves to wave the flags of "authenticity," "honesty" and "courage," shouldn't that sign be moved to Romania along with the money and the jobs?

No. #
    The sign belongs where it is, overlooking Cold Mountain.
    Hopefully, the movie will increase interest in the locations where the story told in the book took place.
    Come and see the real Cold Mountain.

jflynnstl

I just watched this punk, Jack White, from the "White Stripes" the most ludicrous rock bank I have ever seen, absolutely butcher one of my favorite old-time tunes, "Wayfaring Stranger" on this A&E special. It was as bad as Rosanne Barr singing the national anthem. Even more ridiculous is that he was backed up by the great Mike Compton on mando and a couple other serious traditional musicians. Jack White was obviously trying for "high and lonesome" but it came out like nails on a chalkboard. And where is this guy's traditional music credentials that he gets to do this great hymn on the soundtrack? This is like some kind of musical version of "The Simple Life" with Paris Hilton on the farm.

This is especially ironic and aggregious considering that one of the great, great renditions of this song was done on the "Songs From the Mountain," CD, which was also inspired by the book, "Cold Mountain." On that CD, Tim O'Brien really did that tune justice. Why didn't the suits at the studio have Tim do it? Or any number of other great OT voices? I was all set to see this movie...not now.
    I finally got the chance to see this program and really don't understand why you hated it so much. Yes Jack White isn't Tom O'Brien. But then no one else is either so I can't hold that against him. That also doesn't make him a "punk". BTW one of those other "serious traditional musicians" playing with him was Stuart Duncan. If you think the "White Stripes" are the most ludicrous rock bank you've ever seen then you must not get out much. What are your "rock music credentials" that lead you to make such a statement? #They happen to be the only band that I know of that were the musical guest for an entire week on a late night talk show (Conan O'Brian).

GVD
    GVD

Aaaahhh... come on boys, it's a New Year....

"...traditional music credentials...." come from those who're playing the music. Thank god fer blacktop parking lots, half-arse-ed fiddlers, long sunsets and hollywood schlock.

They happen to be the only band that I know of that were the musical guest for an entire week on a late night talk show (Conan O'Brian).
    Wow! On Conan! Well, I take it all back then.

mando johnny
    ok dude. come clean. you're bashing jack white on 3 seperate threads around here. why does the guy iritate you so much? have you ever really listened to a 'stripes disc? or are you just going after the persona you see in rolling stone?
    sam
    (i'm 45. i still like to rock......)

I've seen the Stripes on TV multiple times, enough to know that I wouldn't even use one of thier CDs as a coaster if someone gave it to me. The first time I saw them was on Letterman and I thought it was a one of Dave's parodies. I had a hard time believing it was actually supposed to be a serious act. But I thought, OK, whatever, there are lot of acts out there I don't care for. But this whole Cold Mountain thing is very dissappointing to me.

So you want me to "come clean." OK, I'm even older than you and I have been rockin' since I can remember, both as a fan and a guitarist. BTW, I have very wide tastes in music, everything from punk rock, to hip hop, to old-time, to season tickets to the opera. With White, I called it like I saw it and I stand behind it. People wanna disagree, that's OK. People challenge my right to have an opinion, I'll mix it up with 'em. I have fun either way!

mando johnny
    having your own opinion is totally cool. & you're a better man than me. i don't think i could hang with the opera.
    sam

I had the same reaction to Jack White when I saw the A&E promo of the movie.
    If you really want ot hear a moving rendition of Wayfaring Stranger, listen to the Monroe version on the Smithsonian record of his concerts. While it is not studio perfect, it is hair raising. WSM gets the words wrong, he misses timing on his solos and it is still powerful stuff.

Mike Keyes