Thread: Lie-Nielsen Beauty

Default Lie-Nielsen Beauty

I visited a Lie-Nielsen hands-on event this afternoon and experienced this bit of beautiful engineering. Wow is an understatement.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/joinery-p...t-board-plane/

The price means they got to keep theirs... but... Christmas is coming...

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Lie-Nielsen Beauty

This one from Lee Valley is probably just as good and not nearly as expensive. Neither is cheap, though.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

3. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

The No. 9 is cool, too... but the beauty of a shooting board is that it works with pretty much any plane.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN2.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	109746

The skew cut seems to be part of the secret sauce.

Speaking of shooting boards, does anyone have good plans for one or pictures of one big enough for jointing the plates?

The skew cut, and most likely the angle of the iron (cutting angle) are apparently optimized for cutting end grain and miters, according to the description. I never do that, so I can't imagine needing the plane for my own instrument building.
    For jointing the plates I use an antique Buhl plane the size of a Stanley #7, I clamp the plane to a work bench and push the halves of the plate across the plane. I also clamp a piece of melamine board to the work bench top to elevate the wood toward the center of the plane. Simple, portable, quick and (usually) easy. No shooting board required.

7. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

John -

Using that setup, are you prone to snipe? When I do it like that, I end up with a nice arc at the ends of my plates...

9. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

Depends. There's nearly always a tendency to have a low center or low edges or some kind of deviation from dead straight. It's up to us to plane a straight surface. if you're getting snipe, or ends rounded over, take a partial pass or two that doesn't go from end to end, then make a full pass and check against a strong light. If you have a constant tendency to round the ends over, start the cutting stroke with light pressure on the cut, increase pressure in the middle and then lighten up again toward the other end.
    Usually, as soon as I get a continuous shaving from end to end I have a good, straight jointed edge. Sometimes I have to "play with it" for awhile.

11. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I could definitely see using that plane for jointing tops & backs. Lie-Nielsen makes the best planes hands down. I wish I could afford to buy more of them.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

I have looked at both of these. Maybe someday I will splurge and buy one of them. That is a hefty price tag for bot and not sure I can justify it right now. >>>mike