Thread: Need some advis on M-Audio AV40 or similar priced studio monitors

Default Need some advis on M-Audio AV40 or similar priced studio monitors

Hi,

I want to get a "cheap pair" of studio monitors as I'm just starting the process of recording our bluegrass band for a demo CD. Haven't got a lot of cash to spare, and not using top of the range professional equipment to record anyway.

Thinking of getting the M-Audio AV40 as the price looks right and the reviews OK, but none of the latter specifically talk about acoustic music (either folk or bluegrass), so not sure if they would be suitable.

Anyone have any experience with them or recommend something else not more than £100 ($150 equivalent).

I realize at this price I'm not going to get a professional set of speakers but I'm not after that. I jest need a decent pair that will reproduce sound fairly accurately. In the end, mist people will be listening tot he recording online or on their laptops, and probably not paying a huge amount of attention to the quality anyway, as it's just a demo.

Thanks

Frank

Default Re: Need some advis on M-Audio AV40 or similar priced studio moni

Frank I use the AV40's upstairs on my one computer system and find them quite adequate for starting out, they of course are not going to be as "true" as the $1000 monitors on my other system. On the other hand my old ears have a tough time discerning the difference if there is any. The idea of monitors is that they are designed to be flat in their response (no coloration like speakers) so acoustic or amplified audio should make no difference. The AV40's do a great job for the mandolin, guitar and bass mixing I do with them. All this IMHO.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

I haven't heard those particular Alesis speakers, so this is just a general comment. If your budget is $150 for a pair, then I think there probably isn't a great deal of difference between what's available in that price range. Maybe someone else here can jump in with other recommendations, but the Alesis monitors will probably be okay (I see Dave just added a supporting comment). It's a tight budget for monitors, but you're doing the right thing by not trying to mix the project with headphones.

With monitors that small, and I'm guessing in a room without ideal acoustics and room treatment, you may have trouble setting the bass at a good level that translates well to different systems. Cross-check your mixes on as many other speaker systems as you can, like boom boxes, car stereos, or home theater systems (but watch out for hyped bass response in those setups). Find a middle ground where the bass levels translate well across many types of speakers. In particular, be careful about setting bass levels too high to compensate for people listening on earbuds or laptop speakers, because it will sound too deep and woofy on a more full-range system like a car stereo or a good home stereo system (if anyone still uses those?).

Good luck with the project!
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Blog Entries

Just to put a different perspective on it, you could consider mixing/mastering your project at a local studio. Somewhere that has good monitors and a treated listening environment, or, find a friend or friend-of-a-friend who has a decent setup. Getting a good final mix is a very critical part of the entire project, and is far from easy even with first-rate equipment and in a good environment. With cheap speakers and no room treatment it is really difficult.

If you are doing it yourself, at least get some basic room treatment done around the speakers. It makes the world of difference. It does not have to cost a fortune and you can improvise with materials. This is a really excellent article on the topic.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

5. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Your budget was about what I was planning on spending for monitors when I found a like-new pair of M-Audio BX5's on craigslist for $100.00. I really like them and the seller included the cables needed for hooking up to laptop. You might consider picking up used. The BX5's sold for $299.00 a pr. new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	studio001.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	109757  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

AV40's just showed up on local CL for $80.00:
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/4192968889.html
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band