Thread: Recording Advice/Mic Recommendations

Proud Mandolin Owner BeginnerMandolinistTyler's Avatar

Default Recording Advice/Mic Recommendations

Summary: Name your recording equipment/suggestions. Cheap would be best.

Hey guys,

So I'm wanting to start recording my guitar(acoustic and mandolin just so I can a catalog of my song ideas and such. I would be recording different types of music like rock/bluegrass/whatever Punch Brothers can be classified as. I don't know where to start in terms of what I need and such. First of all, do I need an audio interface or preamp?(don't know the difference between the two) I know there are usb microphones but I haven't found one that people say is good for recording guitar. I also don't know what type of microphone I need. I'm looking for cheap(which I know is unrealistic) because I'm asking my mom for this stuff for Christmas. I'm trying to stay under $200 for everything. Even if you don't know of anything that cheap, list your go to equipment anyway so I can see the prices anyway. I have a recording program that has EQ's and reverb and compressors and I already know how to master (electronic) "music", so figuring out acoustic instruments shouldn't be that difficult. Thanks for reading this paragraph.

Default Re: Recording Advice/Mic Recommendations

If you are recording directly into software on your computer using the usb on your computer, I use this with great success.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Microph...ht_2907wt_1131

The software I use, that works fantastic, is this http://www.multitrackstudio.com/buy.php

Blog Entries

I can highly recommend this package for anyone starting out:

http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audi...carlett-studio

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarlettStu/

($249, but you may find it on offer a bit cheaper).

A very good, complete package to get you started that sounds excellent and is expandable. Works on PC and Mac. You don't have to use the supplied Cubase - it will work with just about all current recording software.

Very similar is the Presonus option, right on your budget.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxStu/

Technically, the Focusrite has the edge (USB 2.0 vs USB 1.1 and the Focusrite's mic preamps and A/D conversion are somewhat superior). Subjectively, though, both sound good and are a heck of a lot more capable than anything I had when I started out.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Get yourself a pair of small diaphragm condensers, such as Rode NT5s, and a 2 channel USB interface (a focusrite scarlet maybe) with 2 inputs. That should be all you really need to get started with acoustic recordings. Mandolins do sound better with ribbon microphones, but expect to pay a bit more for those.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chewrocket View Post
    Mandolins do sound better with ribbon microphones
    Sometimes. In some cases. Maybe. Not always.

It also depends (very much) which particular microphone you are talking about. Ribbons vary a huge amount, with some having really profound HF roll off, and other (Royers and the SE 'Neve' model, for example) having a more extended response. Long ribbon? Short ribbon? Dual ribbon? All different, and as with microphones generally, nothing works on everything, in all situations.

Some of the cheaper ribbons really don't sound very good at all. Others are quite nice. One thing they tend to have in common is a very low output, which can cause big problems with typical "interface" preamps. You need a lot of very clean, low noise gain. That can be overcome if you use a Cloudlifter or Triton Fethead, or if you use a preamp designed to work with ribbons - but expect to throw some serious $$$ in that direction if you really want to work with them. They are not really ideal if you are on a tight budget.

I have a pair of Royer 121's, which are lovely mics, but they do not suit everything, and while nice on mandolin generally, they do not suit every mandolin, either. We have another pair of SE R1's, which are quite a bit 'darker' sounding than the Royers, and do suit some instruments well, but others work better with a medium diaphragm tube condenser... or a KM184,or a LD condenser or even an SM7b. Depends on the instrument and the sound you're looking for.. and the recording space... and the preamps... lots of variables. Figure-of-8 ribbons are very 'room dependent' and if you are a beginner, or do not have a really well-treated tracking area, that can be a serious issue.

One thing is not a variable. You are not going to get a complete, workable system with a decent quality ribbon mic, or a pair of NT5's for $200/$250

I have not tried the Presonus outfit, but I have played around with the Focusrite kit. The mic is a 3/4" capsule model, so is really a medium diaphragm design. It has good transient response, and is kind of mid-way between an SDC and a LDC, well suited to both vocals and instrument recording. A good compromise. While it will not unseat a Neumann or boutique mic builder, it is capable of very respectable results if used carefully.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

6. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

You may want to consider the portable multi-track recorders, easily fit in the pocket, so you can record your playing anywhere.
    (I found that recording inside a car (with all doors closed) produces the best result).
    They have built-in MIC and the recorded sound quality is great (to my ears).

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

I have a sony portable stereo field recorder, and I record all our jams and rehearsals on it... it's great.

However, if you want a high-quality recording, you'll want a better mic. We recorded a recent rehearsal into Garage Band (on my Mac) using an MXL 990 condenser mic from this package:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ophone-package

It's not the be-all, end-all, but it sounds great, and that set of two mics is only $70.

It does need "phantom power" (which means you'll need a powered USB preamp to send the signal from the mic to the computer, but those are plentiful...)

M-audio makes one.

I have a home studio which includes some expensive mics and some not-so-expensive mics. My personal favorite for "general purpose" mandolin recording is the Blue Baby Bottle, which (used) I'd place at the high end of the not-so-expensive category. I bought mine used on EBay. You can check some out HERE.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)