Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded Fender Mando Strat

Default Re: Upgraded Fender Mando Strat

Thank you.

But. Can't find the LesPaul jr. pre-wired version on RSguitarworks website. Only "Premium Modern Les Paul Jr Electronics Upgrade".
    After googling around I found two more producers of Pre-wired Les Paul jr harness:
    martinsixstringcustoms
    jonesyblues

Does anybody know anything about their products?

Honor, Michigan (northwest lower MI by Sleeping Bear Dunes)

I don't, but there is a guy near me in Traverse City MI who makes harnesses for all kinds of electric guitars and basses. His eBay store is called Paul's Parlor Guitars (popiel52) and he has an LP jr harness there for $37+shipping. I wondered if that one would fit.

I don't know if I can post that or not, but I am going to buy some pots from him and do my MandoStrat and maybe my Zone bass.

Michael

Here are 2 pics of this Fender 099-6131-506 case.

I didn't explore a Gator GW-JM (Journeyman- streets @ $79) case that is F shaped but might also work for the Mando-Strat, as mine fits, though tightly into my very nice TKL case.
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fender Mando-Strat case .jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	113053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fender Mando-Strat case open.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	113054  
    Last edited by mcintalker; Jan-24-2014 at 10:12am. Reason: additional details

RE the harness thing. I was just going through RS Guitarworks site and on page 15 and 22 there are a couple of LP jr type harnesses.
    http://store.rsguitarworks.net/search/browse?page=15

I am not affiliated nor have I bought anything from either of these places/guys, yet. I have been researching my options and appreciate when people post what they find, here.
    Michael

I'm sure anyone can use any type of pots, 1/4" jack, and wiring. But I did business with RS in the past, and since I'm not very good at hooking up these types of setups, I called them up and they sent out the pre-wired kit. This eliminated the risk of me burning out a pot or screwing up the pickup. If someone was inclined, they could just purchase pots and a 1/4" jack from any guitar parts store and put it together themselves, but the goal was using quality parts.

@mcintalker - Having trouble finding that fender case you had pictured above. Where did you pick up yours? Thanks!

Mods, this was a double post. Please delete. Thanks!

My local shop was cleaning out their attic storage and the manager offered to let me go through the pile, since I was looking for 9 cases all together. I bought 6 (couple strats, Deluxe Fender Bass, one for my Epi Night Hawk and Schecter Hellcat VI baritone, and an acoustic), and he called me after I got home to say he found it, but thought it was a violin or went with something on the floor. It was there for 3-4 years and the zipper pulls were all off/gone, so he gave me a bargain price.

I have found it on the Fender site, but have no clue, if it is still available from them. Someone must have one for sale! I think it was for the electric thinline mandolin they had out back then. I bet you could find another!

That is the Fender part # and that might help you find one............ It has a hardshell case, inside of the nylon outer cover, though it only has one latch and closing the zippers is a must.

Michael
    ps
    I sold all my tools and parts box (a 47 year collection!) when I was broke/going through Chapter7. So, I want to put a bench back together and do some of my own work. I took electronics courses in '84 and want to "refresh" that area, in addition to having done lots of repairs over the past 50+ years. I going to buy some pots and components to redo my Mando-Strat and some of my other instruments, so I found the RS site quite inspiring/useful. Thanks

The only ones that come up on Google are in France and Germany, so far. So, my case may be more like 10+ years old.

Here is an Ovation link.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...6C15C=16034650

and an Epiphone in stock for $79
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-mandolin-case

this one I don't know what to think about....?!?!
    http://musicinstruments.cheap-price....31601/border=0

and then there is Elderly Instruments
    http://www.elderly.com/accessories/cats/CSMN.html

These are where I was looking when I went to buy the other cases and "lucked" into mine. Best of luck with your search! I will ask, if they have another one since they have 9 stores.

I am still looking for a case for my 1947 Gibson BR-4 Lap steel........ anyone?
    Michael

I've been emailing Kurt at RondoMusic (Agile and Douglas guitars etc) RE cases and he wondered, if this would work for the MandoStrat.

http://www.rondomusic.com/egc200st34.html
    http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/cases/bgc20034bk3.jpg

Maybe will a bolster/pad on the right side? I don't know if the neck would clear the compartment. It's $55 plus shipping.

Maybe Fender will bring "my" case back, if enough people ask for it. I would still get a '50s-'60s style Fender case, WHEN I find one!
    Michael

Again, I don't work for anyone! These are just links that I saved, as I looked for a case. I'm retired and working on my own songs and instrumentals, having a great time (when I'm not snowblowing!) in my little studio.

Hmm, I just ordered a used Mando Strat / Caster, used for $239.00. Looking foward to playing it. Noting the changes & mods listed here has me thinking about the product listed below as a link

http://www.stellartone.com/Index.asp

I put one of these in a Les Paul Jr type guitar I resurected from the trash. The guitar has a GFS Dream 90 in and the multi steps on the tone styler bring out some great, great tones, far better than the regular, recomended tone pot. Sooooooo I'm thinking maybe this item would also work well on the Mando Strat / Caster ?

Has anybody heard of or tried this tone control on an electric mando?

Gary

Hello forum, I have encountered a problem with my frequent play with my mando-strat. I have a habit of resting the corner of my right hand palm on my solid-body guitars, and this habit has transferred to my fender mando-strat playing position. After some time, this causes the small allen wrench adjustable saddles to move and become unbalanced -> which leads to a saddle buzz when playing.

So...what do you think my options are? Cut down these small saddle bolts to they can be set below the saddle barrels? Different parts? Super Glue? Lock-Tite? I'm not sure what the best way to handle this. Advice needed. Thanks!

EDIT: Just measured the Bridge Height Screws installed on the moongazer bridge, and they are 3/8" long. Allparts is advertising 1/4" ones. But I'm not sure if they will fit. Might need to get some specs from moongazer.

I also play drums.......... the vibrations encountered on a kit and the slamming things get causes screws to back out/ in and all kinds of stuff. I have had success wrapping screws that move with teflon tape, as in the kind you use for PVC plumbing to make the threaded joints tight and leak proof. On drums this approach has worked like a charm.

The screws on the Mando Strat bridge arte pretty darn binsy but it mat work.

Let me know if it does and best of luck

PS

The folks at Tone styler tell me some builders do use their product on electric mandos so what do you know, I had a goode idea

" Yesterdays' Technology............ TODAY "

Gary

You should be able to find shorter exact match screws for that! I did it on my first partsocaster in 1980 and used to keep a bin full of various lengths.

You could cut them from the bottom, also.

Don't know about the Loctite but that could work, I suppose.

Since you have a Moongazer..... email Tom Morici
    - Tom@moongazermusic.com

I'm sure he'll respond and solve it quickly.
    Michael
    Last edited by mcintalker; Feb-01-2014 at 5:25pm. Reason: spelling

Help! I just tried to install an Almuse pickup (single coil MS4 mando-strat upgrade)on a new Fender mandostrat but I am confused about what to connect to the pickup's red signal wire and its ground wire (there is one black cable out of the pickup and at the the end it splits into a red signal wire and bare copper ground wire). In other words, I do not know what they connect to--any photos, descriptions, etc. would help ("hey stupid, connect red wire here, attach or ground copper wire there"). I think I am messing this up . . . .

They might have a wiring diagram in the pdf at Almuse
    http://www.almuse.co.uk/
    Michael

Try this basic schematic

shield = copper
    red =hot or signal

Name:	single pickup schematic.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	113665  

After contacting Tom at Moongazer and getting the correct specs for the bridge height screws (M3 - 10mm), I decided to order a set of M3's that were 6mm in length. I am hopeful that this will solve my problem. I was thinking about using the teflon tape, but I'm not sure how that would work on such a tight thread. Maybe that is a last resort. Also, Tom let me know that this is the first time he heard of this problem, so maybe it's just me. Just a heads up for everyone. Happy Monday!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJe153 View Post
    After contacting Tom at Moongazer and getting the correct specs for the bridge height screws (M3 - 10mm), I decided to order a set of M3's that were 6mm in length. I am hopeful that this will solve my problem. I was thinking about using the teflon tape, but I'm not sure how that would work on such a tight thread. Maybe that is a last resort. Also, Tom let me know that this is the first time he heard of this problem, so maybe it's just me. Just a heads up for everyone. Happy Monday!
    Use a drop of blue Loc-Tite on each set screw as you install the new ones.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Use a drop of blue Loc-Tite on each set screw as you install the new ones.
    Hey Tom, that seems a trifle permanent to me
    My favourite method is to squeeze the screw thread very gently with wire cutters......just enough to deform the thread slightly (obviously on part of the grub screw that coincides with the saddle).

Blog Entries

Anything to make it sticky, you could even use some maple syrup. My understanding is blue Loc-Tite is not permanent, just dries powdery for friction. There are locking nuts with intentionally deformed threads, but the Loc-Tite means you don't risk crunching too much trying to make those set screws behave.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I used a drop of clear fingernail polish to lock the threads.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

for reference....

Michael

Name:	MandoStrat schematic.gif 
Views:	746 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	113727  

Hello all - first post here. I picked up one of these Mandostrats about a year ago when they came out, and I've been having fun with it. I'm a guitar player trying something new here. I had owned an 8 string electric mandolin previously and never really bonded with it, but couldn't resist when I saw these were being reissued. Someday I'll graduate back to an 8-string, but for now, I'm NotReady. I did put compensated brass saddles on it, but that's the only mod I've done.

I noticed a few people asking about cases for these. I stumbled onto this one at a local music store. Brand new, perfect condition. I'm sure it must have come with a Fender acoustic/electric mandolin originally, but they didn't have the matching mandolin, and couldn't tell me which model it was. Paid $80 for it, which was more than I wanted to, but I did it anyway. The Mandostrat fits perfectly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fender Mando-strat in case.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	114679

Name:	Fender Mando-strat case.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	114680

Name:	Fender Mando-strat case closed.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	114681

Well, that fits like a glove! Congratulations.

Hey! Anyone know where I can find a HS case for my '47 Gibson BR4 lap steel? I found a guy who will sell me a new Gold Tone HSLS (for their LS6 and LS8 lap steels). My original chipboard case is beat! and if we move, I want to be confident about it.

Michael

Nice mods. I like the way the colors of the knobs and pickup match. Since the photo is a little dark I couldn't identify the exact color of the knobs. Are these ivory, cream or aged white? Do you mind telling me where I can get those? Thank you!