Thread: Fiddolin ??????

Default Fiddolin ??????

One of the guys at our local Sunday evening jam asked if I knew anything about a fellow by the name of Wayne Jarrolds and his fiddle/mandolin hybrid . I had a deer in the headlights look about myself for a couple seconds as I tried to imagine what this could look like or how it would be constructed. John sent this video to me today. Anyone have any info or explanation ? Jarrolds is a talented fiddle player but I'm guessing he may also be little eccentric . The interesting part is at about 1:30 mark .

2. The following members say thank you to palosfv3 for this post:

Ranald 

Default Re: Fiddolin ??????

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

interestng, but why? all the disadvantaages of a fiddle (friction tuners, tone) with all the disadvantages of a mandolin (lack of sustain.... certainly, I'm not criticising him for doing it: it's a really beautiful instrument... I just wonder what market its for and who's going to use it. (I'm happy to be told this, btw)
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Well, it would be one thing if he were playing the "fiddolin" on the fiddle parts of this video, but he isn't, is he? Or at least, not the same "fiddolin" as he uses for the mandolin part of the vid, if the body shape and apparent build quality is any indication.

Reminds me of the Turturro Turn-Over mandolin-uke, at least the patent does. The mandolin he's playing in the video looks like just a flat-top fiddle-shaped mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando-uke+Turturro+Turnover.JPG 
Views:	399 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	109578

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Well, it would be one thing if he were playing the "fiddolin" on the fiddle parts of this video, but he isn't, is he? Or at least, not the same "fiddolin" as he uses for the mandolin part of the vid, if the body shape and apparent build quality is any indication.

Reminds me of the Turturro Turn-Over mandolin-uke, at least the patent does. The mandolin he's playing in the video looks like just a flat-top fiddle-shaped mandolin.

Well, at 1:34-1:37 you can see him rotate the instrument and both sides are visible. He's playing the same instrument in the entire video.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I have one of those Turturro mando-ukes, it is not very good at being either...however it is way cool.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

8. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Check out the tuning peg arrangements. I guess it works, but there's some mighty kludgery going on in there.

Name:	fiddolin.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	109581

My guess is it's a regular fiddle with the mandolin parts added to the back at a later date, and the mando "hole" just painted on, as in reality it's using the fiddle f holes on the "back".

Looks like fun whatever it is.
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

Thanks for posting, fun to watch but kind of disturbing at the same time. Gonna have nightmares for sure.

--the sound almost makes me think of a blues harp, kind of.

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Tres cool...

(Slightly OT) Actually you can get machine tuners for violins, which are similar to the tuners on upright bass. They run about $50 or so. Check Amazon. I'm a fiddle player and have oft cursed slipping pegs and thought about getting a set of these. (I know there are ways to get pegs from slipping, but these seem a better alternative.)

Name:	violin-machinepegs-addon.JPG 
Views:	846 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	109585

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    (Slightly OT) Actually you can get machine tuners for violins, which are similar to the tuners on upright bass. They run about $50 or so. Check Amazon. I'm a fiddle player and have oft cursed slipping pegs and thought about getting a set of these. (I know there are ways to get pegs from slipping, but these seem a better alternative.)

I highly recommend the Knilling Perfection pegs, they look and work great! FYI they DO come in different sized and a couple of styles, here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/Knilling-Perfe.../dp/B002Q0WSMK

I had Perfection pegs installed on one of my fiddles. Makes playing in cross tuning much easier. I think Knilling took over the violin side from Pegheds -- I believe it is the same design. Originally I wanted wooden pegs but the shafts for those only come in one size and the plastic ones have a wider range.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I did this to my violin. Worked great! The shaft ends of the tuner you may have to trim off going trough the peghead. They might stick out a little to far. The only downfall is, they are a little heavy so you will feel it compared to the friction pegs which are light. Also the tuner pegs might touch the bottom of your case

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post

It's a little bit mad science-y and I can respect that. We're all of us a little bit outside the mainstream, or we wouldn't be here. That said, I can't see that there's a wild clamor for a Franken-fiddle like this. Nice playing though.

As a fiddler and mandolin player, the fiddolin looks practical for me, especially for playing a song. It's not easy to sing when fiddling, but a person could sing while playing mando, then enhance the song with fiddle. That being said, I haven't ordered one.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    ...The mandolin he's playing in the video looks like just a flat-top fiddle-shaped mandolin.

I was thinking the same thing.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.