Thread: New technology sucks when

Default New technology sucks when

When you have a great TV, DVD, Bluray player and Netflix all in your shop. Your trying to cut a binding groove, you have your glasses off because your eyesight ain't what it once was and because it's a great Blu-ray you keep putting on and taking off the glasses to glance at the tv. You then hit the rewind a billion times in a 1 1/2 hour movie and when your done promise yourself that you will watch it one night in bed as your falling asleep....I guess movies are a young mans pleasure now.

Default Re: New technology sucks when

I kept myself SERIOUS by buying a real across-the-lens set of bifocals with the lower part set up to about 12" perfect focus, and the upper for 36". I also have a clip-on 2x magnifier that can be dropped into position.

That way I can walk through any area by sighting above the glasses and still tell the APPLE rep the serai number of my iPod,

'One job at a time' Keith. There was once a time when i could have taken a banjo apart for re-furbishment, put it back together & cooked myself a 3 course meal at the same time - not any more !. At age 70 (next Jan.),i can't concentrate on anything at all with 'noise' going on,it's far too much of a distraction. 'Silence' is truly golden !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have to concentrate totally on any repair or set-up that I'm doing... I'm too easily distracted by music or other diversions going on in the background!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Some say they can tell by the taste of restaurant food if the cook is having an unhappy love affair. You don't want your customers to tell by the quality of your mandolins which movie you were trying to watch
    Concentration is the key to having a life; trying to do two things at once means doing none of them.
    Last edited by Bertram Henze; Nov-17-2013 at 9:26am.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

My wife and I decided that to get anything creative (or even necessary) done we had to simplify our lives.... So out went the TV. It has been about 12 years now and we haven't missed it at all... Our grandkids, who live with us, are not even aware that TV exists....

We haven't even watched a movie in several years.... No time for that... too busy pursueing our interests, playing mandolin, banjo, building minstral banjos and repairing old instruments. Although we have our problems, we have never been more productive and happier.

I make plenty of mistakes too.... even without TV.
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    So out went the TV. It has been about 12 years now and we haven't missed it at all...
    That's about the same with us - last thing I remember watching on TV was the horrible events of 9/11/01. Previously all I ever used TV for was the occasional movie. My husband is more of a movie-holic than I, though, so he has a Netflix subscription.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I just typed a whole big thing and was angry...I deleted it and took a breath. Not to name any names but when a builder is trying to get a reputation and posts something light hearted because he LOVES the mandolincafe and somebody implies they (builder) can't do a good job because the responder can't multitask so projects that flaw onto the originator of the thread then people get the wrong idea. It may not even be something active but back in the mind like "hey Keith is a distracted builder who does not even care about a customer". The "wink" is a stupid part of the post and because someone has many thousands of posts does not make them any better or smarter than our new fine members with a couple posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Newell View Post
    I just typed a whole big thing and was angry...I deleted it and took a breath. Not to name any names but when a builder is trying to get a reputation and posts something light hearted because he LOVES the mandolincafe and somebody implies they (builder) can't do a good job because the responder can't multitask so projects that flaw onto the originator of the thread then people get the wrong idea. It may not even be something active but back in the mind like "hey Keith is a distracted builder who does not even care about a customer". The "wink" is a stupid part of the post and because someone has many thousands of posts does not make them any better or smarter than our new fine members with a couple posts.
    Take a deep breath.

Keith - I think that all the posts after yours were saying in one way or another - 'neither can we',not the other way around,mine certainly meant that. I once read a very disparaging remark about one US President.Somebody said that he 'couldn't walk & chew gum at the same time'. I thought the remark to be in very bad taste indeed,but i'm afraid i'm getting their myself. My trouble is that i can't even find the gum !.
    There are many,many skills that i wish i had myself & luthery,because on my interest in the instruments is one of them. If i were a builder,i couldn't stand any form of distraction. These days,even putting on new strings demands my full attention & off goes any music. More often than not,i replace my strings upstairs with the mandolin on the bed so that i can't knock it onto the floor - at least not so easily,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Pleading guilty. Maybe my comment was too lighthearted.

But if we have to have a serious angle in the topic, it is what Ivan hinted at: in a workshop with sharp tools around and machines running, any form of distraction becomes a menace.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

14. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Naughty Bertram - Please go & stand in the corner !!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

16. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

But if we have to have a serious angle in the topic, it is what Ivan hinted at: in a workshop with sharp tools around and machines running, any form of distraction becomes a menace.
    My thoughts as well. I used to work in a laboratory with ultra sharp knives and dangerous chemicals so developed a habit of undistracted working early in my life. But we're all different and I know music in the background helps some people to concentrate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Concentration is the key to having ...
    ... ten fingers.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Blog Entries

I didn't take it that way, Keith. I understand your sensitivity, but I think the people who read this forum are all constantly learning and relearning the same lessons. What you wrote was a good illustration of a problem for all of us. You're lightyears ahead of me, and it gives me some comfort that you, too, sometimes get distracted. And have trouble with your bifocals. Glad you're human.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

From belbein - " And have trouble with your bifocals...". My spectacles are perfect,it's my eyes that's c**p !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I love the fiddle music in the back ground,(Ernie Carpenter usually), its the dang phone ringing that kills my concentration. My parents live close by and are elderly so I have to check the call. Ten minutes later I remember where I was. I'll give another vote for keeping all the fingers. I've already got a left pinky that I can't bend the last joint due to a knife cut in the ninth grade. No 4 finger chop cords for David.
    Last edited by David Houchens; Nov-21-2013 at 7:06am. Reason: slow thinking

Keith, you're a better man than I, you can build instruments. I'd like to try this some day, but, until then I'll just play. Try not to get discouraged by otehr people. If you enjoy what you do, what's the problem?

I don't have a tv or even a radio in the shop. I get distracted to easy. I have a laptop that I keep stored away for when I need to look up something important. If i'm doing a repair and run into a problem the internet is great help sometimes for that....Mike

Heck, I don't even have a shop!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett