Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stefan Sobell mandolins and other instruments

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stefan Sobell mandolins and other instruments

Congratulations! Does it sound as good as it looks? With a Sobell, perhaps even better?

2. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

Looks great.

Cedar top, I would say? That's what mine both have, with rosewood.
    David A. Gordon

4. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    Congratulations! Does it sound as good as it looks? With a Sobell, perhaps even better?
    Hi,

Yes, first impressions of the sound have been very good. The condition was pristine, which always make me nervous on a 30 year old instrument, worrying that the previous owners had been disappointed with the instrument after purchase. When I cleaned it and changed the strings the only fret wear was minimal on frets 2-5 on the A and E strings.

The previous owner had bought it in 2007 and not really played it since. He was a bluegrass guy, so did not suit that type of music. I’m a big fan of the type of music cafe member David Hansen plays on YouTube and song of the week (OCarolan, etc), so should suit that.

Do you think I’m correct with my logic of the neck block stamp being the date rather than the serial number?

Regards,

6. The following members say thank you to mandrian for this post:

The best version Of Sobell bouzoukis in Asturian music is by members of the band Felpeyu. Sadly Igor a principal founder of the group died in a car accident while travelling to a gig. His playing and music lives on their recorded music. Fantastic rhythm and articulation characterises his playing. I listen to their music most of the time in my car in Spain.

Not the best video but you get the idea of Igor’s playing. Thanks
    Nic Gellie

A 10 string mandolin and an octave mandolin by Stefan from the 80's. My son Colin is playing with me.

David A. Gordon

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Thought I'd stick in a cut of my band Innisfree where I'm playing a relatively short-neck (20.25") Sobell, from the early 1980's, that was traded in by Martin Simpson when he lived for a while in Ithaca NY. Simpson went to Stutzman's here in Rochester to trade the Sobell in on a Gibson mandolin, which he intended to take back to England and sell at a profit, then buy another instrument from Sobell. The trade-in price he got disappointed him, so he decided not to trade in the case, but take that back and have Sobell make another instrument to fit it! Simpson had strung it as an octave mandolin, I believe, but I put .010/.018w/.030w/.046w strings on it and tuned it CGDA as a mandola, where it's stayed ever since.

This was 1985-86 or so. Interestingly enough, after I'd had Harptone build a case for it, I got a call from Simpson, offering to sell me the case he'd kept, but I wasn't in the market by that time.

This MP3 was recorded a few years ago, "live" off the board at a concert, with really sketchy seat-of-the-pants mixing, so apologies in advance. It does showcase the Sobell's sound, and the way I use it for harmonies, chording, and counter-melodies. Personnel are Mark Deprez on mandolin-banjo, Barbara Jablonski on hammered dulcimer, Kathleen Cappon on 12-string guitar, and myself on the Sobell.

Jig medley: Irish Washerwoman/Swallowtail Jig/Saddle the Pony

By the way, I think I bought the Sobell for $600 or so, less than a week after Simpson traded it in. Dave Stutzman had it in the showroom, said to me, "I don't know what to do with it -- I don't know that there are many buyers for something like that." (Remember, this was 35 years ago.) I was playing a restored-but-rickety 1890's Washburn bowl-back mandola in Thistledown, a Scottish/Celtic band, at the time; I played the Sobell for about 30 seconds, and said, "I'll take it!" I'd never heard of Stefan Sobell at that time, but the sound and crafts-person-ship were immediately apparent.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Here is my 10-string Cittern (alpine spruce / east indian rosewood) from 1989 on two youtube clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZw5mK0BAEI&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIVb9cKqiq4
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

12. The following members say thank you to mando-bob for this post:

Hi guys, I'm helping to sell a collection of instruments for a friends estate and there is a Stefan Sobel 5 string Banjola in the collection and I'm trying to determine what to ask for it. I know his guitars are well thought of and expensive. I'm just looking for advice on pricing. Stefan said it was his first (he only built 4 or 5 of them). It's in excellent condition. I'll try to add a photo. Thanks for any advice.
    ED

Hi guys, I'm in need of some advice on pricing a Stefan Sobel Banjola. This belonged to a friend who passed away a few years ago and I'm helping his estate sell his collection. I was in touch with Stefan and he said it was probably the first one he made in the early 90's. It's made Indian rosewood back and sides, German spruce soundboard, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard and bridge. I know his instruments are pricy and I'm just helping out my friends partner. Any ideas on pricing this very unusual instrument would be appreciated. Happy to take reasonable offers on it as well. Can send photos.
    ED

I would help you if I could, but on this one I'm afraid I've no idea. Sorry.
    David A. Gordon

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Kevin has one over at MandoMutt:

http://www.mandomutt.com/products-pa...obell-mandolin

Can anyone tell by eyeball test whether it’s a small or large body?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I think small but I am not sure. Mine is one of the older ones which were all large. Wow, a 1 5/8" nut!?!?! Mine is 1 3/8" and it always strikes people are huge. Definitely made for a guitar player!
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liestman View Post
    I think small but I am not sure. Mine is one of the older ones which were all large. Wow, a 1 5/8" nut!?!?! Mine is 1 3/8" and it always strikes people are huge. Definitely made for a guitar player!
    Missy confirmed that it’s the 11.4” small body. I did not ask for verification of the nut width.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

A nice recent video about Stefan.

"Go with the magic"!

David A. Gordon

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Very nice.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

My new Sobell Mandolin built by Stefan and Colin Keefe which I collected yesterday (18th March). Also a photo with the refurbished 1987 Sobell cittern I collected from Stefan last year. The mandolin looks and sounds superb. Colin moved up to County Durham in 2021 so they can work together on mandolin family instruments.He is an excellent Luthier in his own right. (I also tried one of Colins demonstration guitars). Colin told me that he attended a London college for 4 years studying musical instrument making, finishing the course about 30 years ago. He was there at the same time as Paul Shippey who also makes excellent instruments. (I also have a Shippey 10 string mandolin). Good to see that Sobell mandolin family instruments are being built again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05632ED3-48C4-484F-A33E-E54B9946636E.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	446.8 KB 
ID:	200131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C7889A7B-CFC3-424E-AEAB-097E35526831.jpeg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	200130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1456AEE1-4827-4771-B687-D649A955D6BF.jpeg 
Views:	119 
Size:	451.6 KB 
ID:	200132  

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KenD For This Useful Post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by KenD View Post
    My new Sobell Mandolin built by Stefan and Colin Keefe which I collected yesterday (18th March). Also a photo with the refurbished 1987 Sobell cittern I collected from Stefan last year. The mandolin looks and sounds superb. Colin moved up to County Durham in 2021 so they can work together on mandolin family instruments.He is an excellent Luthier in his own right. (I also tried one of Colins demonstration guitars). Colin told me that he attended a London college for 4 years studying musical instrument making, finishing the course about 30 years ago. He was there at the same time as Paul Shippey who also makes excellent instruments. (I also have a Shippey 10 string mandolin). Good to see that Sobell mandolin family instruments are being built again.
    I would really like t hear his new mandolins! Any chance you could post a sound clip or mp3?

Man, I need to not look at these threads about Sobbell mando's. I'm going to have spend a few days telling myself things like 'it wont make me a better player'/'there's no substitute for practice' and so on.
    A mandolin

I have a great five course and would like to narrow down the build date as best I can. Way back earlier in this thread it was stated,
    "So all instruments with an Old School Label and a Slaley 338 telephone number were built in 1980 or very early 1981."
    Well mine complies with all this, the phone number338, but also has another number 567. Does that mean it was also built in either 1980 or 81?

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Bryant View Post
    I have a great five course and would like to narrow down the build date as best I can. Way back earlier in this thread it was stated,
    "So all instruments with an Old School Label and a Slaley 338 telephone number were built in 1980 or very early 1981."
    Well mine complies with all this, the phone number338, but also has another number 567. Does that mean it was also built in either 1980 or 81?
    Hi,

I’m no expert, but my mandolin has 2591 stamped on the endblock and the label as shown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF958281-F3AD-4A5E-8725-3DC3CF156CDC.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	616.0 KB 
ID:	206449

I believe from the endblock number this means it was from 1991. Visual comparisons seem to confirm this. Have no real knowledge about label usage.

Check your endblock you might find a serial number there. Enjoy your instrument!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
    I would really like t hear his new mandolins! Any chance you could post a sound clip or mp3?
    I'll give it a try. I'm not sure what the sound quality will be like but I'll see what I can do.