Thread: Vintage Gibson Mandolin Cases

Default Vintage Gibson Mandolin Cases

Hello,
    I have a 1925 Ajr mandolin that did not come with a case. I would like to eventually get an original case for it. I see cases on Ebay from time to time, but dont know how to date them. I see purple, green and yellowish lined cases. Is there any certain color for model or year?
    Thanks

Default Re: Vintage Gibson Mandolin Cases

That's interesting. I never thought about the case lining color corresponding to a year. I had a 1924 Gibson A Snakehead and the case had a green lining.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

My '20 'A'... Purple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocrity View Post
    Hello,
    I have a 1925 Ajr mandolin that did not come with a case. I would like to eventually get an original case for it. I see cases on Ebay from time to time, but dont know how to date them. I see purple, green and yellowish lined cases. Is there any certain color for model or year?
    Thanks
    1925 serials (>81xxx by the "old" accounting) usually came with a lime green case lining in a sort of flannel.. or a lime green loar fabric color in silk. Unfortunately they are also the most sought after ones..

It looks like purple flannel or red silk were in use from about 1910-1920.. then around 1920 you see light green flannel (that goes slightly yellow) or dark green silk.. then after 1925 or so it changes to lime green flannel or lime green silk.

the flannel and silk were separate catalog items, usually the "better silk" would go with an A4 or so.. you could also get a canvas/chipboard-like case from 1910-1930, or a Loar-style case but shorter for your F2/F4. Finally- there was a leather tooled case avaialble in the early years, roughly 1902-1910 for the 3pts and A-models.

Very few of those canvas or leather ones made it to current times in good shape
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    1925 serials (>81xxx by the "old" accounting) usually came with a lime green case lining in a sort of flannel.. or a lime green loar fabric color in silk. Unfortunately they are also the most sought after ones..

It looks like purple flannel or red silk were in use from about 1910-1920.. then around 1920 you see light green flannel (that goes slightly yellow) or dark green silk.. then after 1925 or so it changes to lime green flannel or lime green silk.

the flannel and silk were separate catalog items, usually the "better silk" would go with an A4 or so.. you could also get a canvas/chipboard-like case from 1910-1930, or a Loar-style case but shorter for your F2/F4. Finally- there was a leather tooled case avaialble in the early years, roughly 1902-1910 for the 3pts and A-models.

Very few of those canvas or leather ones made it to current times in good shape

Wow very helpful info. Thank You
    By the old way of counting, mine would be a 1924. Which would be light green if I am understanding it correctly?

I think I am going to go to the old way of dating mandos for now. Was looking at Spanns Guide tonight and Im going to need a little more proof then page 44. That was the best example to print? (which I dont see January any where on invoice, I see June 10 1930 twice.) But thats a whole different subject I spose. Still a very cool book as far as history.

Assorted colors of A cases
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 colors.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	109317  

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustyamps For This Useful Post:

I don't know how to date them. (cases) I see purple, green and yellowish lined cases. Is there any certain color for model or year?
    Frankly, your A jr. probably came originally with a canvas case that fell apart long ago. If you can find a vintage hard case that's anywhere close to the right era it will be a great addition, and you should not worry too much whether it is an exact original style case.

Gibson cases before 1920 were primarily by M&W (Maulbetsch & Whittemore). After 1920 they were mostly by G&S (Geib & Schaeffer). The earlier cases are not always trademarked, but by the early 1920's you should find a G&S stamp on the bottom. It's hard to tie particular colors to a particular year. There were always 3 or 4 quality levels of lining such as: flannel, velveteen, and 1 or 2 qualities of plush. And there always seemed to be multiple colors available. Purple flannel and red plush seemed to be popular colors in every era. Some of the teens cases had corduroy lining, which ceased to be used later. When G&S became the prime supplier to Gibson in the early 1920's they started using a rich green plush in addition to red plush on their highest quality Masterkraft cases.

If you're interested in learning more about the history of these cases check out the Vintage Case website: http://www.stevekirtley.org/vintagecases.htm and Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...strumentcases/

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Loudloar View Post
    Frankly, your A jr. probably came originally with a canvas case that fell apart long ago. If you can find a vintage hard case that's anywhere close to the right era it will be a great addition, and you should not worry too much whether it is an exact original style case.

Gibson cases before 1920 were primarily by M&W (Maulbetsch & Whittemore). After 1920 they were mostly by G&S (Geib & Schaeffer). The earlier cases are not always trademarked, but by the early 1920's you should find a G&S stamp on the bottom. It's hard to tie particular colors to a particular year. There were always 3 or 4 quality levels of lining such as: flannel, velveteen, and 1 or 2 qualities of plush. And there always seemed to be multiple colors available. Purple flannel and red plush seemed to be popular colors in every era. Some of the teens cases had corduroy lining, which ceased to be used later. When G&S became the prime supplier to Gibson in the early 1920's they started using a rich green plush in addition to red plush on their highest quality Masterkraft cases.

If you're interested in learning more about the history of these cases check out the Vintage Case website: http://www.stevekirtley.org/vintagecases.htm and Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...strumentcases/

Steve
    Wow, that is awesome. Never knew such a site existed. Thanks

Anyone have a picture of the correct key for the case for my 1915 A4?

There was a thread not long ago about this. They are easy to make. If you do a search it should come up.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1939Dodge View Post
    Anyone have a picture of the correct key for the case for my 1915 A4?
    It probably looks like this. I posted this same image on your Facebook post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	907.4 KB 
ID:	183161  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Steve Kirtley has a whole site devoted to vintage instrument cases.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Steve Kirtley has a whole site devoted to vintage instrument cases.
    And a Facebook group devoted to discussion of vintage instrument cases: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...strumentcases/

Steve

Smile Anecdote, Re: Vintage Gibson Mandolin Cases

One I got after the fact for 1 22 A is too small, thin in depth, for a tone-gard,

the one that stayed with the other , A4 is deeper and I can leave the tone-gard on.

both are green lined.. FWYW..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture