Thread: Fender vs Ibanez (First Mandolin)

Default Fender vs Ibanez (First Mandolin)

Hi Guys

Im new to this forum would like to ask your advice.

I am really interested in taking up the Mandolin.

I have read many threads on this forum and have picked up, among a few other things, that even great mandolins are terrible if not set up correctly, generally solid wood is much better than laminate, A-style is better value for money for a learner than F-style, and that Kentucky are probably the best choice for a entry level mandolin.

The only problem I have is that I live in South Africa and thus am very limited in my choice for an instrument. (no1 here even knows what Kentucky is, let alone are willing to get one for me)

So I've narrowed down my options to 2 choices, the Fender FM-53s and the Ibanez M522s, these being the only 2 available in my price range that have solid spruce tops, the only other instruments available being plywood Corts and Johnson Savannas.

Another problem is that no matter which mandolin I get, the stores will have to order it specifically for me, and there is no return policy for mere unhappyness, only warranties for factory faults.

Buying from abroad and importing myself is also unfortunately not an option.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had any experience with these 2 Mandolins or Brands.

There is a video on Youtube of the Fender, the guy mentions that it won some kind of award in 2011 (Im not sure if Im allowed to post the link, if I am, I will), I have also seen in one of these threads that some1 had a bad run in with things breaking off his Ibanez after a few months. So that might already be swinging my vote into the direction of the Fender, unless someone can convince me differently.

Sorry for the unnecessarily long post.

Thanx in advanced.

Default Re: Fender vs Ibanez (First Mandolin)

Gsouth-
    The Fender acoustic mandolins have garnered very little favorable comment here generally due to low volume and thin tone. Alvarez mandolins from the 1960's 70.s or 80's occasionally are said to be pretty good. Modern Alvarez mandolins I have played only a few. Not much to favorably comment on there. But not terrible. If you are going with one of these for your initial instrument, be assured that barring manufacturing defects, either brand can be professionally set-up to allow you to learn and enjoy the instrument. It will sound like a mandolin. I play a laminate topped starter mandolin and still enjoy it after several years. Wish I had looked a bit further though. Check out posts from another South Africa forum member Vanillamandolin. Maybe she can tell you what was involved in getting her instruments. Enjoy the hunt!

Scott

I am also new to the forum and have been researching and asking a lot of questions. I seem to be getting some positive feedback on Kentucky and Eastman mandolins which are made in Asia as well as Breedlove which are American made but also start around $1,000.00. I also got some not so good feed back on Gretsch, Fender and Tacoma. I tried a few Kentucky's out in my local shop the other day and they all sounded great; bright and loud while the Gretsch I tried did not, it was kind of dull sounding and not very loud. Hope that helps.

I guess I will go against popular opinion here, and say that I have played a few of the solid-spruce-top Fenders, and find that they are perfectly reasonable instruments.

Intonation was good to excellent, and the action was also excellent (both after a good set-up). The sound was acceptable, and with a bit of practice at finding the sweet-spot, can be really nice.

Do they sound as nice as a 1500 dollar instrument? No. But they dont cost 1500 dollars, either. As an instrument to start with, they will not disappoint. If you find you love mandolin (hey, who doesn't?) you will likely want to upgrade. My guess is that you will be able to sell the Fender for at least half of what you paid-- maybe more-- meaning you can get a few years, minimum, of playing for an out-of-pocket cost of maybe 200 dollars.

Frankly, I have seen a lot of questions like the OP's that quickly move to the "If you can spare an additional $1.5K, what you REALLY need is...." responses. The OP is talking about entry-level, in a hard-to-shop market. "Let them eat cake" is not a truly useful response.

Good luck, Gsouth.

j.

5. The following members say thank you to jshane for this post:

This is the video the OP refers to:

One of my students plays one of these instruments. I think the video is an accurate reproduction of how the Fender mandolin sounds when strung with new strings and played by someone with good technique. Our local music store presently stocks Ibanez mandolins but in the past stocked Fenders. As for as tone I don't hear a lot of difference in the two brands. It is important that the dealer you buy from, honors the manufacturer's warranty because occasionally these instruments have some serious defects and should be returned for a replacement.

Blog Entries

You could try having a word with these guys, in Johannesburg:

http://allbang354.wix.com/ronniesall...mit#!__guitars

I know they do have used mandolins sometimes. Certainly worth talking to, I'd think. One of the few vintage instrument dealers in your location.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Fender was my first mandolin and I still pick it once in a while. I had bridge issues so when I had that fixed I had a good set up done and that made it much more playable. As everyone states set up is key.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

Thanx for the replies guys, glad that you were able to notice and understand my predicament(JShane), and thanx for posting the vid(HouseWorker).

Ive read some more very bad reviews regarding the Ibanez, including frets that were loose, inconsistent heights, and in one case not even spaced correctly for the correct notes.
    I have been finding it very difficult to find reviews on the Fender(that might be because no1 buys it or because no one feels its worth reviewing), but Im glad atleast 3 people here seem to think its a fair instrument.

I have been doing a little more research regarding importing as well, I found an Eastman MD305, but with professional setup, shipping costs and import tax, it would cost more than double the price of the fender(the equivalent of about $700 to the Fenders $290).

Do you guys think the Eastman is worth more than double the price of the Fender, regarding the quality of tone and workmanship? Do you think its worth $700 Keeping in mind I am only a beginner.

It is unfortunately the only instrument I have found so far that I would be able to import, no sign of a Kentucky or Loar yet.

What I love about the Eastman is the Lifetime Warranty, but the really bad part is actually attempting to make use of that, as shipping it back and forth would almost be the price of a new one.

To be completely honest, it is actually way over my budget (but it just looks so gorgeous), id have to make a little loan, but if you guys think it is really worth the money, trouble and effort, I might have to make a plan.

Thanx again guys.
    I appreciate all the feedback.

Not to throw a wrench into things.... but:

Ya know-- there is another way to go, here.

Rob Meldrum has a great video on youtube that walks you through setting up a Rogue mandolin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3G3QZOSyPI

He also has an E-book that is a great aid in setting up a mandolin (search the Forum for how to get this).

You can get a Rogue online for about 60 dollars (US). Search "Rogue mandolin". Sometimes, when they are on sale, you get the instrument, a gigbag, a tuner, etc for 60 bucks. Search "Rogue learn the mandolin package".

These are cheap, acceptable instruments, and you get the satisfaction and knowledge of the physical instrument that comes with actually DOING a setup on an instrument that you cant really hurt.

Worth considering, in my opinion

j.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsouth View Post
    Thanx for the replies guys, glad that you were able to notice and understand my predicament(JShane), and thanx for posting the vid(HouseWorker).

Ive read some more very bad reviews regarding the Ibanez, including frets that were loose, inconsistent heights, and in one case not even spaced correctly for the correct notes.
    I have been finding it very difficult to find reviews on the Fender(that might be because no1 buys it or because no one feels its worth reviewing), but Im glad atleast 3 people here seem to think its a fair instrument.

I have been doing a little more research regarding importing as well, I found an Eastman MD305, but with professional setup, shipping costs and import tax, it would cost more than double the price of the fender(the equivalent of about $700 to the Fenders $290).

Do you guys think the Eastman is worth more than double the price of the Fender, regarding the quality of tone and workmanship? Do you think its worth $700 Keeping in mind I am only a beginner.

It is unfortunately the only instrument I have found so far that I would be able to import, no sign of a Kentucky or Loar yet.

What I love about the Eastman is the Lifetime Warranty, but the really bad part is actually attempting to make use of that, as shipping it back and forth would almost be the price of a new one.

To be completely honest, it is actually way over my budget (but it just looks so gorgeous), id have to make a little loan, but if you guys think it is really worth the money, trouble and effort, I might have to make a plan.

Thanx again guys.
    I appreciate all the feedback.
    If you can swing the additional cost for the Eastman it is the way to go IMO. It will be far superior in build quality, sound and playability (assuming it is properly set up), and will be an instrument you'll be happy to keep for a lot longer than either the Fender or the Ibanez. Good luck.

Thanx Jshane, thats actually a very good idea!!!

Ive emailed Rob Meldrum (like other posts in this forum have suggested) but I havnt received any reply...

Since there are also no Rogue Mandolins available here in South Africa, do yo think this setup technique will work just as well on a Savannah or a Venson?

I can pick up one of those for about $150 equivalent, and then save up for the $700 Eastman for in a year or so. I think that will work alot better for me than going with a $400 Fender that ill want to upgrade in a years time anyway.

I am pretty technically inclined and am pretty good with my hands so I should be able to manage.

Thanx again.

Using techniques much the same as Robs I have setup several savannah and similar quality Mandolins and they have been playable instruments when done. Some Savannahs have required substantial fret leveling and/or alot of wood had to be removed from the bottom of the bridge to get the action low enough to play and intonate. If you have more time than Money ( as I do) this is a good way to go. I use an instrument of this quality as my travel Mandolin ( It's a Bestler) and after years of tweaking it has Great action and Intonation. It is quiet and it's tone is only ok, but I play it alot and it has given me great pleasure playing it in hotel rooms, airports and by campfires all over the world
    Jim Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Using techniques much the same as Robs I have setup several savannah and similar quality Mandolins and they have been playable instruments when done. Some Savannahs have required substantial fret leveling and/or alot of wood had to be removed from the bottom of the bridge to get the action low enough to play and intonate. If you have more time than Money ( as I do) this is a good way to go. I use an instrument of this quality as my travel Mandolin ( It's a Bestler) and after years of tweaking it has Great action and Intonation. It is quiet and it's tone is only ok, but I play it alot and it has given me great pleasure playing it in hotel rooms, airports and by campfires all over the world
    Brilliant!!!

I think this might be the way to go then.

Ill be sure to see if I can find a cheap mandolin that at least has frets that are already level and spaced correctly, as I think that will be the most difficult to fix. Maneuvering the bridge for intonation and adjusting the height of it and the nut will be a little easier I think.

I would love to have a travel mandolin as I am on the road and at the university quite a lot. (I study architecture, so I spend very little time at home, and even less time sleeping, now I think of it)

I think, as Jim mentioned, a low quality and affordable instrument like this will be great for learning how to play, playing while traveling, and practicing my skills while I am saving money for the Eastman.

Rob has sent me the eBook, and it is excellent, very descriptive and easy to understand.

Thanx again guys