Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Line Lessons

Default Re: On Line Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    The Matt Flinner class is intended for all levels. Ask him about the next session. He is quite approachable.

Larry
    s

Larry, I just signed up for Matt Flinner's on-line class. I contacted him (you were correct in that he is "quite approachable" and seemingly quite the gentleman!)). For those interested he has made some changes to the posted time frames (for the Saturday sessions). Also, he informed me that it is not "expected" (just encouraged) that one attend all sessions. Some of the mid-morning Saturday sessions were a problem for me. The lessons will be made available on-line to all participants within a few hours of the conclusion of each lesson. Wish me luck. I need "structured" ( and accountable) learning to make progress at this time.
    Grady F5 (#65)
    Harmony A Model ("The Scorcher")

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dubblestop View Post
    s

Larry, I just signed up for Matt Flinner's on-line class. I contacted him (you were correct in that he is "quite approachable" and seemingly quite the gentleman!)). For those interested he has made some changes to the posted time frames (for the Saturday sessions). Also, he informed me that it is not "expected" (just encouraged) that one attend all sessions. Some of the mid-morning Saturday sessions were a problem for me. The lessons will be made available on-line to all participants within a few hours of the conclusion of each lesson. Wish me luck. I need "structured" ( and accountable) learning to make progress at this time.
    Very cool!

Matt just put this video together to help explain the process:

Larry

NFI, but my name (as a student) is mentioned.

As i am not to keen on the skype or on line method of learning I have decided to go with the Progressive Mandolin book by Peter GFelling. It seems to cover all the basics with notation and tab however I am trying to stick with notation using tab as a backup if I need it. Also using Mel Bay's Mandolin Chords and Traditional Southern Italian Mando & Fiddle Tunes which is a little more involved but also presents some great Italian/Classical techniques - I hope to use more of it after I get through the Progressive Mandolin book. I have covered all the strings, notes, up and down strokes etc. so far and it's going pretty good. I think I've timed ,my tremolo to four down and up strokes per quarter note. Not sure what that translates to?

I have several Skype students. As a brazilian mandolinist I teach the theory, the classic stuff and, of course, brazilian music.
    If someone is interested just drop a line. I offer a free trial class.

Blog Entries

I signed up for a year of Mike Marshall lessons on the Artistworks site. They come highly recommended although I would back it up with some music theory with an emphasis on mandolin...the book "Mandolin for Dummies" would be a great start.
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

If the first on-line lesson was any indication of what is to come I (and the other 37 participants) am in for a real treat. Matt Flinner's "Bluegrass Mandolin 101: Tunes, Technique and Improvisation" class (first of 16 sessions) was better than expected (actually I had no idea what to expect!). The one-hour (actually 80 minutes) interactive lesson was extremely well organized, the printed (PDF format) materials were clear and helpful, and Matt stayed on track to cover everything promised. Not sure if it its too late to join (probably not) but it seems if one is looking to go from Basic to Intermedaite level mandolin playing skills this may be the course to choose. Plus, the cost per lesson ($13 or so) is cheaper than my local teacher (and twice as long!).
    Grady F5 (#65)
    Harmony A Model ("The Scorcher")

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)