Thread: Really really easy scale practice

Default Really really easy scale practice

Hi! I am brand new 48 hours new learning the Mandolin. Any suggestions of where to look (internet) for a really easy scale practicing sheet?

Thank you!

Carol

Blog Entries

Default Re: Really really easy scale practice

Hi there
    Welcome to the world of the andolin. Scale sheets I am not sure, but starting on the open strings g d a e I play the notes of the keys.

However, I think there are quite a few good sheets and exercises. Some scales to be found at jazz mando, also looking at the website of Pete Martin.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

You don't actually need a music sheet or tab to play scales, use the intervals:
    http://library.thinkquest.org/15413/.../intervals.htm
    So in this way, wherever you start, in whatever position on the fret board you'll always play a scale correctly, whether minor or major.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Welcome to the forum!

If I could start from scratch again, I would start my scales with the FFcP from jazzmando:
    http://jazzmando.com/ffcp_studies.shtml

This way I would have avoided learning wrong/inefficient technique.

All the FFcP practise sheets start with simple scales and end up more complex. So for the beginning you can keep it simple. But do yourself a favour and use your pinky right from the start. I didn't and had to learn that later the hard way. I am still not through.

Registered User Mike Sutterfield's Avatar

www.Banjobenclark.com Easy mando lessons!

Thank you. Thank you! Vanillamandolin, this is exactly where I need to start. Single note scale practice and I found it on line! I am absolutely starting from scratch learning the Mandolin. I appreciate all of your responses and I have clicked on each of your links to see what you provided. This is such a great learning environment. Although sometimes I get down as this is so overwhelming, so much to learn, I love my Mandolin and the sounds it makes. I remind myself to take it slow slow slow and practice each new thing until it becomes "natural" and stop being so bloody hard on myself!

Again, thank you.

Carol

Hi Carol...and welcome . I would echo what Vanillamandolin said about scales .Its pretty straightforward to practice scales by just starting at a comfortable pace that allows you to 'hear ' the note in your head before you play it and by learning to fret cleanly as you build up speed. I think a well-rounded player , no matter the instrument , should develop his/her ear and playing scales this way will help in that regard .Once you have a handle on playing each scale in a linear fashion ( do-re-me-fa etc.. ) challenge yourself by playing them top to bottom , playing every OTHER note in the scale , playing them higher on the neck without using any open strings . Then , of course ,when you are feeling confident about your grasp of scales , play along with a favourite song , using your new-found knowledge to improvise a solo . I played guitar my entire professional life and took up mandolin several years ago . Due to the difference in tuning of the mandolin ,becoming proficient at scales has been a challenge and I practice daily for up to 2 hours when time allows . I love what you said about being inspired by just the sound and tone of the mandolin .Best of luck ....hang in . It gets easier and LOTS more fun . And stay 'tuned in' to the Cafe for tons of inspiration , information, and insight .

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Once you have a handle ... challenge yourself by playing them top to bottom ... every OTHER note ... higher on the neck ...
    What helped me a lot early on was sort of "dancing" the scale up and down in triplets. In the key of C, for example, that would be C D E, D E F, E F G, F G A, G A B, A B C, B C D, and then (after that seemingly asymmetrical 21 beats) some sort of up & down flourish to end it on the home note of C, maybe something like C D B, C.

Then do it going down the scale. Then up and back down again as one long phrase. Down and then up. Then eyes closed...

Add a few other keys, noting that most beginner-level mandolin music is in C, A, G, or D. (If you're into rock, E is a real common key but not so "open-string beginner-friendly" on mandolin).

Eventually, DO try singing the names of the notes as you play them. That attacks your intellect from several angles, making it pretty hard to hide (and REALLY helped a marginal singer like me get on key with some degree of consistency!).

None of these are really techinically demanding, as you can progress at whatever rate feels comfortable. In short, it's just sort of making up games to increase your familiarity with the instrument. Good luck!

THEN add these into the FFcP exercises recommendeed above, and watch the rest of us try to catch up!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

I agree with Bauzi. Do it right from the very beginning and learn Ted's scales at http://jazzmando.com/SuperFFcP.pdf . They also help drill things into your head that you will use later.
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

As another newbie to mandolin, and the forum, I'd just like to say "Thanks" for this thread.