Thread: My first 'good' mandolin

Smile

I've had a very cheap excuse for a mandolin collecting dust for a few years, but when I recently got the urge to buckle down and actually learn to play I took the plunge and bought myself something a little better. Weber Hyalite, D-hole, matte sunburst finish. I added the Weber armrest/tailpiece and picked up a couple of instruction books from fine folks here on the Cafe, and my fingertips may never be the same!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010137crop.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	6871  
    (This space available)

very nice, what are the specs on the hylite? i really like that shape with the d hole.

baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

What a great axe! How about some more photos?...Kerry

Agree, very nice! More pictures please.
    What are you wearing your fingers out on?
    Richard

Is the bridge adjustable, looks like its not. May needs some adjustment , if its hurting you fingers. I also like the D hole.
    John Dudeck

Show us the back view.

Registered Person

Looks like a Brekke bridge. You can adjust that under tension. Nice mandolin, I bet she sounds sweet!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (neal @ Feb. 21 2005, 15:46)
    Looks like a Brekke bridge. #You can adjust that under tension. # Nice mandolin, I bet she sounds sweet!

--------------
    To err is human, to moo, bovine.
    Yep, that's a Brekke. I've got one too. The adjustment under tension is a REALLY nice feature, but I'm hankerin' for a more traditional sound. Billiam's got a d hole mando with x braces rather than an f hole with tone bars, so I'll bet the Brekke is perfect for his mando.

Billiam, how does it sound? Are you enjoying it?

Neal, that sig file is pretty "low."

Daniel

Looks like a lot of fun.

Rick

Is the fingerboard conected to the top or is it floating? Looks great with a "D" hole, mine is an oval, and matte natural finish...later, dy.

Specs? Stock Hyalite other than the sunburst. Mahogany back and sides, not much in the way of flashy grain so the 'burst adds a lot to the looks. Brekke bridge, as noted. Flat fretboard, attached directly to the top. I doubt that affects tone too much, with that big ol' D hole between the fretboard and the bridge.

The sound seems to be changing day to day. Partially because the new strings are settling in after the tailpiece change, partially because it was apparently not played much by its first owner and it's finally getting a chance to play into form. Partiallly because I've had a cold, and my ears are congested! As you'd expect, it's a fairly warm, mellow sounding mando. Not a big woofy bluegrass chop, but that's not why I bought it. I'm liking it more all the time. It'll be a nice complement to an F5 style, should I ever be able to jstify a second instrument.

The action is fairly low, barely over 1/16th at the 12th fret. It was even lower when it arrived, to the point where there were some fret buzzes. Raising it a hair helped it play cleanly, especially up above the 12th fret (not that I ever play up there!).

My fingers are wearing out on the strings, from playing a bunch more than I'm used to! I don't build callouses easily, and they tend to peel off as fast as they form. So, my finger tips always look a bit torn up. Such is life. Wouldn't be a problem If I wasn't fighting the new player's tendency to put a death grip on the frets. I'm workin on it...

Bill
    (This space available)

I have the Weber armrest/tailpiece on my Kimble blacktop A-5-style mandolin #12(looks like Tim's!). I really like this piece of mandolin equipment;very friendly to the right arm. There is something about all the strings being attached to the very distal end of the mandolin that I like. I had this tailpiece on my Monroe model;but it didn't fit on that slimmer/shallower body as well as on the Kimble. I just ordered another Weber armrest/tailpiece for my Gibson Master Model. The price on the first Weber- armrest tailpiece was $80. The current price was $180. It is a functional work of art IMHO. It supplies the "Grit Laskin" comfort to the mandolin much better than the Siren-type armrests IMHO. Some modification may be necessary to fit the screw-holes;and well worth the effort. They are really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by (cameron @ Mar. 03 2005, 14:10)
    I have the Weber armrest/tailpiece on my Kimble blacktop A-5-style mandolin #12(looks like Tim's!). I really like this piece of mandolin equipment;very friendly to the right arm. There is something about all #the strings being attached to the very distal end of the mandolin that I like. I had this tailpiece on my Monroe model;but it didn't fit on that slimmer/shallower body as well as on the Kimble. I just ordered another Weber armrest/tailpiece for my Gibson Master Model. The price on the first Weber- armrest tailpiece was $80. The current price was $180. It is a functional work of art IMHO. It supplies the "Grit Laskin" comfort to the mandolin much better than the Siren-type armrests IMHO. Some modification may be necessary to fit the screw-holes;and well worth the effort. They are really nice!
    Weber still sells the base-model armrest (textured stainless steel instead of shiny polished nickle or gold). Elderly no longer lists it on their website, but it's available direct from Sound to Earth. Price is up to $100. Since my Hyalite came with the SS TP originally, I had no issue with the cheaper version!

BTW, they make these in two shapes, one to match their Celtic bodies (Hyalite, Bridger, Aspen) and another for the BG instruments (everything else). Gotta order the right one!
    (This space available)