Thread: Pikelny Sutton Bulla Bales & Cobb

Default Pikelny Sutton Bulla Bales & Cobb

Awesome show in Ann Arbor last night at The Ark...not all bluegrass but jammin' all around. J. Cobb wasn't the only one rippin' it. They are on a three month tour - check them out if in your area.

Default Re: Pikelny Sutton Bulla Bales & Cobb

Got my ticket for tomorrow night!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Just got home from the show at The Birchmere in Alexandria, VA.

Wow, what a great 2 hours! They played songs from Doc Watson, Guy Clark, Bill Monroe, and each others' albums as well as a few BG standards. The playing was fantastic, not flashy or overstated just plain good!!!

What a talented, fun, witty bunch. If they come to a venue near you go, you won't be disappointed.

Saw this lineup when they were playing with Ronnie McCoury. GREAT band with a killer sound. Hope they record, especially with Jesse on mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    Saw this lineup when they were playing with Ronnie McCoury. GREAT band with a killer sound. Hope they record, especially with Jesse on mandolin.
    Totally agree, Jesse was one of the most musical players I've heard lately. His warp-speed picking was crystal clear and his rhythm was very tasteful.

Jesse's more associated with the progressive take, but he took a traditional bluegrass friend of mine by surprise by how well he does a traditional sound when called for. Well, Duh! He does it all. And so does the rest of that band of pure pickers and fine vocalists (well, probably not Noam) on tour right now.
    I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I saw this grouping last evening at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville, TN. Phenomonal, is the descriptive of choice, partly because of the level of sheer skill involved, but also because nobody played too much and stuck out. I was even awed by the vocal pairing of Bales, Sutton and Bulla. I expected instrumental expertise from this lineup. I mean who wouldn't. But the duet and three part harmonies were exquisite. Noam even supplied a solid and resonant fourth part bass line harmony to a Carter family standard. Wow...... if you have a chance to see these folks together in concert, do so...... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...