Thread: Rocker Motion

Default Rocker Motion

Looking for info on the "rocker motion" pick technique similar to what Sam Bush does on Ragtime Annie.

Using Rocker motions seem to be a method to blend in extra notes in a very efficient and economical pick stroke.

Any pointers on songs to learn or resources that describe this style are appreciated.

I'm working on developing licks incorporating rocking into the FFCP's

I'm trying to improvise my own rocker motion but need to study more...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rocker Motion

Not heard of the term for mandolin before. Can you describe what you mean?
    It vaguely sounds like sweeping arpeggios or it could be cross-picking (using pedal notes etc.) or something similar.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I just did some Googling on this. Apparently there is a good description in the Sam Bush instructional DVD (is this what you refer to?). I own it, but it's at a different location, so I'll have a look for you when I get back home. From some youtube it sounds like what Beanzy is suggesting, a simplified application of cross-picking using pedal notes.

Nope, not on the DVD I have. Looking forward to hearing more from knowledgeable folks.

Yeah, i have the Sam bush dvd and the arrangements are great! They're a little tricky and are taking me a while to get down but sound really great as he uses a lot of interesting techniques

The technique is most similar to cross picking, but on strings that are next to one another, so it would be a down stroke on the d string and up on g followed by down on d up on g..., (or d and a, e and a, etc.) I suppose it really is just crosspicking but on lead.

Sorry for the lack of description...typing on my phone. the opener to ragtime annie really employs the method... I'll try to find another resource to help me elaborate. thanks...