Thread: House concert: Robin Bullock & Steve Baughman

Default House concert: Robin Bullock & Steve Baughman

Had a great time at Dreamguitars saturday night!

Robin Bullock and Steve Baughman did a house concert(which are always great at Dream), to about 60+ folks. We sat in Pauls living room and had pretty much front row seats for everyone if you think about it. The visibility and sound were excellent. This type of concert is more close and personable, and being able to spend time talking with the artist before and after the performance in an easy, laid back atmosphere just enhances the event. The preconcert potluck dinner was very good, as usual, and the opportunity to explore the instrument"vaults" and go GAS crazy just tops it off as a great way to spend an evening.

Robin and Steve(check out his clawhammer guitar DVD, also on youtube), did a most excellent fingerstyle performance hinting towards the celtic side of things, with some mandolin and guitar Bach arrangements of Robins.

Steve hauled out an openback Banjo for some light, calming, "lower your blood pressure" clawhammer banjo(yes, its true folks). His command of the clawhammer technique on the steelstring guitar is amazing-and so is his DVD on that skill. Just buy it and do it. His Circa guitar, though not that old, looked well used-and sounded really good.

Robin has a 2002 710 limited Taylor, and a 12 string Taylor(didn't ask the year-sorry). The 710 sounded very nice and had great tone. Just an excellent all around guitar. The 1920 Gibson A style oval mandolin was the trick also.

If you get a chance, definitely check these 2 guys out. Amazing artists, extremely friendly and funny-lots of funny stories.
    Each have lots of music to buy-i picked up some really nice Christmas CD's from Robin and 6 other CD's from he and Steve.

Robin performed this on the 1920 Gibson A:

d

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: House concert: Robin Bullock & Steve Baughman

When I read the thread title, I thought it referred to a future gig and asked my wife if we could afford to go. Robin Bullock is one of my heroes, and I'd love to see him live. I take it he doesn't live in Paris any more? It would have been easier for me to see him play in Europe.

You have clearly had a treat! Thank you for posting.

Default Re: House concert: Robin Bullock & Steve Baughman

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    When I read the thread title, I thought it referred to a future gig and asked my wife if we could afford to go. Robin Bullock is one of my heroes, and I'd love to see him live. I take it he doesn't live in Paris any more? It would have been easier for me to see him play in Europe.

You have clearly had a treat! Thank you for posting.
    he currently lives in Black Mountain, North Carolina (USA). Its a smallish neat mountaintop town with two acoustic shops and until just a few years ago, had a real neat old Inn to stay at(where my wife and i stayed on our honeymoon).

http://acoustic-corner.com/
    http://songofthewood.com/store/categ...tain-dulcimers