Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

Default Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

"Mandolins do not 'hold their value'"

Mandolins , and any other commodity, does hold its value. The "value" is established by the buying public when the item is offered for sale.

Holding the original purchase price, or appreciating at the annual inflationary increase is another matter.

And there are the very few instruments that do appreciate beyond original, or inflationary price.

Musing about holding value implies eventual sale. A predetermined course of action ?

One other thought, I see "value" and price to be different.

Best of luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    "Mandolins do not 'hold their value'"

Musing about holding value implies eventual sale. A predetermined course of action ?

That is my observation as well. I do not play catch and release. I buy for love and for keeps. So for me the eventual value down the road is irrelevant. And the extent that any customization may impact the value down the road is irrelevant.

I am alive now, and I am playing a mandolin now, and what might happen in the future is the future's problem.

If you are worried about future value I would buy stocks, not mandolins.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    That is my observation as well. I do not play catch and release. I buy for love and for keeps. So for me the eventual value down the road is irrelevant. And the extent that any customization may impact the value down the road is irrelevant.

I am alive now, and I am playing a mandolin now, and what might happen in the future is the future's problem.

If you are worried about future value I would buy stocks, not mandolins.
    The only reason I'm slightly concerned with future resale is because I'm not sure of what I want in a mandolin yet. I'm unsure about what nut width and neck shape I like, which I have become pretty picky about on guitars, so much so that I've sold keepers just because I couldn't deal with the neck shape. I prefer a 1 23/32" nut width and as chunky of a neck as I can get on guitar, what kind of nut width and neck do you guys think might be a good starting point for me on mandolin?

I do think I have found my mandolin (or more likely, mandolin builder and its not my guitar-building friend), I'm working out the details with him now, but I will let you guys know what I come out with

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    If I was looking for an instrument to hold its value, the last thing I’d do is buy new from someone with no reputation for building mandolins. Sure, you might get lucky and be working with the next Lynn Dudenbostel, but the odds are against it. No, I’d recommend that you buy used and appropriately depreciated from builders that have built a brand of quality mandolins. In your budget of $2500, that means a Collings MT / Pava for an A-style or, if you must have the scroll, a Nashville era Flatiron Festival / Northfield F5S.
    I bought a used 1982 lefty Monteleone Grand Artist (his first lefty) in 1986 for $2800. That was a lot of money then and a lot of money now. I'm pretty it has more than held its' value. But, I agree, most current luthier-made and factory made mandolins will lose value in resale.

I’d be more concerned about not taking to the instrument and likely go cheap first off (Kentucky 150, others here will have good choices as well) then you still get a reasonably good playing and sounding mandolin and can step up in 6-12 months if you decide to stick with it. As far as I’m concerned, nut width and neck shape (most Loar copies/modern bluegrass mandolins are v-shape - deep or shallow. Some makers however do produce rounded necks but they are fewer and far between. Generally speaking, the subtle differences in nut width and neck shape on a mandolin are negligible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeadFlatpick View Post
    The only reason I'm slightly concerned with future resale is because I'm not sure of what I want in a mandolin yet.
    My thought would be to spend as little as possible till I knew what I wanted. Borrow one from a friend and play it regularly or maybe rent one if possible. I see some libraries are lending musical instruments, guitars and mandolins.

Then you get a feeling for what you want, with little or no financial risk, and you can go boldly forth with your purchase when you are sure.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

7. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Buy a used instrument made by a reputable maker or firm that is in good condition and state of setup. Play as many as you can get your hands on and buy the one that you'd most regret passing up.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I think I would want to know a builders track record before I bought #1 from him or her. It may turn out to be a fantastic instrument, but guitars and mandolins are very different. I’d want to see a learning curve first. You can always buy #2 if it turns out to be fantastic.

Exclamation Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

People have been trained to revere famous Brands thing is you may have to hang on to that Gibson for decades to have it gain value..

Maybe houses are better investments? My parents bought their house in 1946 ,
    GI Bill, VA Loan $ 6000.
    when they died it sold for $200,000 in 2000.
    I looked @ Zullo , now its showing $750K .. SF Bay Area Price Bubble..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeadFlatpick View Post
    Is your Kentucky the newest version of the KM-850? I’ve heard the older ones arent the best. I have just about decided to not try and beat around the bush and just get a good US made mandolin and be done with it.
    The KM-805 is older, I don't remember what year it is (recent but not new.) It's a nice instrument to take to jams, where I won't mind if it gets a ding or two. If I know the jam, I will usually take the Pava.

Question Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

To Keep the selling price & dealer margin reasonable the Saga /Kentucky, contract source factory moved from Japan to Korea and them China..

all countries with long woodworking traditions..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture