Thread: Eastman needs new strings

Default Eastman needs new strings

So, I'm looking at all the D'Addario offerings on Just Strings. I used to use J74s or 75s, but I know they've changed the model numbers. Does anyone know the difference between the XS and XT strings other than $2? What do you use/recommend? I'm willing to pay for good strings as they should last me a while, I just need to understand the differences. Thanks.

Default Re: Eastman needs new strings

I prefer these strings. Even the cheapest mandolins sound good with it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210901_150104.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	196091

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Good Vibrations For This Useful Post:

How long do they last? My son liked the Elixir with Nanoweb coating until they tripled in price. Now he plays with D'Addario XT which also last better than most strings. He also has an Eastman.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Vibrations View Post

5. The following members say thank you to annetteangela for this post:

XT and XS are both coated. Is there a difference?

The EJM 75C are brilliant. In my opinion only. Maybe your son likes the nanoweb better but it's not the sound I like. The strings may last longer, that's right. I tried some different strings and this is my favorite.
    The strings are all silver colored. Not the bronze style like many others. But I like it although.

After struggling with quality control issues with DA (after using them for 20 years) I switched to GHS A270 or A260s. I don't mess with coated strings because my sweat chemistry isn't bad like some people's. I just change them when they start to sound muffled. Sweetwater still does free shipping with no minimum.

9. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

mr ken 

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    Yes. Originally I thought the plan was to have XS replace XT, which replaced EXPs. But, the XTs are still on their website, and it multiple gauges. XS are still only available in medium gauge. They cost $3 more per set, too, but are different, according to what I've read. I'll be replacing an XT set with an XS one, someday. The picture on the D'Addario website suggests that XS is the brightest sound of the PB sets.

https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...-medium-11-40/

https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...medium-11-402/

https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...osphor-bronze/

They are sure trying hard to provide something for everyone!
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

11. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

I've had XS on my Eastman MD515 for 3 months or so. They were available at my local shop and XTs weren't, so I can't compare.

XS feel a lot like Elixir Nanowebs - very smooth under the fingers. I've read XTs feel more like uncoated strings.

I'm very impressed with the coating on these XS's. Way, way more hardy than Elixir coating, which tends to get furry and discoloured in the picking area. No such issue here!

One thing about the XS's - they don't lose their edge like uncoated ones do. So if you like that fresh new string sound all the time, they're great. If you like a broken-in/slightly dulled sound, you'll be waiting for ever.

It's a trade off. I have OCD tendencies, so it's more tolerable to have a set of strings that sound a little brighter than I like, but CONSISTENTLY sound that way than to have a set of strings that sound broken in (a little duller) after a few days, but too dull after a few weeks, and dead after a few months. I really can't bear to have a set of strings (on any of my instruments) that makes the instrument sound different every time I pick it up due to the ageing of the strings. Rather have exactly the same sound until I eventually change the strings.

Bazz.

13. The following members say thank you to Bazz Jass for this post:

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Good Vibrations View Post

I have these on right now. I noticed the upgrade in sound quality between them and J74s immediately. They've lasted pretty well. Daily practice and 3 multi-hour shows over a month. I have a backlog of other strings to try right now but unless something really blows me away I should return to these for at least one more turn.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitch Stein For This Useful Post:

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post

XS feel a lot like Elixir Nanowebs - very smooth under the fingers. I've read XTs feel more like uncoated strings.
    I can confirm that. The XTs feel like uncoated strings (and according to the website description they actually are uncoated - in contrast to the XSs).
    So yes, there's a big difference between the two string types. Personally I prefer coated strings. So it's either Elixir of Daddario XS for me.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willi Bahrenberg For This Useful Post:

Been enjoying coated strings from Curt Mangan

I bought Monels while I investigate the XS/XT difference. I'll probably try the XS on my other mandolin -- as soon as I put a strap button on it.

20. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by steve in tampa View Post
    Been enjoying coated strings from Curt Mangan
    I've never tried any coated strings, but I started using Curt Mangan strings last year and have been very impressed with the tone, volume and sustain. I've used a lot of different strings on my mandolins, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello and guitars over the years. Only two brands have been audibly better than the others and that's DR and Curt Mangan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I've never tried any coated strings, but I started using Curt Mangan strings last year and have been very impressed with the tone, volume and sustain. I've used a lot of different strings on my mandolins, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello and guitars over the years. Only two brands have been audibly better than the others and that's DR and Curt Mangan.
    Mandobart, Thank you for that information. I recently put DR Blues strings on my Strat and they sound really great, making me think about the DR's on the mandolin.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I'm not saying all of them, but surely many of the quality issues were due to illegal knock off versions of their strings being sold online. Who you buy them from can be as important as what you buy.

Those are Monels.

Typo.
    J.Lane Pryce

Elliot jump on the batch of 75’s in the classifieds. There are 4 sets of j75, 1 set of 75’s monel, 1 set of exp 75 (coated). Make that contribution to the cafe and I’ll send them to you priority mail. Love 75’s however my newly acquired trigger finger says they are a no no. Maybe after surgery I can play them again.
    J.Lane Pryce

Anyone know where I can buy single Monel strings? I broke one putting on the new set and I'll buy a spare but would rather not break it up for one string. I tried just strings but they didn't have them.

Anyone know where I can buy single Monel strings? I broke one putting on the new set and I'll buy a spare but would rather not break it up for one string. I tried just strings but they didn't have them.
    Curt Mangan sells individual strings - ball end, loop end, phosphor bronze, Monel, plain steel, etc. Also every music shop I've ever been in, but selection/availability varies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Curt Mangan sells individual strings - ball end, loop end, phosphor bronze, Monel, plain steel, etc. Also every music shop I've ever been in, but selection/availability varies.
    Thanks. I want to match the D'Addario Monels I just installed. I may try it on my next restring.