Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Campanella Mandolin

Default Campanella Mandolin

I got a 2018 Campanella mandolin recently. It's basically an A-440, but with f-holes (shown on his website with an oval hole). I have owned a lot of mandolins, and played a lot more. This may be the best sounding mandolin I've played. Wonderful volume and clarity. Rings like a bell, as they say. And the violin-style sides give it a unique look. Just wanted to throw my recommendation out there if anyone is considering one of these.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campanella1.jpeg 
Views:	639 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	180382
    Last edited by 1Yooper; Oct-07-2019 at 12:20pm. Reason: trying to attach pic

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1Yooper For This Useful Post:

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Default Re: Campanella Mandolin

Beautiful! I do love that violin styling.
    Peace

Congrats on your Campanella.

Beauty!

Congrats! Those Campanellas are lovely. Would you be the same Yooper who recently sold your Brentrup?
    What music style(s) do you play?

Very classy mandolin.

I have to say though that picture freaked me out at first. I thought why in the world would you prop your mandolin up like that. Then I realized it was just the way the picture was turned. Duh

adam

Sweet!
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Actually, I traded the Brentrup plus cash for this Campanella. The Brentrup was great, but the oval hole sound wasn't quite what I wanted.

I bought a used Due this summer and this A440 about a week ago

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45869B13-94B1-441D-BA4F-9B9CD9EBB4D9.jpeg 
Views:	383 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	180387

Probably the best oval hole I’ve played or owned. I played some tunes with a friend this afternoon, and you could hear the sound bouncing off the walls.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

I got a closeup look at a Campenella F style a while back. Didn't get a chance to play it, but it's like holding a work of art. Aesthetically beautiful if you like the look of an old violin. Owner only played it a couple of numbers since he was the bass player primarily. It was a pure acoustic show and didn't cut through particularly well. What I could hear sounded good.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I played a couple of his mandolins when Joe was first starting. I really would love to play one of the more recent ones. They are beautiful, perfect aesthetic for my eyes.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I bought a used Due this summer and this A440 about a week ago

Name:	45869B13-94B1-441D-BA4F-9B9CD9EBB4D9.jpeg 
Views:	383 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	180387

Probably the best oval hole I’ve played or owned. I played some tunes with a friend this afternoon, and you could hear the sound bouncing off the walls.
    I don't think Joe has ever made one like this but when I first saw his Dué I was looking for the ultimate 2-point oval hole and photoshopped this to see how it looked:

Name:	campanella_oval_projected.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	182155
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I sure wouldn't mind having one of these in an A-5 or F-5 style! I personally think that the fiddle look on a mandolin screams class! The ones I've heard on demo videos are killer, I would have to have the board extension, pickguard and a different peghead inlay as the bell just doesn't do it for me and then it would be perfect and really set off the whole package-SWEET!

There is at least one oval hole Due out there. I’ve played it when it was for sale at TME. The
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

It sounds like Music Emporium is handling Joe's orders? So, I would assume that William will have to contact them to order a custom Campanella F-5 with those features. If you notice on my photoshopped image I "installed" a fretboard extension over the soundhole, very much like a Lyon & Healy A-model. Or would you want a full "florida" on your Campanella, William? And what design would be on the headstock?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

There is at least one oval hole Due out there. I’ve played it when it was for sale at TME. The
    Looks like the water must have started boiling— see the "The" on the end of your message. Were you going to tell us more?

Thanks, Mary. I stand corrected.

There must be at least two if there was one at TME.

I found these images of another with a non-James tailpiece,so must be earlier than the one below. One photo was from eBay and the other from Pinterest and said it was made in 2013. Looks like the same one from the look of the pickguard.

Name:	ovalholeDue-ebay.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	182159 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ovalholeDue-pinterestjpg.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	182160

Ah, I found another one. This from this thread from Trevor at TAMCO in the UK. I wonder who bought it, I assume it is in the UK somewhere.

Here are the photos he posted last year:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8586.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	182156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	182157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment-1.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	182158  

Last edited by Jim Garber; Dec-22-2019 at 5:15pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

No, there wasn’t anything more. Other than I am finding all these iOS upgrades on my iPad disruptive. Too many bugs.

As for ordering a new one, the guys at TME told me it is true, they are the sole dealer for Joe and he is no longer taking orders himself. I’m wondering if he’s going to build on spec as Heiden has decided to do, and you either buy it or you don’t.
    Last edited by Mandobar; Dec-22-2019 at 4:14pm.

As for ordering a new one, the guys at TME told me it is true, they are the sole dealer for Joe and he is no longer taking orders himself. I’m wondering if he’s going to build on spec as Heiden has decided to do, and you either buy it or you don’t.
    I think Will Kimble does the same, right? Another one on my short list. Makes a lot of sense. This way you build what you want and don't have wait lists or deadlines with customers contacting you wanting to know when theirs will be ready. Sounds like there is a real demand for Joe's instruments so why not. He can then concentrate on building and these beauties will market themselves.

Of course, Mandolin Cafe plays a strong role in this pipeline, too, for this builder and others.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Dec-22-2019 at 5:14pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim,

I'm not sure about Will, but that may be. It takes a lot of time to deal with individual buyers. I don't think that more than 20% of the people that inquire actually place orders. The rest take up a lot of minutes and hours in the day. So, becoming exclusive to a dealer or several dealers is a step towards streamlining the process for a luthier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It sounds like Music Emporium is handling Joe's orders? So, I would assume that William will have to contact them to order a custom Campanella F-5 with those features. If you notice on my photoshopped image I "installed" a fretboard extension over the soundhole, very much like a Lyon & Healy A-model. Or would you want a full "florida" on your Campanella, William? And what design would be on the headstock?
    I would like a type of neat Fern or Flowerpot but different that say the Gibson traditional of either one? I'm just speculating as I sure don't need another mandolin as I have heard of very fine 20's-30s Gibson F-5's and depression era F-7's and a 1935 rare bird F-12 also some very fine 30's A models. I'm also still waiting on my 1934 Joe Wilson F-5 that David Harvey is working some magic on. That is a very historical mandolin and perhaps the first serious early attempt at an F-5! This one passed many hands and no one put any cash in it but I seen he potential and have faith it'll be a unique killer mandolin-a one of a kind no doubt about it so that's getting a neck set, Loar style tone bars as there was no bracinag at al in it, also new fret board with replica inlays like the original andall new correct hardware! David had to cut a dovetail in her as it has a violin neck joint! This one should be a great one when work is done and finished! I'm 99% positive it'll be sweet!

Two new Campanellas at TME. Prices seem to rise with each addition of new ones. This time: an A5 and a Due, $7900 & $10,100 respectively.

A-5: https://themusicemporium.com/products/campanella-a5

Due: https://themusicemporium.com/product...la-due-2-point

Oops, didn’t see this F-5 at $13,975. https://themusicemporium.com/product...a-f-5-mandolin

BTW correct me if I am wrong but “two” in Italian does not have an accent. Not sure why TME puts one on it. Mick?
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-23-2022 at 9:45pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Three. There’s a F5 for 13.9k

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Mary, the A440 you mention above in post #8 . . . did you recently part with it at TME? -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Duuuuuude. That F-5…if I hadn’t just taken my post work COVID shower I’d go take a cold one. Absolutely stunning. I know it’s not traditional, but I couldn’t care less. That’s a gorgeous mandolin that I’d venture has the tone to match…
    Chuck

And, William, can’t wait to hear how your 1934 turns out (I like weird stuff, but I do have a healthy respect for the classics)…
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by twaaang View Post
    Mary, the A440 you mention above in post #8 . . . did you recently part with it at TME? -- Paul
    Yes, Paul

I was at TME when they received the first Toole mandolins and was blown away.

I played them side by side for a few weeks and ended up consigning the Campanella.