Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Sullivan F

Default Re: John Sullivan F

I agree about the unique Sullivan sound, Demetrius. When I had my 2001 Sullivan I thought it was similar to Caleb's and I was thrilled with it. Plenty of volume and tone. I played a lot of Old Time fiddle tunes on it like Caleb, and it worked great. I eventually had to sell it to finance a MAS purchase, but I do miss it! The buyer was from the Northwest and he (half kiddingly) said he was "repatriating" it to the Northwest.

I've got to think investing in 100 hours of lessons coupled with 1000 hours of practice would make you sound better than buying an incredible mandolin, but after having done the former, that special instrument would be swell.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I've got to think investing in 100 hours of lessons coupled with 1000 hours of practice would make you sound better than buying an incredible mandolin, but after having done the former, that special instrument would be swell.
    100 hrs of lessons cost $5k at $25/.5hr
    You could have a sweet mando and still practice your fanny off

Not knocking lessons, as I taught for a decade, and have taken hundreds of hours of lessons. I just wanted to put and economic lens to that thought. BTW, Dem has expensive taste in mandolins, and he's downgrading based on tone taste, and possibly the economics of his new kid.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

From mandobar - " People like Kevin Burke, John Reishman, Sharon Gilchrist, etc. are pretty much wed to the instruments that they are playing ". I can understand that 100%. I own 3 lovely instruments,but if i could only keep one of them,it would be my Lebeda "Special" - not because it's the 'best' (subjective term) sounding one,but i simply 'relate to it' It's beautifully made,as easy as any mandolin could ever be to play & 'for me',it looks terrific. I wouldn't trade it for any mandolin on the planet - literally !.
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The mandolin Andrew is performing with in the #1 post here is a Duff... seen about the 4:18 mark.

Hope you find the Sullivan your longing for, I'm sure that would be a great find

7. The following members say thank you to sideman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sideman View Post
    The mandolin Andrew is performing with in the #1 post here is a Duff... seen about the 4:18 mark.

Hope you find the Sullivan your longing for, I'm sure that would be a great find
    Interesting.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by sideman View Post
    For some reason, the video in the #1 post will not work for me. If someone could post a link to it, I'd appreciate it.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Many moons ago Dawg said to(I forget what mandolin maker;Gilchrist maybe?) when asked what sort of tone he wanted from the
    instrument,"Just make it pretty and I'll worry about the tone." Or something like that.

Read a couple comments about Thile's Loar having a tone that some find unappealing;or,not that great.

Some people just cain't be satisfied. Me included,I'm afraid. Mandolin variety is nice imho.

From V70416 - " Some people just cain't be satisfied.". Is it only about 'satisfaction' though ?. For some folk,it's the 'search' that's important,then,when they find their desired object ,& they've achieved what they wanted to do,it's a real downer. It's the 'anticipation' that's the 'buzz',not the achievement !. Most folk like that then need something else to search for,for their 'next fix'.

It's similar to the old saying by Robert Louis Stevenson - ''To travel hopefully,is a better thing than to arrive''. Ask me how i know !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The tone in that video is indicative to what I have experienced with the x-braced Duff mandolins that I’ve played. They have that open, “ringy” tonal quality that wafts out there in front of you, mingling in the air, and then eventually evaporating. Kind of like those bubble wands you played with as a kid. Great instrument for backing vocals, and playing all kinds of fills and harmonies.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I know there are some incredible mandolins out there that stand above the rest, and I think that is one of those mandolins! Wow!

There is much truth in what you say, Mandobar(imho)

John was a friend of mine and lived a couple of blocks away when I was in Portland. He would have laughed at all of us and said play whatever you have and live life to the fullest because it will be over before you know it....

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Just if you weren't already aware, John was a well loved member of the banjo community too. And his banjos are equally well loved.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Give a look and listen to this great Sullivan F5 in Andrew Marlin's capable hands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCiT0Ebqtys
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Beautiful tone....Hey Evan...is it Nugget weekend?? Welcome back!

21. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EvanElk View Post
    Give a look and listen to this great Sullivan F5 in Andrew Marlin's capable hands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCiT0Ebqtys
    This is my top Andrew youtube clip. that first break is just sick...

23. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Love their take on traditional numbers. Andrew sounds fabulous on whatever ax he’s playing!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Just if you weren't already aware, John was a well loved member of the banjo community too. And his banjos are equally well loved.
    I believe this is inaccurate.

The Sullivan Banjo company was a different Sullivan from the former John Sullivan that built mandolins, guitars, harp guitars, and fiddles in Portland, Oregon that we are talking about. I was at John's place one day when he got a nasty cease production and use of the Sullivan name legal letter from the banjo guys. He asked me if I knew who they were, then we both got a laugh as he threw it in the garbage while muttering a couple of choice words.

27. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Many are similarly unaware that before he veered into lutherie, John had a pretty successful career as a heavyweight boxer Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John-L-Sullivan-1995-3x2gty-58b998a63df78c353cfc4456.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	176002
    Last edited by EvanElk; Apr-13-2019 at 7:16am.
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

He was in fact a fine boxer. I always referred to him as the Stumpville Slugger. A great man with a fine mustache.

This is a clip of one configuration of the band Jackstraw doing their Tuesday night gig in Portland, OR. David Pugh is putting his Sullivan F5 through its paces. Sorry about the poor sound quality but it's just a phone video. I've played 3 John Sullivan mandolins and thought they all were great mandolins. This one, my favorite, feels to me and sounds like the few Loars that I have had the pleasure to handle.
    Last edited by rick frank; Apr-16-2019 at 1:03am.

aa
    Last edited by rick frank; Apr-16-2019 at 1:06am.