Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPS rant

Default UPS rant

I know, carriers are all the same, but I have a guitar that is going to take four days to finish the last 60 miles of it's journey. Why? Because they can according to their contract.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: UPS rant

USPS isn’t any better. I ordered an item that came within 30 miles, went back out west and then came back again! Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I know, carriers are all the same, but I have a guitar that is going to take four days to finish the last 60 miles of it's journey. Why? Because they can according to their contract.
    Curious. Was this a guaranteed delivery date deal? Every time someone has sent me something with a guaranteed delivery date they held it like that.

Because it's a really big box?

I'm guessing most likely thing is label is damaged/missing, like this othre banjo rant https://www.banjohangout.org/topic/359236
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Been having a lot of bad luck myself with couriers. USPS has had things bounce between cities on the east coast before being delivered here (Minnesota). The CA bridge I ordered that should have been here yesterday might show up early next week. But it could also be lost. There have been no updates since Wednesday on where it is.

Everyone seems to be having trouble this holiday season. And the weather is definitely a factor. Just hoping everything shows up for everyone eventually.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Secret.

Have the shipper mark GIFT on the box. UPS treats it like gold and won’t hold them.

My brother has been at UPS for 30 years, been a driver for 20.

8. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

I have hated UPS ever since I ordered a Classical guitar a few years ago and the driver left the box in the middle of my driveway! Granted I live rurally and my driveway is 250 feet long, but at least put it to the side of the driveway (if you are not going to bring it to the house,) not in the MIDDLE of the driveway! Ever since, I have used USPS (their tracking is not great but they put packages on my porch.)

I order a number of large photo prints from CA and Fedex handles shipping. I have been very pleased with them, in particular because their website is easy to navigate and lets me arrange the date of delivery or it lets me arrange a location of so that I can pick them up myself (which I prefer to prevent a box being left on my doorstep). I've tried the same with UPS and their website is difficult to work through. If given a choice I prefer Fedex.

+1 for FedEx. It's often less expensive than UPS and I've yet to have a package go missing or be damaged. Top rate service.

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    +1 for FedEx. It's often less expensive than UPS and I've yet to have a package go missing or be damaged. Top rate service.
    I can't agree with this as I've had a couple of badly damaged packages delivered by FedEx...-1 for them..

Well I guess my call had some effect, because my delivery is now Monday. All the more frustrating because it is now four miles from my house.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Let me disagree slightly re: US Postal Service. I had a mandocello shipped to me from Canada, and went out briefly on a Saturday morning. When I got home there was an "attempt to deliver" notice in my mailbox. I was worried that the instrument, a century-old Waldo, wouldn't like to be hanging around in an overheated truck for the rest of the day, then stored somewhere until I could pick it up later. I went to the post office that handles delivery to my house, and they called the postal worker on his cell phone, and made arrangements for me to meet him and receive the package.

I've dealt many times with bureaucracies where the answer is, "Our procedure is thus-and-so, and we can't make exceptions." This was just the opposite, and while I thanked the USPS workers profusely at the time, I think their going the extra mile, warrants public recognition..
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I love the USPS. They helped me walk from Mexico to Canada. They deliver on Sundays. Stuff that is mailed regular postage get there just as fast as priority mail. If you order priority mail, you can forward your package to another location free of charge if you don't open it. And you can mail stuff to yourself to the post office and go and pick it up there. This makes it useful for people with or without homes (or living out of a backpack on the Pacific Crest Trail.)

FedEx usually does OK but my last experience with them was disappointing. The shipper took my package to them Friday and the tracking said it was due Tuesday. Instead, they just let it sit at the original destination over the weekend and delivered it the following Friday, Thursday being Thanksgiving.

USPS is way better than UPS any day for shipping..

UPS just like Purolator had me reopen a box prior to shipping to make sure the contents were as stated at the depots.. I would never use those companies nor would I get anything shipped from those companies again.. they mishandle items at there docks.. and they do NOT care..

I shipped an instrument over a week ago via FEDEX and the day it was supposed to be delivered, tracking was still showing the package in a different state. Late that day the status changes from being delivered that day, no "no status available". Where it remains without update for 2 1/2 more days until this morning where it is still in "no status available", but there was an update to the location. I am very unhappy with Fedex at this moment, and am glad I spent the money for full value insurance.

Well, I’m guessing the shipper, a business, contacted UPS because it was delivered Saturday. Had I not been proactive, it would have taken another three days. But I hate to badger a business, but dang if it doesn’t get results more often than not.

But my D 35 is glorious. A D 35 with a crisp clean and punchy tone. I’d sworn off rosewood dreadnaughts forever. This one is a mutant.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

20. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

===========

As someone who has done shipping/receiving work for most of his life, I can relate personal experience that USPS is my most trusted source for safe, fast and affordable delivery. (Keeping in mind that nobody and/or no company is perfect.) FedEx ground shipping is usually pretty reliable and well priced as well - but (unfortunately) UPS is usually just one or two steps up from being a joke. Aside from my less-than-stellar experiences with them (I could yell you plenty of personal stories - including the time that one of our best known Cafe sponsors nearly wanted to kill me because of a UPS mess-up), I have also heard many UPS horror stories from UPS employees - both past and present.

'What can brown do for you?' Not much - but thanks for offering anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    As someone who has done shipping/receiving work for most of his life, I can relate personal experience that USPS is my most trusted source for safe, fast and affordable delivery. (Keeping in mind that nobody and/or no company is perfect.) FedEx ground shipping is usually pretty reliable and well priced as well - but (unfortunately) UPS is usually just one or two steps up from being a joke. Aside from my less-than-stellar experiences with them (I could yell you plenty of personal stories - including the time that one of our best known Cafe sponsors nearly wanted to kill me because of a UPS mess-up), I have also heard many UPS horror stories from UPS employees - both past and present.

'What can brown do for you?' Not much - but thanks for offering anyhow.
    I used to work for UPS on the ramp unloading the jets and putting the huge bins with your items inside those bins. You would not believe how mishandled your items recieved. I can vouch for many guitar boxes being stacked inside. Box trailers with 100 lb boxes of bolts thrown on top. Just a joke.
    Last edited by slimt; Dec-09-2019 at 9:23am.

As far as day of delivery service goes, it all depends on the individual worker. Some obviously have had good service with USPS workers. But I've had packages that were supposed to come to me instead be delivered via the USPS (rural carrier) to other addresses. Of course the carrier checked "package delivered" when they put it on the wrong porch, which was a mile or two away. That carrier's incompetence had a negative effect on me as I needed the part by Friday, it was supposed to be delivered on Wednesday, but I never got it until the following week.

I've also received other people's packages (most notably someone's medications) that had I not done the postal worker's job and delivered it properly, it could have had negative affects on the other person. I've also experienced the "unable to deliver" situation where the rural carrier simply didn't want to get out of her car on a rainy day.

When receiving a package, especially an instrument, I'd rather have it come via UPS. I'd have it held at the local depot and go pick it up.

I would rather sign for it at the post office prior to collecting. So the box can be checked properly for damage. Any issues can be dealt with there. . Ups is slippery when it comes to isurables and claims. They have there own under writters that determain value. Without knowing any thing about the products.

It is a bit busy for those folks this time of year. A little kindness and charity might go a long ways. You can bet they’re not just doing 8 hour days.

Quote Originally Posted by slimt View Post
    I would rather sign for it at the post office prior to collecting. So the box can be checked properly for damage. Any issues can be dealt with there. . Ups is slippery when it comes to isurables and claims. They have there own under writters that determain value. Without knowing any thing about the products.

Insurance claims get complicated. For several years I was the librarian for one of the orchestras I play with. We used rented parts for much of the music we played. Replacement cost for a score and full set of parts could easily reach $3K or more, particularly if a piece was out of print. Although I always insured the packages for stated value when returning them to the rental agencies, I was told more than once that if anything happened UPS would only cover the replacement cost of the paper. I suppose the same would hold true for rare books, artwork, etc.

Thankfully, my CA bridge was just delayed. Finally showed up yesterday. Installed last night. Happy picking soon followed.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723