Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Want to learn Jazz mandolin

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: Want to learn Jazz mandolin

Also, to learn jazz, you’ve got to know the blues.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

2. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post

I firmly believe you cannot play bop well unless you can play swing.

You cannot play swing well unless you can play trad (aka "Dixieland") jazz.

And you cannot play trad unless you can play the blues and ragtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Also, to learn jazz, you’ve got to know the blues.
    As you see, you agree with me on this.

As you see, you agree with me on this.
    Seems so.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

5. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Maybe, but just two guys opinions.

Ymmv

7. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

To you all who participated in this great thread, many thanks. It about makes me want to cry for my drums. I love jazz more than anything in music.

* oh and I did want to remember John Abecrombie whose records I collected because Pete Erskine was on them, and Towner, et al. But other cats have passed too, if I could but remember who..

9. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Maybe, but just two guys opinions.

Ymmv
    One of which is a native New Orleans jazz musician, which makes it his folk music.

And like other things, we all have opinions.

The other opinion would be something like "you don't have to know how to play blues to play jazz".

Tell that to Armstrong, ellington, Basie, Parker, Coltrane, Davis, etc.

11. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Blog Entries

We need to distinguish jazz blues from delta and Chicago blues. Jazz blues is jazz on a 12-bar blues chord progression. “St. Louis Blues” does not share much with “Born Under a Bad Sign”. What is shared are the melodic elements, which, to my ears, are the easy riffs one can do on guitar. Those are present in all popular music, including jazz. But jazz also uses Jelly Roll Morton piano figures, and Dixieland rhythms, and show-tune harmonies.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

13. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

[QUOTE=DavidKOS;1740255..........And like other things, we all have opinions.

The other opinion would be something like "you don't have to know how to play blues to play jazz".......[/QUOTE]

No, another opinion is 'don't confuse the historic origins of the music with the development path of all modern players.'
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

15. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Following up on what Mr Wright said about distinguishing Jazz Blues from delta to Chicago Blues, I don't think the distance is Always that far. Most of the early big name Chicago guys, Muddy & Wolf, came from the Delta Blues & their Music took an Uptown turn once they reached Chicago. Muddy was almost exclusively a slide player until me met Blue Smitty & learned a citified approach. Guitar players such as Louis Meyers & Robert Lockwood, in their backing of Harp player Little Walter, certainly borrowed chord extensions & voices they shared with Jazz players. Even some early Buddy Guy, you'll hear some Grant Green & Burrel borrowings. I heard Sammy Lawhorn (& got to jam with him) use similar chord ideas, even ending a tune with a major 7th. Wayne Bennet backed up Bobby Bland & was a quite sophisticated player. I got to hear him back up Bobby once in Chicago in a rare reunion. He was very tasty.
    When ever I heard B.B. live, I would pay attention to what ever rhythm guitar (or Piano) player would play behind him. Again, very tasty.
    There may be artificial walls between Jazz & Blues, but there are cracks in those walls. Ever hear Chuck Berry play St. Louis Blues? Quite fun.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

17. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

That looks like good material. There's some other resources i like, https://www.jazzadvice.com/ and Jens Larsen's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/jenslarsen02/videos. And Dix Bruce's swing jazz tab books (for mando, guitar, violin)

This was a good recent thread, enough people have mentioned Barry Harris that i think i will commit some time to the method https://mandolincafe.com/forum/threa...69-Improvising
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Morse View Post
    Harder to find, but they’re out there are Homer and Jethro’s “Playing It Straight” and “It Ain’t Necessarily Square.”
    These amazing recordings were re-issued on a single CD a few years back, and Elderly Instruments has been carrying them since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    We need to distinguish jazz blues from delta and Chicago blues. Jazz blues is jazz on a 12-bar blues chord progression. “St. Louis Blues” does not share much with “Born Under a Bad Sign”. .
    Jazz blues seems to be somewhat older...like 20's:

http://www.midnightflyerblues.com/fi...recordings.htm

https://www.earlyblues.com/chronolog..._on_record.htm

21. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    No, another opinion is 'don't confuse the historic origins of the music with the development path of all modern players.'
    Indeed it is.

Another opinion is "modern players that do not include blues, "Trad" (Dixieland) and swing into their understanding of 'modern' jazz are not really playing jazz but some other form of improvised music".

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Indeed it is.

Another opinion is "modern players that do not include blues, "Trad" (Dixieland) and swing into their understanding of 'modern' jazz are not really playing jazz but some other form of improvised music".
    Are these quotation marks around a David quote? Or from someone else?

In any event, I think this sounds like a very reasonable position to take.

And a sentiment which I will likely quote myself!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

An example of breaking the boundaries, check out Allen Toussaint’s Bright Mississippi album. I’m sure my buddy, David from New Orleans, will appreciate this. Mr Toussaint recorded this album, the title track is a Monk tune based on the chords of Sweet Georgia Brown, of early trad, Jelly Roll, & Duke tunes. Appearing on the album were Don Byron, Nicholas Payton, Joshua Redman, Brad Mehldau, & others. A wonderful recording. I heard him at play it with some of the same players at Chicago’s Symphony Ctr, on his birthday. A most enjoyable evening.
    So he have a New Orleans R&B piano man, playing “trad” Jazz/Blues, with “modern” Jazz Musicians. & it worked beautifully.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Are these quotation marks around a David quote? Or from someone else?

In any event, I think this sounds like a very reasonable position to take.

And a sentiment which I will likely quote myself!

Mick
    I admit to it being one of mine.

29. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I admit to it being one of mine.
    I like it! Thanks....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

31. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

As, I think one of the two guys who have an opinion, I am a musicologist and historian who has taught 19, 20 and 21st century vernacular music at universities. My opinion might not be worth much, but others seemed to think it has value, even if limited value.

33. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    An example of breaking the boundaries, check out Allen Toussaint’s Bright Mississippi album. I’m sure my buddy, David from New Orleans, will appreciate this. Mr Toussaint recorded this album, the title track is a Monk tune based on the chords of Sweet Georgia Brown, of early trad, Jelly Roll, & Duke tunes. Appearing on the album were Don Byron, Nicholas Payton, Joshua Redman, Brad Mehldau, & others. A wonderful recording. I heard him at play it with some of the same players at Chicago’s Symphony Ctr, on his birthday. A most enjoyable evening.
    So he have a New Orleans R&B piano man, playing “trad” Jazz/Blues, with “modern” Jazz Musicians. & it worked beautifully.
    Joe B
    A truly remarkable and unique album.
    Toussaint's final album, American Tunes, was (I suppose) intended as a follow-up but didn't quite reach the same level.

And you cannot play trad unless you can play the blues and ragtime
    I just started playing Pig Ankles, Entertainer and Dill Pickle... [MAS] Thinking about a resonator or banjo mando
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Tom, I think moments notice is by Oliver Nelson, IINM.

David, in fact I don't know - only observing (by way of Holland, Mingus, et al) the departure from simandl. But that of course is logical wrt jazz.

Probably nearly all players at that level have studied simandl, and perhaps modified it as needed/personal preferences.

My remark is likely wrong - prbly everyone of that caliber has studied position exercises, simandl, rabbath, whomever... and if not while developing, certainly when entering academia (such as the case with Holland).

Tenor/plectrum banjo. My 5-str playing was always BG, OT, "classic,"...
    Holland studied at conservatory. That instrument needs a strong fundamental foundation, or it will hurt you.

I like to transpose solos I like. It’s not just gaining vocabulary, it training your “insides” too. Those have to be educated just like your chops. Rarely do I sit down and write out the solo, but just play it along with the soloist. If I can’t figure out how the solo relates to the harmony, then I will write it out. Lately, Been going through Leo Parker’s recorded output. Man that’s good stuff! Occasionally will look at a Pepper Adams solo. That’s a challenge! there’s something about the baritone players.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    Joe B
    Great album...don't forget guitarist's Marc Ribot's contributions